Local Independent Tech

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnclePhilthy

Reaction score
Hoping to find someone in the Tampa FL area, who is fairly knowledgeable with hands-on experience in wrenching on the Max. I have met a couple other local owners, but these are the ones that just let the local dealers do all the maintenance on their rides. I can?t really afford the labor costs, and want to be able to do a lot of the basic upkeep/upgrades myself.

My problem is in understanding what?s written in the service manual that I dl?ed from V Max Outlaw. There is a lot of info in there, and in here, but I still have several questions on certain procedures, that only someone that?s already done them, could answer or lead me through.

A couple weeks back, I read a post that someone wrote ?somewhere? in here, on simply removing the seat for access to the battery, coils, fuel filter etc. After using the search, ?seat removal?, and finally just ?seat?, wading through a few hundred posts, I still never found what I was looking for, and I know damn well it?s in here somewhere!

There was a good guy locally that did a lot of independent work out of his home, very helpful and reasonable, that unfortunately was killed by a cager that l/turned in front of him while riding home on his ?busa? Just about two weeks before I bought my bike in late Nov.

Wishing and hoping to find someone else like that somewhere nearby?

Hope y?all had a great Christmas!
Philthy

Hoping to find someone in the Tampa FL area, who is fairly knowledgeable with hands-on experience in wrenching on the Max. I have met a couple other local owners, but these are the ones that just let the local dealers do all the maintenance on their rides. I can?t really afford the labor costs, and want to be able to do a lot of the basic upkeep/upgrades myself.

My problem is in understanding what?s written in the service manual that I dl?ed from V Max Outlaw. There is a lot of info in there, and in here, but I still have several questions on certain procedures, that only someone that?s already done them, could answer or lead me through.

A couple weeks back, I read a post that someone wrote ?somewhere? in here, on simply removing the seat for access to the battery, coils, fuel filter etc. After using the search, ?seat removal?, and finally just ?seat?, wading through a few hundred posts, I still never found what I was looking for, and I know damn well it?s in here somewhere!

There was a good guy locally that did a lot of independent work out of his home, very helpful and reasonable, that unfortunately was killed by a cager that l/turned in front of him while riding home on his ?busa? Just about two weeks before I bought my bike in late Nov.

Wishing and hoping to find someone else like that somewhere nearby?

Hope y?all had a great Christmas!
Philthy

If you P/M one of us mods we can usually find it for you. We spend a lot of time here and know where a lot of stuff is hidden. Also, we work on our own bikes and could do a lot of it in our sleep. :thumbs up:

Just ask us on this site and i"m sure that we can walk you through it. That's what this forum is for.

Mike

'preciate the offers for assistance guys... and I'll sure take you up on them occasionally...

Mark, thanks very much for supplying the link to seat removal...that's exactly what I was looking for...

However, I still hope to find someone with experience around our neighborhood that can walk me through certain procedures at least one time...before I attempt them on my own.

For instance, I will soon be getting a sync tool, likely the vacuum gauge type, and still need to adjust the mixture on the carbs to a little richer mix as well... So far, I've not been able to even locate where the mixture screws can be found. Kinda miss the ol' S&S B model...where 2 easy to locate screws, and one easy to replace main-jet, cured everything...

I have been running some seafoam in each fuel addition, and the performance has improved measureably... the stuff really does work real well...

On the plus side...looking at possible low 80's and lots o' sunshine today...know what I'm gonna be doing??!!

Best wishes,

Philthy

'preciate the offers for assistance guys... and I'll sure take you up on them occasionally...

Mark, thanks very much for supplying the link to seat removal...that's exactly what I was looking for...

However, I still hope to find someone with experience around our neighborhood that can walk me through certain procedures at least one time...before I attempt them on my own.

For instance, I will soon be getting a sync tool, likely the vacuum gauge type, and still need to adjust the mixture on the carbs to a little richer mix as well... So far, I've not been able to even locate where the mixture screws can be found. Kinda miss the ol' S&S B model...where 2 easy to locate screws, and one easy to replace main-jet, cured everything...

I have been running some seafoam in each fuel addition, and the performance has improved measureably... the stuff really does work real well...

On the plus side...looking at possible low 80's and lots o' sunshine today...know what I'm gonna be doing??!!

Best wishes,

Philthy

I'll be driving right through Odessa on my way to Marco Island on the 6th, 7th or 8th... It depends if we take a small albeit fun detour to the tail of the dragon on the way down...:banana: I'm delivering a new car to my father.:thumbs up:

Have you looked at the Vmax map?:whistlin: http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=1485

Back