New to me 1985 VMAX

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
See how the meter shows a 0.0 when you touch the leads... Run a continuity test on each wire of the sender individually. If you get a 0.0 at the connector lead, and keeping the same color wire at the senders end, will tell you which wire is broken.

I should also be able to touch the screw on the sender ---which is the black wire with the black lead. Then I would touch the red lead to the green wire--correct?

I should also be able to touch the screw on the sender ---which is the black wire with the black lead. Then I would touch the red lead to the green wire--correct?

That is correct..

I can't get anything in terms of resistance---guess I am out. Oh well, I have another one on order that they say works.

Since Yamaha did not build the bike with a coated tank, (They did not anticipate 10% Ethanol in the fuel we now must use, which draws in water from the air, which causes rust in a steel tank), most people don't coat their tanks.
They just deal with the shit that the rust causes.. Messed up carbs, bad gas mileage, fouled up fuel pumps, etc.
For this reason, I cannot trust a used sender, since I've seen what rust can do, in my own tank.

If you cannot get a reading, I can only think of 3 things that would cause that:
1) A broken wire. could be the one of the wires leading to the sender
2) The little thin connection wire that's on the thermister corroded away, which is inside the sender's brass can.
3) A corroded thermistor that no longer conducts current.

Either way, it has to be replaced.

For me, it would be more piece of mind, knowing I have a NEW, CORRECT part in there.
Hopefully you zero out your trip-meter every time you fill up.
That will give you some idea of how much fuel you have left,, unless you're stuck in heavy traffic, which uses way more fuel than cruising.

Take care.. Good luck with that..

Thanks a lot for the info--I am working on returning the part.

I ordered another---I want to get this thing on the road--but I can't put the tank on until I get that part. I looked to see if it was possible to get it all together and then put the part in but it will not go in with the tank in place.

Ok--tank, back wheel, seat, side covers, back fender, etc. are all back on the bike. I put a new battery in as well so should be ready to go. Working on the carbs today--and a couple of questions---first of all, the gasket for the choke part--where do I get those? Second, the small long pin brass screw with a spring on it---does that get a certain number of turns out once tight or does a person just tighten it?

Attachments

• carb pin screw.jpg
    carb pin screw.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 3
  • carb pin screw 2.jpg
    carb pin screw 2.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 3
  • choke.jpg
    choke.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 4
Back