Lids?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been running the Joe Rocket RKT 201 Gothic helmet for the past month, and really like it so far. The fit is excellent, very comfortable, and even on days that are in the high 90s it doesn't get too hot.

2010-Joe-Rocket-RKT-201-Gothic-Helmet-Black-Silver-Silver.jpg

KBC Urban Assault, I love it!

Attachments

• kbc_forces_helmets_urbanassault.jpg
    kbc_forces_helmets_urbanassault.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 7
I bought a Shark Evoline II ST "Moovit" modular helmet (not from the site below)
http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/sport/modular+helmets/shark_zzz+evoline+2+st+modular+helmet+-+moovit
to replace an elderly Shoei Wayne Gardner. I am a Shoei guy but have had many helmets over the years, including 3 manufacturers' modulars: a BMW, a Shoei, and this Shark. The Shark is the most comfortable and quietest of them all, and has the most features, including provision for a cellphone integration system.

Unique in its 'open' profile, you can actually wear it open and not encounter head-twisting aerpdynamic penalties, although as a rule I wear it closed. In hot stop & go traffic, I do sometimes wear it open. It is not too-heavy, and if you are looking for a modular style, I feel the features and the way it folds-back on itself make it the premier modular helmet today. The lowest price I have seen for the Series II ST ("Sharktooth"-their proprietary Bluetooth-compatible communications interface module) is $300. I bought mine at the end of the winter and paid about that out the door thru my friend's shop where I always get good deals.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/shark-evoline-series-2/
Here is a good article on it & some honest reviews. Some comment is made on weight, but that has never been a problem for me, I have a large neck and never felt it was a problem, but if you look like Don Knotts, who knows? The reviewers do favorably comment on its balance.

I bought an AGV modular for a friend and he is happy with it, the on-sale price was < 1/2 of what I paid for my Shark Evoline II ST, I tried it on before I shipped it off, and I am glad I spent the extra $ for mine, but the AGV was a good value for the $.

Arais never fit me, Shoeis do, but the Shark Evoline II ST is my new favorite. :thumbs up:

HJC CL-14 Smoke

Wife wears a HJC CL-15 Silver

Looking at HJC IS-MAX II helmets for both of us next season with Chatterbox XiB2-h attached

I just bought the BILT Modular that cycle gear has on sale untill the end of the month. Its on sale for half price 99.95 . It seems to be built pretty well & for the price you cant beat it.

Shoei helmets; usually one of the 3 that I have with the Troy Lee jester/joker design.

Jester 42

Shoei RF-1100. I've tried the HJC and Bilt brands before, but for me the comfort of the Shoei is great.

I bought a Shark Evoline II :thumbs up:

+1 on the Shark Evoline II. I have not found the weight to be any issue. The fit/finish compared to my older Shoei is outstanding. The flexibility of going open face or full face is tops.

+1 on the Shark Evoline II. I have not found the weight to be any issue. The fit/finish compared to my older Shoei is outstanding. The flexibility of going open face or full face is tops.

Yesterday I went out for a short ride to clean-off my plugs after it started running 'not-on-all-cyl's,' & having had to drain the float bowls & the fuel feed system, & a bit of the tank. I had just filled-up and I suppose some H2O got into the tank via the new gas. Yes 10% ethanol, which is pretty-much all I can find here any more (south FL). About a mile into the ride, the plugs stopped misfiring & the bike ran on all cyl's., thank God. The plugs don't have 500 mi on them. The fuel filter was replaced @ the same time. Still gotta get my brake pads bedded-in better on the front.

Anyway, I tried on my Shoei Wayne Gardner for the ride, and compared to my Shark Evoline II ST, I am glad I bought the Shark. It's slightly louder, as is the case w/modulars, but the ventilation of the Shark is superior to the Shoei. I see in reviews where the ventilation is referred to as 'adequate,' but from my experience, it is better than that modest rating. And, in the case of a modular, shouldn't they all receive 'outstanding?' After all, it's the same as an open-face once you open the chinbar.

About the only thing I have thought of doing is adding some reflective graphics patterned in the same shape as the 'Moovit' artwork it currently has. Conspicuity, you know! I got the white base color as I am always amazed on the road how-far away you can spot a white-helmeted rider compared to a black helmet.

I also found a receipt for the AGV modular helmet I bought for a friend in MI & shipped to him, $60! (75% off) It was a business liquidation after the owner died. The Shark had superior fit, finish, features, and comfort in a back-to-back comparison before I sent the AGV out, but it also cost more, you get what you pay for.

I have a few helmets. There are trade-offs for all of them. I have an Arai Quantum that I bought a few years ago. I got if for $199 on a closeout. The Arai is a luxury recliner for your head with excellent venting and it does not fog up. I have a Shoei RF-1000. It is a good helmet, almost as good as the Arai but it fogs up easily. I have an older Nolan N40 3/4 helmet with a retractable full shield. I love this helmet for summer riding and the field of vision is great. It too has good venting, does not fog up and is reasonably quiet for a 3/4 helmet. I had an HJC Symax modular but I did not wear it often so I sold it to my friend. It was a decent helmet and my friend loves it. These are all older helmets. I am thinking about buying the Nolan N43 Trilogy as my next helmet. See the link below. I like the removable chinbar and retractable inner visor.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nola...QQitemZ200625629758QQptZApparelQ5fMerchandise

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4sqZnqdtSs

Good luck!!

My problem with helmets is that I need a 3x to even remotely get a decent fit, I have a big ass head. Right now I have a Z1R helmet and it is okay....but I cant get used to wearing one...

Back