Please give me your opinion on driving light location

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryanneal

Reaction score
I want to add driving lights, but don't want to alter the style, etc.
I am considering 2 options:
See yellow marks on pic.

image.jpg

A) a single horizontal LED strip ( Or a rectangular fog type) under the main headlight, somehow attached to the headlight bracket.

B) adding two bullet type black housing PIAA 1100 LEDs in the cage created by my highway pegs. I like this location, because the lights will disappear on the bike, however I am worried it might be too low of a mounting.

Piaa link http://www.piaalights.com/details.php?productName=POWERSPORTS 1100 SERIES LED LAMP KIT

Any input you bad ass max dudes ???

Thanks

Has anyone done that to your knowledge? Link?

I added a relay to my left scoop for gps and iphone, so I may need to reposition.

Thx!!

I have two of the types you mention. Look in my album for pics.

I have two of the types you mention. Look in my album for pics.

Cool.

Have you noticed any issues with them being a low mount? In other words, have you found that you needed to point them parallel to the ground, or slightly upwardly, in order to get good road coverage?? And if so, do they then blind oncoming cars?

I have heard the low mount will illuminate that part of the road that the headlight misses....where the little animals and things are that you see just before they disappear under the front tire.

i have my bullets located in the same spot. i enjoyed them there before i upped the headlight with a xenon. now the halogen bullets are useless unless they get upped as well.

Regards from my Taptalking Hercules Android

Recess / french them in the scoops.
Ryan - I know by now that you are an innovator, Rollie's suggestion is totally plausible - in fact, I have considered putting my driving lights in the scoops, but right now the scoop extensions are occupied by electric horns.
If smaller bullet-type lights were to be used, or flat LED'S, extensions would probably not have to be fabricated. You might only have to remove some of the internal ribbing of the scoops, as I did.
As for the driving lights themselves, do you want them for increased road illumination, or to make your bike more visible to other drivers? Or both reasons?
If you mount them down low - in the crash bars, or directly to the lower forks - they would certainly light up the "critter" section of the road well. But they would be subject to all kinds of road rash, and would not be visible to cars in front of you, when at stop lights or following close.
In my opinion, the best compromise is to mount driving lights fairly high, just below the level of the headlight, and with a fair amount of separation.
The majority of aftermarket light bars mount in this configuration. I have read that the "triangle" of lights, created by the headlight and the two drivers is the most conspicuous arrangement for oncoming traffic, as far as making yourself be seen.
As for my own drivers, I use two sets. When touring, I have a light bar arrangement that bolts to the bottom of the fairing, and uses 37 1/2 volt halogen sealed beams. During daytime use, folks tell me they are so bright and visible that I usually shut off the headlight.
When I have my smaller fairing mounted, I use el cheapo Blazer(tm) bullet lights. Unlike most of this variety of lights, these came equipped with MR 16 halogen bulbs, instead of the usual 55 watt plug-in type.
MR 16 bulbs are used in those ridiculously-priced BMW drivers(can't think of the brand name) The advantage of the MR 16 bulbs is that they are available at any hardware store, because they are also used for low voltage cabinet lighting, and in a large selection of wattages (20-55) and beam patterns(spot, narrow, flood)
At present, I'm using 35 watt flood MR 16s. They light up the road very well, and are aimed primarily to illuminate the road edge.
As for the headlight, I use a 7" Hella with a standard 55/60 bulb. I thought this would be an improvement over the stocker, but low-beam performance sucks. So I'm going to replace the bulb with one of those high end ($$$$) models. I had thought about HID, but there's been too many stories of failures lately. And it's very easy to carry a spare conventional bulb - not so a special HID bulb, ballast, wiring, etc.
Let us see what you come up with. Cheers!

Attachments

• P1010524.jpg
    P1010524.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 62
  • P1010680.jpg
    P1010680.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 65
  • P1010679.jpg
    P1010679.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 69
Cool.

Have you noticed any issues with them being a low mount? In other words, have you found that you needed to point them parallel to the ground, or slightly upwardly, in order to get good road coverage?? And if so, do they then blind oncoming cars?

The low ones are for the part of the road the headlight misses. I aimed them in a dark alley while sitting on the bike and the other lights off/covered to get the actual pattern. If not properly aimed can blind oncoming drivers or illuminate only the street directly in front. The left one is a little lower than the right so as not to blind oncoming traffic. The right is a little higher and illuminates the side of the road much better. Had a friend help obviously. :biglaugh:

The light under the stock headlight really helps the stock light cover the road. The only problem, with all the lights on, the stator cannot keep up even at highway speeds and the battery is discharged. And it is an Odyssey! :bang head:

Confirmed all comments. Thx guys.
Scoop location is bad ass, tuff, even with Miles's vote of confidence.

Hmmmmm.... Thinking..

Thx dudes

Back