Magnacharger for vmax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmaxguy

Reaction score
Im looking at buying a vmax with a magnacharger on it. The bike has a stock engine with 8lbs of boost. Would the engine hold up if it is tuned correctly? How much boost can a stock engine take? Thanks for your help.

In talking with Gary Voisine (turbovmax) he suggests no more than 7-8lbs of boost (with turbo) on a stock engine. He mentioned that he has run race fuel and turned it up to 12lbs but only for a short period of time.

If you want to crank the boost up a bit you need to get some pistons designed for boost with a lower CR (around 8:1). Carrillo rods would be a good investment also. I have heard there are a group of guys looking into a group buy of Carrillo Rods for a different engine from Morley Muscle. Not sure if you could get a reduced rate since you wouldn't be buying the same P/N but its probably worth looking into it.

Other than pistons and rods I am sure there are other things that should be done but I am not sure what they are. I'm a newbie when it comes to boost. But, I would think if you want to push the limits and go over 12PSI you may need to do some oiling mods to the lower end, might need different fuel pump and a regulator, might need to do something with the timing also. These are just guesses though.

Let us know if you score the bike! We will need some pics and a ride report!

Im looking at buying a vmax with a magnacharger on it. The bike has a stock engine with 8lbs of boost. Would the engine hold up if it is tuned correctly? How much boost can a stock engine take? Thanks for your help.

Tuned correctly 8psi of boost should give you around 165 rear wheel horse power plus tons of street cred.

14 psi is basically doubling the atmospheric air pressure and theoritically will double your horsepower, although actual results will be less due to "losses in efficiency"

6-8 psi for a stock engine is pretty much "rule of thumb" when it comes to any engine not designed for forced induction, usually because of weaker pistons, rods and too high of a static compression ratio creating too high of combustion pressures...

Depending on price I would buy it just to lay my hands on the supercharger.....

Got to have forged pistons if you going to boost it. My buddy tried it with 4 lbs and withing 1500 miles one piston gave out on him. Can not remember exactly what happened to piston but i do know it wwas not from lean condition. Put some JE pistons in it and do it right. Have also talked to some others with Magna and had the same thing happen.

Back