need help...hard luck story...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not completely sure what the deal is on Scotts bike. It was dynoing great on the dyno and the 4th run it just "popped" and then had no power over 6K. Engine sounds fine. I haven't ridden it since he did some work on it at the shop last night. He switched the CDI which wasn't it and V-boost seems to be working. He swapped in a new fuel filter (same problem as last year on dyno) and he said he thinks it's back to 95% of what it was when we got it done before dyno. I think carbs may have some crud in them and may be time to pull tank. If that things runs like it did before it will KILL about any stock bore Vmax reguardless of header, carbs and jet kit mods.

I think next we are going to slip on some flatslides (39mm) and maybe even some of the larger cams I have laying around. I'd like to see 140-145 rwhp and 90rwtq with the stock exhaust!!!! If it works like I think the combo would be great for guys wanting to build a similar combo and have great dependability and no sleeve dropping worries.

Sean

Oops, I jumped the gun a bit. I see Sean's taking good care of your situation...good thing. I'd still post the shop's name and location though to prevent others from getting screwed.

Mike Costa
VMOA #3531

the shop that screwed me is:
FastBikesUSA in Grand Rapids, Mi

and yes, Sean is taking good care of the situation.

Keep us posted as to what is going on with the shop. I'm not sure what exactly sean is doing, but i would be sure to call the better business bureau on them. If nothing else, just to build a paper trail in case someone else has problems as well.

update....(from over 4 years ago lol)

i ended up finding a local ex-yamaha mechanic, dan stadt (stadtcycle.com) that had started off on his own repair shop. he took the rebuild project on with direct phone and parts help from sean and he got it back together without an issue. Thing has run like a top and i'd guess that i haven't put but maybe 1000 miles on it since he put it back together. it's basically just sat in my garage since then with the regular battery tender switching, starting it up a couple times a year, and going for very rare rides on it (I have many other bikes).

enough time has passed....i think it's time for me to move on past this bike. it has an incredibly emotional tie for me....but i think it would be best if i sell this bike now.

so...just wanted to update on this before i list it tomorrow in the classifieds....if i can figure out how they work on here. lol!

thanks again, sean and everyone on here that helped me out.

I am sorry about you losing your father. He & I are about the same age. I am from Gull Lake (my MI high school) but live in Miami (FL) now. We played Wayland in sports, my Mom moved to Wyoming MI after my Dad died. There are many beautiful rural roads in SW MI. I am glad that you still can get out and enjoy them, some people would say, "never again on a bike!" My wife doesn't like me riding, but I made it clear when we got married, "I am never going to stop riding until I cannot safely control a bike, so don't ever bother asking, or demanding that I stop."

Your riding around SW MI is, in my opinion, some of the best to be enjoyed. No, it isn't the Alps, or a southern CA heavily-hyped road, but you can be in a rural area in 30 min. and spend hours avoiding cities as you find 'the road less-taken.' So, honor your father by continuing to ride and recall the times you shared, whether on two wheels or not.

I think you should store that engine and in the meantime, get a used engine and convert it back to stock. Shaft drive, 115 RWHP, leave the suspension mods if you can w/the stock drivetrain in-place. You can always get the modded engine fixed, but for not a lot of $ or effort, at least you could ride the bike again by returning to a stock configuration. Being between Chicago and Detroit (makes me think of the Halfway House in Kalamazoo on I-94, do you know if it's still there? Halfway on I-94 between "imported from Detroit" and " the city of Broad Shoulders, Hog-Butcher to the World." There are probably dozens of used motors out there within three hrs. of you, or you could buy a whole bike if someone was just looking to get some $ out of their ride and needed cash. As the Band said, "take what you need and leave the rest," which you could always part-out.

In my opinion, the best move is to find a replacement engine, drop it in and get back on the road. Quick, relatively inexpensive, and you can always get the hot rod looked-at by Sean for an honest opinion.

Holy crap...zombie thread!

Read through your story, guess time does heal all wounds. 4 years ago you would never sell it, and now it's time to move on. The small "one man band" indie shops all seem to be either extremely good, or extremely bad. Love or hate 'em. But yours isn't the first "big project" that realistically just put the shop in over their head. It took forever since they were figuring it out as they went, they got it together, and it went bad in a few hundred miles. Not surprising they just want to be rid of it. They guy knew he screwed something up in there, but had no idea what, and didn't want to tear back into it again to find out. So, out with it.

The classifieds section works just like posting a thread. Hit "vmax for sale", post new, and fill in the info.

This is a pretty tough time to sell a bike especially in the northern states. Plus, bike values have really taken a hit from the economy....you're extremely lucky if you get the book (stock) value with a hopped up cherry of a bike. My advice would be to sit on it until the spring, soon as you get a few warm sunny days stick it on you local craigslist and see where it goes.

Hey JIG......Didn't know we had another GR Maxer on here!...........Would be nice to meet and ride with ya sometime, even if you're not on a max, there are a few of us on here who get together regularly during riding weather, take care!.........................Tom.

Oops, looks like my post was 'after the fact... .'

I am glad you got it squared-away w/forum members assisting.

Back