Out of hibernation

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdschmidty

Reaction score
After a 7 year slumber, I have pulled my 85 VMax out of storage. Now the work begins....I will keep you all posted (and probably have a million questions).

My '85 went through a prolonged layup which ended about 10 years ago. Getting it started was the easy part, it fired right up. Doing all the stuff I needed to do before the layup was expensive. Tires, fork seals, battery..A couple doses of Seafoam got the carbs working OK, and I changed out the brake lines for stainless steel - just in case.. The bike was properly drained and set up for storage when I put it away, and there were no nasty surprises when it woke it up.

Jamie and I can come get you sorted (he's got all the parts,and I have beer money).

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk

davesax36, Thanks for the offer! I may take you up on that.

First thing I going to do is take the carbs to Powersports in Woodbridge and have them soak them in their tank. Then I'm going to rebuild them. Which will lead me to my first question, might as well ask now. Previous owner put SuperTrapps on, how do I know if he messed with the carbs to match the exhaust or if my jets are stock? (going to post this question in the carb forum)

I don't trust Coleman Powersports with anything. The guy at the parts counter in woodbridge does seem to have ridden a lot, but if you're going to take you carbs off and spend a week without them, you'd be better off sending them to Danny. They'll come back cleaned, actually working, and synced on his test engine. I don't know if you've had a different experience with coleman, but I just haven't heard anything good about them from anyone on multiple forums.

I don't trust Coleman Powersports with anything. The guy at the parts counter in woodbridge does seem to have ridden a lot, but if you're going to take you carbs off and spend a week without them, you'd be better off sending them to Danny. They'll come back cleaned, actually working, and synced on his test engine. I don't know if you've had a different experience with coleman, but I just haven't heard anything good about them from anyone on multiple forums.

+1 on Danny, I plan to have him do the carbs for my Vmax/Vneture project. The first thing I had to do when I got my Vmax is undo what a local powersports shop did to the carbs. Funny think is my local powersports joint has a solid reputation but they sure missed the mark on this bike. I cant believe they allowed it to leave the shop like it was.

Back