Limited Tire Selection Vmax 1700

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josephjhaney

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been looking for tires for the new ride, the ones on it now are stock and from what I've felt aren't as sticky as I'd like, this bike has a lot of get up and go, and she spins the back wheel pretty quickly. Any suggestions for stock size that are sticky? I'm not extremely worried about how long they will last, I wanna stick n go. :) Suggestions? I've dug though several posts and they seem to be looking for that "balance" tire, I'm looking for performance.

Joe

Bridgestone has been discontinued. What you see regarding those tires are the last of those tires. Metzlers, Chinkos, Avon, and Dunlop are your choices. You will have to experiment. My bike has 41K miles on it so its been through several sets of tires. These claims are my opinion. People will have differing opinions based on their experiences. My opinions are listed below.

For me....Chinkos "seemed" like the stickier tire. But the front tires are built like garbage and there have been a few people stating that they developed a wobble after installing, myself included. Rear tire lasted about 6000 miles. Front tires....first one wobbled so bad it was replaced in under 500. The second one had a less severe wobble that I rode for 2500 miles before it got worse. Of all the tires I tried, stickiness seemed to be top of the list. Overall, its been the worst tire I have used on my bike. I personally will never use another one of these tires again. No matter how cheap they are. They are cheap for a reason.

Metzlers come in second for me in regards to stickiness. The front tire is a dual compound and wears in a "W" pattern after about 5000 miles.

Bridgestone tires would be what I consider a "highway" tire. They did great on my bike for my riding style. They lasted me about 8000 miles.

Currently I am rocking Dunlops. I have yet to push these tires yet as I installed them at the end of the season. I have used a Dunlop for the front mismatching the rear. The front seemed very planted and eager to hold the road well. But I am not tracking my bike. They may not be sticky enough for the track.

I have yet to try Avons. I have not heard anything really about these tires. After my Dunlops are worn out, I will try these next.

In short, you will need to experiment what combo works best on your bike. Everyones riding styles are different.

Back