No pressure in intake for carb1

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys, I took apart the carbs on my 2006 vmax, replaced jets and gaskets. Put it all back together and proceeded to sync the carbs. Found that I have no pressure in carb1 (left rear), see picture attached. Also found that the black plastic "cylinder" in the diaphragm assembly behaves different in that same carb - it "trembles" while the other 3 are "steady" - see video here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zuocb3433lubcx1/2020-03-31 17.42.15.mp4?dl=0. Two possibilities come to mind: vacuum leak in carb/intake1 or (hope not) compression problem in the cylinder. Some more info that may be relevant: when I did the carb work I also took apart the intakes and replaced the rubber joints that connect the output of the carbs to the intake, the rubber joints in the cylinder 1/2 and cylinder 3/4 vboost connections , and the o-rings in the connection to the cylinders. How could I go about diagnosing this? Thanks!

Attachments

• 2020-03-31 17.47.51.jpg
    2020-03-31 17.47.51.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 16
Pull the spark plug, do a compression test and then a leak-down test. That will rule-out some compression issue. Were you experiencing any irregular operational behavior before you tore-into the carbs?

Also, to check the liquid gauge, hook it to another cyl & confirm the gauge works as it should.

Last edited:
If it was OK before you worked on the carbs then it won't be anything to do with the cylinders.
You need to go back over what you have done.
I assume that you haven't left the cover off the intake barb and that the slide diaphragm is seated properly or not split?

Thanks for your replies. I know the pressure gauge works right because I used it just a couple of days to sync carbs on another bike. I also hooked it to another cylinder to eliminate the possibility of a bad gauge. I agree it's probably not a compression problem in the cylinder, because I know I sync'd the carbs at least once before doing the carb work and everything was fine.
Fire-medic, could you educate me on what is a leak-down test? MaxMidnight, what's the intake barb?
I suspect I'll have to go back into the carb in question and see if I did something wrong, but was wondering if there was a way of narrowing down the problem before doing that - like, could it be a vacuum leak downstream of the carb? Is it possible to determine that?

The intake barb is where you hook-up the balance hose.

A leak-down test is done, both pairs of valves closed, and you charge the cyl head with pressure, and measure the pressure after a bit of time, giving you an idea of how-well the cyl is sealing. Air escaping from the carbs is obviously an intake side leak, air escaping from the exhaust is a exhaust valves leak. Air escaping from the oil filler is a piston rings leak.

The time-honored method for checking for an intake leak is to use something like starting fluid, and spraying it around the suspected area of the leak, engine-running. If the revs suddenly increase, you've discovered the source of a leak.

Last edited:
Could there be something stuck in the hole where you connect the carb balancer? Probably not the issue but worth a check?

Place your hand on top of the intake of that carb to see if there is a vacuum. If the guague goes to the top, likely the issue is not the cylinder or the manifold. If it doesn't you do need to look in that area.

Back