Original "Taking it to the Nines" article in Cycle World

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruiser1198

Reaction score
Question for anyone who can help? In the original article "Taking it to the Nines" was The V-Max made chain drive or was it just the Eliminator ? Cannot find my article . Thanks

I just posted that recently: CycleWorldMarch1987.pdf (v4musclebike.com)

No chain-drive VMax, Kosman wire wheels for racing tires, and a wheelie bar. The Eliminator was fitted with a turbo & it spun a bearing.

Here's a thread you may enjoy: (73) Looking for List of Highest HP Bikes by Year | Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum (vmaxforum.net)

I like this issue, because it also has a feature on my new bike for 1987 Yamaha FZR1000, I bought a year-old from a friend, and still have.

Last edited:
I just posted that recently: CycleWorldMarch1987.pdf (v4musclebike.com)

No chain-drive VMax, Kosman wire wheels for racing tires, and a wheelie bar. The Eliminator was fitted with a turbo & it spun a bearing.

Here's a thread you may enjoy: (73) Looking for List of Highest HP Bikes by Year | Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum (vmaxforum.net)

I like this issue, because it also has a feature on my new bike for 1987 Yamaha FZR1000, I bought a year-old from a friend, and still have.
Thank you for posting , I could not remember if only the Kawasaki was chain drive or the V-Max also !

The nines bike is in my garage and waiting restoration. I have started finally gathering up as many NOS parts as I can. It is shaft drive for sure.

Attachments

• PXL_20210416_210155344.jpg
    PXL_20210416_210155344.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 76
CaptainKyle had a pair of wide wire wheels for a similar set-up, he bought from a guy by me in So. FL.

Fantastic! I actually lowered my front end and hard tailed my '86 all based on that article. I wanted it to look like that one soooo badly. Just couldn't afford the rims back then though. Still got the bike and haven't put rear shocks on it since '88 when i got it lol. seriously considering some now though. Getting too old to have my kidneys bouncing around like that. lol

Sean, that bike is worth restoring to an old sentimental guy like myself. That is a piece V-Max history that a lot of us old timers remember fondly.

Me too! Me too! Glad that piece of history is preserved. Does anyone remember a magazine article on drag racing a kawasaki kx 500 and a vmax? Maybe around 90 or 91? I was racing mx and enduros on a kx 500 then. When i saw the article i told myself when i got older i would have a max. And i do!

I had or have the magazine where someone or Yamaha had taken an 85 and chromed everything tank cover, fenders and everything. It was BAD LOOKIN!! Think I still have it somewhere but just haven't been able to find it in years. Too much moving.

I had or have the magazine where someone or Yamaha had taken an 85 and chromed everything tank cover, fenders and everything. It was BAD LOOKIN!! Think I still have it somewhere but just haven't been able to find it in years. Too much moving.
That was Cycle Guide, their 'Bike of the Year' got the chrome-treatment.

Glad someone remembered, wish I could find that😃
I subscribed to Cycle, Cycle Guide, Motorcyclist, and Cycle World. One-by-one, they stopped publication. You used to be at the supermarket, and have probably 8 different bike mags to choose-from, about dirt bikes, choppers, tourers, and general-interest bike mags. Now I buy Motorcycle Classics, and once in awhile, Cafe' Racer with Mike Seate as editor. They (CR) published me awhile ago, about a tool I made to extract a stuck master cyl piston from a SOHC Honda (or the DOHC 1960's CB/CL 450).

If I recall correctly, all they did to the Vmax was a header, wheelie bar and slick. Did they put a quick shifter on it? I think they put a big bore kit and lots of other motor work on the Gixxer.

If I recall correctly, all they did to the Vmax was a header, wheelie bar and slick. Did they put a quick shifter on it? I think they put a big bore kit and lots of other motor work on the Gixxer.
The GSXR1100 was $$$ engine mods, the VMax was stock engine internals, the prototype Kerker 4/1 and Dynojet stage 7 kit (pair), and it beat both the turbo Eliminator and the GSXR1100.

Back