Leaky gaskets

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goatman

Reaction score
Using the great info on this site, I determined my stator was bad and replaced it. Unfortunately when all back together, the side cover gasket leaks oil. What is the best way to do this over with no leaks. I used new OEM gaskets on both covers. Do you think I can use the same gaskets since it has only gone about 15 miles? Should I put black RTV on both sides of the gasket and put it back together? I only used RTV where the rubber boots slide into the side cover. I used a gasket scraper and had all surfaces clean and smooth. I don't want to do this a third time, and waste more oil. Thanks. By the way, it charges great now.

Unless there is a deep score or a piece of cr*p on the mating faces then I'd be surprised if it was the gasket.

Be more suspicious of where the stator wires and pic-up coils come out.

I always use (sparingly!) some silicon sealer around these.

Provided the gasket doesn't tear when you take the cover off you should be OK to re-use it.
Inspect both the mating faces and the gasket and if OK re-assemble.

You probably know this but when tightening the retaining fasteners do this in several steps.
Tighten until all are just bedded onto the cover.
Half torque one fastener, next the one on the opposite side; back across and tighten the next one DOWN; back to the opposite side and tighten the next one UP.
Repeat until all are half torqued.
Set your torque wrench to the final setting and repeat.

The leak is probably around the rubber gromet and the wires going through the gromet, use black rtv worked in around the wires real good and around the gromet

The way to tell if it's the wires is if the leak continues after the engine is off. The grommet is well above the oil level even on the side stand, so it's only getting splashed with oil when the motor is running.

Park it, come back a couple hours later and wipe it down, then come back the next day and see if there's more drips.

I'm willing to bet your cover got warped on removing it. Mine did, I futzed around with it for months taking it on and off trying to get it to seal. No matter what I tried it leaked oil. Super-cleaned the surfaces, tried double-gaskets, tried RTV, tried Yamabond, tried some other sealant that was suggested, nothing worked, at least not for more than a couple weeks. Couldn't figure it out. Someone finally suggested the cover was warped.....laid it on a flat surface and it would "rock" slightly. Took the whole cover, jammed it against the giant disc sander in the shop, and instantly "low" spots emerged. 30 seconds on the wheel, the roughed-up texture was now uniform around the edge. New gasket (I used some Yamabond 4 on both sides of the gasket just to be sure), put it together, bone dry for over a year now. I did the same for the middle gear cover also, since that was drippy too.

For the stator cover you must use a gasket, otherwise your starter gear axles might get pinched and bind. . The middle gear it's optional. The dealer didn't have one when I did this, I just used Yamabond and haven't had any issues.

Thanks RaWarrior, I didn't think about the wiring grommets being above the oil level, in fact it doesn't leak when sitting. I did put rtv round the grommets, but must need more, unless my cover is warped. I will check that too. Thanks for all replies.

Back