New STEBEL NAUTILUS horn install

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geek_Law

Reaction score
I see that others have done this, but I'll throw my hat in the ring too. I installed a new STEBEL NAUTILUS horn onto the max. I have had one on my Triumph Rocket for a couple of years and it is great.

A couple of weeks ago, I was on the max and had to honk at a bastard who was out to kill me by turning left in front of me while I was going through a green light intersection. I laid on the horn ... and I'm pretty sure he either simply did not hear it, or he was laughing so hard that he couldn't be bothered with allowing me to travel through the green light.

Long story short, I put a Stebel on the max. The hardest part of this is finding where to put it. Since I was going for function and not aesthetics, that was a pretty easy decision. I made up a little "L" bracket and then simply mounted it down by the LH forward foot peg ... as can be seen from the pics.

In case someone has not done one, you will need to get a relay, or you can order a "kit" with a relay with your horn. Anyway, these suckers are bloody loud. I hope that same bastard cuts me off again because he's gonna hear me this time.

I have attached pics of where I installed it.

Attachments

• stebel1.jpg
    stebel1.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 138
  • stebel2.jpg
    stebel2.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 139
  • stebel3.jpg
    stebel3.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 132
Here is an easy relay wiring diagram for those who want to try this. It really is very easy to do, and having a *LOUD* horn can be a wonderful took for those #$%#$% who try to kill you on your commute to work.

Attachments

• relaywire.jpg
    relaywire.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 52
I had Stebels on my vmax and xs1100. They both died after a few rainy rides. I hope you have better luck with yours. I went to a single fiamm (low note). It is not as loud as the stebel but you don't need a relay for a single fiamm. I thought the stebel was wicked loud and in their defense they did ship me a replacement when the first horn died. But then the replacement died, and then the horn on the other bike died so I gave up on them. I am not bashing the Stebel horn. I am just sharing my experience with them. A buddy of mine has them on both of his bikes and never had a problem with them.

Yeah, would avoid low mounts since road spray would be an issue. Mounted mine on offset bracket where manifold "H" cover mounts. It's high enough and leg protects it from direct rain.

I had Stebels on my vmax and xs1100. They both died after a few rainy rides.

This is not the first time I have heard that. That said, I've had mine for a couple of years, trouble free, including some rainy rides. But I won't be shocked if it dies either. I've seen several folks describe the same thing as you. Sucks that you had two of them die.

I got a closeout PIAA 76500 low-note mcy horn, not as-loud as the Stebel but much better than the stocker. I ended up using it on my 1987 FZR 1000 & mounted it using one of the front fender mount bolts, so it's out- front & low so it can be heard. I have not had any problems w/H2O intrusion & I don't really notice any difference in handling or unsprung wt., guess I am just not enough of a hotdog to know my handling is 'greatly suffering' from its location.:biglaugh:

I did get some wierd looks from my friends @ the local shop my friend owns, but @ my age, i get to be eccentric. Here is a link to some sources:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GZJ2GM...e=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B000GZJ2GM

PIAA 85112 is a two horn set if you want to make room for them, or if you want to buy two horns & use one on another vehicle. If you do install two I suggest using the relay & its dedicated separate gang plug for a neater wire job. Interestingly, the price for this two horn set is < some of the vendors' single horn systems, might as-well get the two & have one as a spare. Note you have a choice of tones, the 100 Hz higher set pair is more 'European-sounding.'

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B000GZJ2GM/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=15684181&s=automotive

An added benefit is that the tasteful checkerboard decal pattern is guaranteed to add 5.3 mph to the top end of your bike, even the "red ones!" Of course, if you are already satisfied w/your top end (for some reason an image of Pamela Anderson just popped into my head) and you think the decal is gaudy, you can probably use a heat gun to remove it, just be sure you don't melt the plastic volute (the 'snail body') when you try it.

Bike looks great, GL! Thanks for the nice wiring diagram, it sure will make things easier. I would like to upgrade to a better horn also, and I think it will make a nice winter project. Most horns will yack out if you get them really wet, some have even taken clear silicone and seal up the assembly joints.

I had Stebels on my vmax and xs1100. They both died after a few rainy rides. I hope you have better luck with yours. I went to a single fiamm (low note). It is not as loud as the stebel but you don't need a relay for a single fiamm. I thought the stebel was wicked loud and in their defense they did ship me a replacement when the first horn died. But then the replacement died, and then the horn on the other bike died so I gave up on them. I am not bashing the Stebel horn. I am just sharing my experience with them. A buddy of mine has them on both of his bikes and never had a problem with them.

This is my third vmax with the Stebel horn installed. I have ridden in downpours and never once an issue of them going back. As long as you mount your horn like the original post here there shouldnt be issues. Its when you mount at other angles and the water is able to backflow up into the horn the issues occur.

This is an awesome horn and you wont find one this compact and louder for sure!!!

Just my 2 cents......

I recently put one of these on my Valkarye and it's really loud. If I could find an acceptable mounting spot on the Max I'd mount one up in a New York second.

Lew

I thought about the Stebels, but after coupling this Motorcycle Horn Comparison Review with some other reviews around the internet, I went with the Hellas. Not trying to diss anybody's choices. Matter of fact kudos to you all for upgrading that sorry excuse meep-meep of a horn. In all honesty, whatever keeps the effin cagers in their place, know what I mean? Safe hooliganning around, everyone!

"... Beep beep ..."
(Quoted from an old road-runner cartoon and reflecting the sound of an OEM vmax horn)

squashedoemhorn.jpg

Fitted mine in the gap here along with the Reg/Rec upgrade.... excellent horns.

Cheers

John

Attachments

• MAX SEPT 09 003.jpg
    MAX SEPT 09 003.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 46
Back