Neutral between 2nd and 3rd

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmtruc

Reaction score
If i'm cruising along easy and shifting through the gears and don't pull up on the the 2 to 3rd shift hard enough, the trans will act like it's in neutral. I slow down a bit and pull up on the gear selector.
Is this normal and is it me not pulling up on the gear hard enough that is causing it?

It doesn't do this when I pull up on the gear selector harder.

I know , I know, don't do it right, lol, but I just didn't think it could find that small spot where a neutral exists between two gears.

thanks,
allen

Sounds like you may have a small notch in you shift drum between 2nd and 3rd gear. When you shift lightly, the shift fork hangs up in that notch. Not uncommon on a bike with higher mileage - what's the mileage on the bike?

No easy fix for it though - but as long as second gear is not jumping than I would not worry about it too much

If i'm cruising along easy and shifting through the gears and don't pull up on the the 2 to 3rd shift hard enough, the trans will act like it's in neutral. I slow down a bit and pull up on the gear selector.
Is this normal and is it me not pulling up on the gear hard enough that is causing it?

I know , I know, don't do it right, lol, but I just didn't think it could find that small spot where a neutral exists between two gears.

thanks,
allen

That has happened to me maybe twice since I got my bike. Its a 98 and had 5K when I got it and has 15k on it now. Not a big deal, but I don't like the unexpected feeling I get when it does happen.
I wouldn't know how to make it happen if I wanted to and it doesn't seen to damage anything, like you, I just shift up again and and fine.

Steve

What year vmax? My bet is that it is an older one with the old style gear slecter segment in it.

first start of the day after warn up...clicking into 1st goes in with a loud clunk...im thinking its normal..still using reg oil...normal ?.......if so when i switch to syn will that help.......dont bother me was wondering if its part of the beast

113s&s - that is normal - will get better as mileage goes up - syn oil will help - but need to get miles on the motor/trans before you start using it. I started using syn oil after 8000 miles - opinions will very on when to start using syn oil.

I use Amsoil 10W40 fully synthetic oil. My 96 max engine was taken apart at 80000 mile to do the 2nd gear fix and the inside of the engine was super clean. Bike was sold at 110,000 miles and compression was still strong. Main reason I'm a believer in syn oil. But regular oil changes, etc... are also a big factor in engine wear.

The clutch will slip with synthetic.Might work fine if its always putted around.

I run Castrol GTX 20-50.Cheap oil at walmart.Just change it often.

thanks,
allen

Try a search under gear selector segment.This has been covered well and even has the new part numbers.Anyone with a old style should update this before they get stranded in first somewhere.Its right behind the clutch basket and not that hard to do. Real easy with and impact gun for the big clutch basket nut.

Amsoil,,some of the best out there...you go 5000 miles with amsoil before change

The clutch will slip with synthetic.Might work fine if its always putted around.

I run Castrol GTX 20-50.Cheap oil at walmart.Just change it often.
depends on what synthetic you use. I use Mobil 1 15-50 full Syn and I noticed an improvement when moving from Castrol GTX Petrol oil.

Today i took a ride and the same thing happened to me but between the 4th and 5th gear.

I was punching the max into the redline in the 4th gear, shifted up....and nothing happend...my first thought was that my clutch desintegrated under the heavy load :biglaugh:.

I stopped the bike with the pressed clutch shifted down normally and continued my ride.

Now, should i do somethig or just drive till the engine says adios...

ON ALL OF MY BIKES , STREET , DIRT & ALSO MY MAX , I HAD TO LOWER MY SHIFT LEVER , TO ME THEY ARE ALWAYS TO HIGH FROM THE FACTORY , IMO, WITH YOU SITTING ON THE BIKE , YOUR LEFT FOOT SHOULD BE TOUCHING THE UNDERSIDE OF THE SHIFTER , & REMEMBER THE FURTHER UP YOUR FOOT HAS TO TRAVEL , IT RUNS OUT OF STRENGTH , QUICKLY ! ATLEAST MINE DOES !:confused2:

ON ALL OF MY BIKES , STREET , DIRT & ALSO MY MAX , I HAD TO LOWER MY SHIFT LEVER , TO ME THEY ARE ALWAYS TO HIGH FROM THE FACTORY , IMO, WITH YOU SITTING ON THE BIKE , YOUR LEFT FOOT SHOULD BE TOUCHING THE UNDERSIDE OF THE SHIFTER , & REMEMBER THE FURTHER UP YOUR FOOT HAS TO TRAVEL , IT RUNS OUT OF STRENGTH , QUICKLY ! ATLEAST MINE DOES !:confused2:

I had to lower my shifter pedal for the exact same reason...after lazy upshifting a couple times I couldn't take it anymore. For me at least the seating position is too scrunched up and I couldn't easily upshift without really yanking up on it.

Try a search under gear selector segment.This has been covered well and even has the new part numbers.Anyone with a old style should update this before they get stranded in first somewhere.Its right behind the clutch basket and not that hard to do. Real easy with and impact gun for the big clutch basket nut.

My '01 has done this too me a few times lately as well. but only under max accel conditions. Like Coprunner mine seems to be due to lazy lever engagement / slapping the clutch too fast and just missing it. I think I'll heed that advice and turn my shifter down a spline, I have the shift on my forwards up pretty high and out of my way, but it makes things a little difficult when I really want to goose it.

-edit- It just occurred to me that this has only really happened to me since I changed my levers out to chrome. They look nice but they are in fact slicker than pig snot. Maybe one of those little leather covers is in order for my shift lever.

Back