New member in MA

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noreaster

Reaction score
Hi All, just picked up my first v-max, a 1989 barn find with 18K miles that had been sitting since 07. With the help of a good friend we got it all cleaned up, did the carbs (3 times) and synced now she is on the road. I love the bile but the acceleration isn't scaring me like I thought it would making me think something isn't 100%
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance

I see the bike in the avatar and it appears that bike has an OEM exhaust, which is a double-megaphone. If you had a 4-into-4 from Cobra, I'd know exactly why "the acceleration isn't scaring me like I thought it would." The Cobras do not work as-well as a OEM exhaust, as a matter of fact, they cost you probably > 10% RWHP, and also affect throttle response. But, they're 'pretty.'

Often, if you're in 1st or 2nd gear at ~4500rpm, and you whack-full open the throttle, you should get a 'power wheelie' as you head towards redline. Usually you'll have to roll-out of the throttle to avoid looping the bike. I don't know what type of experience as a rider you have, but a stock VMax in the hands of an average rider used to a 1000cc inline-four powerplant should be capable of below-11.5 seconds in the quarter-mile. There are many riders on here who have posted low-11 second or high 10 second quarter miles. These guys usually have experience at the track.

That's the kind of power you should be making, something in the neighborhood of 110 RWHP. Some bikes make a bit more, some a bit less, but that's what you should be seeing for a stock bike. I think the highest RWHP I ever saw in a USA magazine road test for a VMax was 119 RWHP. Adding a complete header and canister exhaust from a known manufacturer of VMax performance exhausts and a Stage 7 Dynojet, or the Morley's Muscle jet kit, should have you probably in the 120 + RWHP club, maybe more. Something below 130 RWHP is probably about what you can expect from those two. Going to a Venture 1300cc engine with those should get you past 130 RWHP; 'no replacement for displacement.' NOS, superchargers, turbochargers, big-bore engines up-to ~1500cc, how much do ya have to spend? For the truly-insane, you can combine the power-adders. Just mail your d/l to the local constabulary to save them trying to catch you.

I suppose if you're used to Hyabusas, ZX14's or R1's the VMax Gen. 1 might be less of a thrill, but for most riders, having a stock bike capable of 120 mph in the quarter-mile is 'more-than most.' I've had VMaxes 29 years and I never get tired of the VBoost in whatever gear.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I appreciate the welcomes. Fire-medic thank you for the detailed post, I'd call myself an intermediate rider at best and I have had a few bikes in my 6 years of riding. My favorite was an 1987 Kaw. ZL100 Eliminator as that was a quick bike but as more gray hairs appear I find myself enjoying the comfort of the Goldwing more and more LOL

Welcome to the forum. We like seeing pics. Do you have some of your Vmax?

Hi All, just picked up my first v-max, a 1989 barn find with 18K miles that had been sitting since 07. With the help of a good friend we got it all cleaned up, did the carbs (3 times) and synced now she is on the road. I love the bile but the acceleration isn't scaring me like I thought it would making me think something isn't 100%
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance
Welcome to the forum! I have the Cobra exhaust on my 2005 Vmax. It is still a thrill when the V-boost kicks in at 6000 rpms! My first Vmax was the 1985, and completely stock. Although there is a twenty year gap and a few modifications between bikes, I have not noticed any reduction in power.

Latest posts

Back