Popping out of 1st Under Hard Accel....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 773

Reaction score
Gotten comfortable on the Max and started rolling a little more aggessively on the throttle...

Transmission is in need of work, obviuosly, as it pops out of first when I really get on it....

What am I looking at (repair wise) and could/should I do it myself?

1st gear is a bad omen. Usually it's in the higher gears. 1st can be repaired but one of the gears is also the main shaft which can be expensive if it is too bad to fix. Undercutting runs $500 but also a great time to get an overdrive installed ($300).

Sean Morley

1st gear is a bad omen. Usually it's in the higher gears. 1st can be repaired but one of the gears is also the main shaft which can be expensive if it is too bad to fix. Undercutting runs $500 but also a great time to get an overdrive installed ($300).

Sean Morley

...and probably beyond the scope of the "average" mechanic?

Sean Morley

Is it also possible that the gear opposite the fixed first gear isn't engaging? Could be worn dogs and/or shift forks?

Is it also possible that the gear opposite the fixed first gear isn't engaging? Could be worn dogs and/or shift forks?

It only pops under hard accel and applying a toe to the shifter keeps it in past the power band allowing me to then move the toe under to hit second?

Helpful to the diagnosis?

It only pops under hard accel and applying a toe to the shifter keeps it in past the power band allowing me to then move the toe under to hit second?

Helpful to the diagnosis?

Sounds like a solution to me! Just keep that toe locked in.

Mike

Dogs are getting bad. A regular guy can at least get the engine out and the cases split (heads and cams do not need to be removed). But it takes a good machine shop to undercut the trans. A regular guy can simply buy new gears too and eliminate the machine shop. This is what Yamaha does.

Sean

So if I stay off the throttle until I get 'er in to 2nd, will I be doing damage? Should I park it until I can fix it????

Just got the damn thing on the road for this season,. too.....

SIGH

So if I stay off the throttle until I get 'er in to 2nd, will I be doing damage? Should I park it until I can fix it????

Just got the damn thing on the road for this season,. too.....

SIGH

Hey, it has to come apart anyway. Might as well boogie it until it pukes. Just don't use first as much for hard acceleration. I typically start cranking in second anyway.

Mike

Back