popping sound from airbox

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steven61467

Reaction score
At almost no throttle,and i mean just barely twisting it,i get popping sounds from my air box,i know its comming from the carbs,but what could be the cause of this,the bike just had new stainless factory jets put in it by a Yamaha dealership(which in my experience) means nothing,any ideas on a cause?

At almost no throttle,and i mean just barely twisting it,i get popping sounds from my air box,i know its comming from the carbs,but what could be the cause of this,the bike just had new stainless factory jets put in it by a Yamaha dealership(which in my experience) means nothing,any ideas on a cause?

Its inherant of these max's. Just lick the "HIC-UP" is inherant to harley bikes. Nature of the beast. Can it be tweeked out...."mostly"
I had the vmax "popcorn machine" thing happening too. After cleaning , float setting and synronizing ,its 97% better. But just when you think youve heard the last of it..POP LOL. The more learned guys here will help you with some much more technical advise.
Didnt know these bikes came with S/S jets.

Is it poping when its just cold, or all the time?

all the time,and only when i just barely ease into the throttle to take off,and i mean "bare ease" like if im in 1st gear just trying to keep some forward momentum

what did they chg the jets too?? what size i mean. do you know how many turns the a/f screws are now???

actually i just changed my plugs out today,and all 4 are clearly running to rich,the right rear more so,its very dark(plus u can smell the exhaust is rich) and far as what jets,all i am told from the dealer is factory replacements made of stainless,its getting very annoying to be honest,everytime i take my bike to any "certified yamaha mechanic" its always the same thing,most are utter morons,and dont have a clue how to work on this bike,so now that im living in the st louis area now,ive gotta find someone i cant trust who knows what they are doing to fix the issue,AGAIN!

richening the pilots will help and a good synch will also...i have also noticed that setting the idle at 1000 rpms will help too . idle speeds at 1100 and 1200 seem to make my bike more prone to the carb pops.

havnt had any poping since i set my idle at 1000rpm and richend up my pilot screws about 1/2 turn extra from stock :punk: when i hear it pop i know its time to synch. lol

Latest posts

Back