Longest lasting rear tire for gen 2?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have used the Me888 in the rear and gotten 11k miles out of it. This is no burnouts, but some aggressive throttling here and there.

Previously Metzeler didn't make the front in our size, so was still using the me880, and got 6666 miles in the first one, that ran little low. On the second one got 8k miles.

Metzeler finally got the Me888 in our front size and have one coming in this week. I had to go in store at cycle gear, because their website still doesn't show it. Hope get longer front tire life and still have good grip

I liked the 880 on the gen 1...
Wait til these battle axe are done and see what i get for mileage...
Last set rear was 8000km but should of had it off maybe 72-7500

Has anyone tried going Darkside on the Gen 2 Vmax 1700? And if so what tire are you using?

How the hell are you getting mileage like that? I've never gotten over 3500 out of a rear tire on any of my 3 Vmax's.

Gen 2
I run the battle axes and the work great for me
Lots of twisters here so they wear nice across the tread and stick like shit to a blanket it’s getting cooler now so the roads are changing still no issues at all
I will continue to run stocks as I really do like them
Peter

It's been a really long time since I've logged on here. In fact, I'm not sure I've even typed a post, but today's conversation on tire wear piqued my interest. I just uploaded my avatar of my 1985 Gen 1. In this picture it still has the old Dunlops. I've been riding bikes since 1980 and I've always used Dunlops, selecting their higher level performance tires since I never really cared how long they lasted. My biggest concern has always been sticking in the corners regardless of how long they last. When using the Dunlops, no matter what bike I had, the rear tire got 5000 miles or close enough to it that I'd keep them on till 5000 miles, while the fronts could get almost 15000 miles. In recent years I've gone on several promotional cruises where different motorcycle companies would take you on a group ride to try their bike. Each time I went on one of these, when I got back on my Vmax it felt, for lack of a better word, rickety. I came to the conclusion that it was because the test rides all had radial tires. Well, as most of you know, the Gen 1 Vmax has a 15 inch rear wheel and nobody makes a 15 inch radial tire. So, I started looking around for an inexpensive way to get an 18 inch rear wheel and while I'm at it, I might as well look at getting a modified swing arm so I can fatten up the rear tire at the same time. Well, needless to say, this was going to cost a fortune and with many other priorities in life, this just wasn't going to happen. Then last year my favorite motorcycle mechanic told me about some new tires called Michelin Commanders that not only stick better than anything, but they last longer. I was skeptical, but I had him put a set on my Gen 1 and I'm still in disbelief! It's like I got a new motorcycle! Smooth, Steady, Confident, and unbelievably STICKY! I don't know how long they'll last, but I don't care. They've got about 2000 miles on them and they still look like they were put on last week. So, maybe some of you have tried these and know how great they work as well as how long they last. As for me, I'm no longer looking for radials.

Old thread...but I've went through 3 Battlax's already on the rear of my '17, I'm getting ready to try the Shinko Verge 011 and see how they do.

Old thread...but I've went through 3 Battlax's already on the rear of my '17, I'm getting ready to try the Shinko Verge 011 and see how they do.

You will be sicker, and quicker. ;)

I don't know how much longer the Shinko will last but it hooks better than the stock tire.

The handling of the Battlax is quite neutral.....you'll find the Shinko quicker to turn in, but you'll quickly get used to it (if you mount one on the front as well).

He is saying, that he wouldn't recommend running a battle axe in the front with a shinko oon the rear

I support the shinko recommendation. Bike handling and hooking characteristics are amazing compared to stockers. I’ve got 4500 on mine so far with two drag strip visits and aggressive street riding. Only thing I recommend is being extra careful in the rain or moist roads. The Tires quickly lose grip as the surface gets wetter. More so than the battlax or metzlers. I’ve been over 170 on this tire and have total confidence at speed or carving on/off ramps.

I have done a lot of rain riding unfortunately.. They are OK. The VMAX is what makes it tricky on wet roads, when you are leaned over and getting on it. Lots of torque to that back wheel. The Shinko price makes changing our the set a no brainer..

On my third rear 6,000 miles....2nd tire was due to a blow out at 1,200 miles. Tire failure, carcass separated. So the 2nd rear I just changed at 5,800. So I got 4,600 out of the stocker battle-axe. Didn't last long after the Nash flash lol. I'll be switching brands after this next change I'll be due for a front and rear.

My 2001 riding like an idiot most times and still got 10,000 miles out of my metzlers. Now this 12 i just bought the bike had 1200 miles and tire looked in sync with the miles basically new, the bike now has 2800 miles and damn near worn. I cannot for the life of me keep this tire from spinning 1-3. (Battleaxe) of course i can work into the momentum but damn the torque is just dumb. i think ill try the shinko next.

Back