pics from great depression - in color!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NICE!!!!!:punk:

Potatoes are still a big part of the economy northern Maine......I love it there:eusa_dance:

Great link! Amazing how almost no one is overweight! You would be hard pressed to take a single public picture now, without most people in it packing on extra pounds.

Great link! Amazing how almost no one is overweight! You would be hard pressed to take a single public picture now, without most people in it packing on extra pounds.

Yup, that's what happens when there are too many white collar jobs.

I was surprised to see so many of the women with fingernail polish on.

Also Welding hasn't changed much other than the welding helmet that dude could be working right next to me.

Fingernail polish was used to hide dirty fingernails. Women were still vain even in the worst of times. You were lucky to get a bath once a week. I remember living in my grandmothers house in the late 40's, early 50's in Alabama with no indoor plumbing. We filled a large wash tub with well water (VERY cold), heated one bucket of water on the wood stove, poured it in the tub to warm it up (which didn't really help much) and then bathe. Several people would use the same water so the first bathers (usually the kids) got the cleanest. If you noticed in the pics, everyone was very dirty. Funny thing is, I don't remember everyone being "stinky". Guess if everyone stinks, you don't really think about it. Women did have perfume to help but men had nothing. No deodorant, aftershave, etc.

Other items in the "good old days" were chamber pots. The outhouse was not convenient to use at night because of the weather and/or darkness. So each bedroom had a pot to go to the bathroom in. Emptied every morning after you got up. Ever heard the saying "So poor didn't have a pot to piss in"?

The only heat we had was a wood stove in the kitchen and one in the living room. It got very cold in the winter in the bedrooms. Of course, no A/C either.

Anyone who misses the "good old days" never lived them!!!

The only thing I miss is my grandmothers cooking.

Thank you so much for the pics. I always wondered what colors were used back then. I have lots of black&white pics from my parents, but always wanted to see the true color of life from that period. Lots of brown, army green, and navy blue. Many of the kids wore no shoes. I remember playing with lots of kids with no shoes "1964 school years" I can also remember going over to somes friends place down the block...9 kids, bunk beds and the smell of urine..yick! At grammas, we bathed in a galvanized basin,..yep, cold. And yes, there was a pot under the beds...they were white with a red stripe around the top. Kids nowadays should study these photos, and see what little they had. A home made fishing pole, a wooden hand made airplane, a stick for a gun. I remember the "out house" as well..I was terified of it ! It had a lot of flys buzing around, it smelled horrible, and I always thought I'd fall in !!
Being born in 1959, ..there was still remnants of that era left as I was growing up, I am amazed at how much the world has changed since then. I had so many friends back then. Within a 2 block radius,..there was at least 150 kids...I'm not kidding! The family across the street had 13 kids alone. We had 4 classes of grade 1ns when I started school....lots and lots of baby boomers.

"Emptied every morning after you got up. Ever heard the saying "So poor didn't have a pot to piss in"?"
Many didn't throw away the urine; rather they sold it to the tannery. If you had to do this you were "piss poor".

Back