My First Ride

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thundermax

Reaction score
I have owned many bikes in my life. I thought members might find it interesting to see my first ride. I was 12 years old, 1965, and my older brother, by 9 years, bought this for me. I rode it for a couple of years before I got my next ride (will post next) and finally passed my drivers license test, took three tries, at 14 years old. Well here it is, a Cushman Model 721, 1958 Highlander! We have come a long way. My vmax is a 1998.

Attachments

• Cushman Model 721 1958 Highander.jpg
    Cushman Model 721 1958 Highander.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 34
Nice ! Our neighbor in Flint. Mi had a Cushman when I was growing up there in the 60's ! Ah the sounds of a Cushman or mini-bike roaring down the street !! Excellent memories !! :clapping:

No, it is long gone. Stopped riding it when I bought my 1960 Cast Iron Cushman Super Eagle in 1966, I was 13.

Attachments

• 1960 Cast Iron Super Cushman Eagle.jpg
    1960 Cast Iron Super Cushman Eagle.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 17
I've always admired the Cushman scooters, although I never owned one I thought they were cool, we always had a minibike or two around to get in trouble on, still have a bunch out in the shed along with the Manco cart my kids and their friends used to rip around on, I did notice in your pics the Cushman engines appear to run in a CCW rotation, Most of the horizional engines I have been around run in a CW manner as viewed from the flywheel side, did Cushman use a specific engine?................................Tom.

Tom I can't answer that question. Just do not know. I was too young to even know anything except how to kick start it and go.

The pictures are of ones I found on the internet. I researched and found pictures of the type of bikes I used to own. For some reason I did not take pictures when I was so young of the bikes I rode. Next post will be bikes 2 and 3. We are moving up in size!

Never noticed the rotation question either Tom. One thing that always stood out for me with the Cushman's was where they put the kick-start lever ... right in front of the engine ! Not off to the side like most motorbike had. Very different.

The method for starting a Cushman was as follows: Lift up the kick start off the floor into the top position. Holding onto the seat with your left hand and the handlebar/throttle with your right hand, jump up with your entire body placing your right leg/foot on the kick start with your leg in the straight and locked position. Once there, throw all your weight and muscles to pushing down the kick start as hard and fast as you can.

My Cushman scooters did not always start easily. I would have to kick them sometimes 10 times to start. And sometimes I would just have to walk away and take a break! As you can imagine, using my right leg in such a fashion was stressful on the leg during the growing life of my body at the time. As a result, and this is no lie, to this day and I am 59 now, my right leg is slightly shorter than my left leg.

Very curious............I wonder if this is a common issue amongst cushman owners/riders?.........................Tom.

My next ride after the Cushman Super Eagle was a 1971 Honda SL 100. It was a very easy to start, maneuverable, road and off road bike. Had lots of fun with it. I sold it in about 1972.

In 1974 I bought a super fast 2 stroke bike. The 1974 Yamaha RD350. Now it was a really fast bike. So fast you would have to put you weight down on the front end or it would come up on you! Unfortunately, it only lasted a year, it was stolen. But I really loved that Yamaha.

Attachments

• Honda 1971 SL 100.jpg
    Honda 1971 SL 100.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 1974-yamaha-rd350-3.jpeg
    1974-yamaha-rd350-3.jpeg
    50.5 KB · Views: 6
In 1975 after the Yamaha was stolen, I purchased what is said to be the very first super bike in the USA. The Honda CB750 Four.

Mine was a 1975 model. Paid $2,100 for it. Man it was really great. Easy on the body, no vibration, cruise on down the highway at 80.

Unfortunately, I had a near fatal crash in 76 and sold it in 77.

I will never forget this bike. I was really in love with it.

Attachments

• 1975 Honda 750.jpg
    1975 Honda 750.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 6
In the 80s started having children. When they got up to 4 and 5, yes 1 year apart, purchased a Honda SL 175 street/off road bike. Again, it was like my earlier SL, but just a little bigger. Rode it for a couple years.

Attachments

• 1971 Honda SL 175.jpg
    1971 Honda SL 175.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 4
Fast forward to Dec 2011. Purchased a 98 Vmax. I was originally looking for a Honda Nighthawk 750 Four. But when I saw a Vmax, I was kind of hooked.

It had been sitting for a long time. Only had 9,900 miles on it. After a few weeks at the mechanic, and several hundred dollars, I am riding it. After 25 years, I am having to get re-accustomed to riding, and traffic, and everything.

I even have to take a written and driving test to get a motorcycle endorsement on my drivers license, even thought my first license for that Cushman Super Eagle was issued when I was 14.

Looking forward to riding it in warmer air but I still ride when it gets about 50 degrees now.

That's all folks!

Attachments

• RandyVMaxJan142012.jpg
    RandyVMaxJan142012.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 7
Nice looking stock Max!............Taught my wife to ride on my cousins SL100, though she has not ridden in a long time she still maintains her CY endorsement on her Michigan drivers license just in case, my brother had a 77 RD400 with expantion pipes and jetting, yes, those things were fast for their time, I had a 72 CB750 myself in the early 80s, king/queen seat, apehanger bars, Harley rear wheel, etc.............I could set the thumb lock on the throttle, slide back up on the seat, use the passenger pegs and ride down the highway for miles back against the sissy bar leaning slightly for the turns, sold it just before I got married and bought a cage.......................................Tom.

1968 in new york, my first ride..................I had a dirt bike frame and this chopper frame

Attachments

• MarkwithChopper.jpg
    MarkwithChopper.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 16
That looks like a Bonanza chopper, very cool indeed!..............Your mom let you ride it in the house?.....................:biglaugh:.......................Tom.

It does look like a cool little mini bike:clapping:. Beekeeper look at the down spout to the right of the bike,.................I dont think hes in the house:ummm:

Miles long ,Ninja, :rofl_200:.................:ummm: do they make a gen II cushman?

Back