Looking at a 1986 Vmax need info

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SDB

Reaction score
Looking at a one owner 1986 Vmax... 16,500 miles. I know old Yamahas pretty well but never had a Vmax. Owner says "clutch is soft needs bled"... So I am assuming it's a hydraulic clutch. I replaced the slave cylinder on my RSV. Is it pretty much the same with the slipper clutch on a Vmax?

Any particular things to look for when test riding? Always wanted a 1st gen and hopefully this one is as nice and stock as it appears (not sure if it's stock exhaust)

Attachments

• 20201030_154030.jpg
    20201030_154030.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 15
The V Max is relatively free of problems so if well maintained you wouldn't expect to find may problems.
I would always take a friend with me who will whip off your rose tinted glasses and point out any problems you have chosen to ignore.

There is nothing special with the Max clutch and it is not a slipper.

Have a read of this which should answer many of your questions.

The early ones had an issue with it slipping out of second gear but on a bike of that age you would hope it had been attended to.

Other potential issues are the starter clutch, these can become rattly if the roller retaining screws loosen and you would hear this on start-up.

The front headers are double skinned and can corrode and separate. They will rattle unless the owner has given the header a clout with a hammer.

As the bike will have spent some time sitting around the idle jets can block. Check that it idles OK when off choke.

You may have/ will be told about the the Orange O ring. IMO if the bike has survived this long there isn't an issue. It would be worthwhile asking if this has been attended to though.
All you need to do to make sure your motor is OK is to let the oil come up to temperature before giving it some welly.

If you do buy then I would do a full service regardless of what the PO says they have done.

Yes, I realised that when I saw this post in the other thread and didn't see my reply.

Confused, was it all a dream or had I finally cracked and hallucinated and that my delusionaly other self thought he had posted a reply; had the Russians/ Chinese/ N.Koreans hijacked my electrons before they got to the server?

No, the same query had been put in two places....why?

Beats the sh*t out of me! 👎

I put it in 3 spots here I think lol... Was going to pick up bike yesterday so scrambling for advice before I test rode it. I don't typically double or triple post so don't worry... Have to wait till next weekend due to weather and being 2 1/2 hours away... Supposed to snow today and don't want to rip on a 35 year old bike to see if it jumps out of gear in 30 degree Temps with snow and 40 mph winds lol

Back