Possible new fork alternative for 1st Gen bikes

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biker Dash

Reaction score
Just read a Cycle World article on Honda's 2014 VFR-800 Interceptor, and going through the specs, I saw something that caught my eye.

It has a 43mm non-inverted fork. It says there are no adjustments available for the fork, but then I looked at this image, and I see what looks like (at the bare minimum) one adjustment nob per side. (My first guess would be preload, but it could be either compression or rebound, for all I know.)

10482290_10203477850842278_719663339838219277_n.jpg

(full size image can be seen here: Cockpit view of new Interceptor)
Now, I cannot help but wonder if this fork would work for the 1st Gen Vmax? It may take lengthening of the forks to work with the Max, depending on what the overall dimensions are, but this does have me intrigued.

Thoughts everyone?
[EDIT:] Okay, I just checked again, and the Deluxe model DOES have preload and rebound adjustments.

Last edited:
The issue is usually the bearing fit in the existing steering head and the stem not the correct length. One can usually find alternate bearing sizes to fit the stem and the bearing race diameter.
I doubt the top triple tree and clip on like bars will allow for full steering so airbox lid might take a beating. Not to say a riser of some sort won't fix that though.
I'd love a modern USD alternative though. Will it be cheap? It will allow a 17 inch wheel/fender and decent brake at least. Interesting find.

43mm fork on the Vmax
43mm fork on the VFR

Why not just use the VFR forks in the Max clamps? Which is the reason I was (and still am) about the fact that the fork tube size is the same. Maybe with the correct bearings, and possibly spacers, and with a pair of 310mm disks, it would all fit together nicely

Ask about fork length on the vfr forum... That's gonna be your cost hang-up. Anything can be done, though.

I am gonna say that the VFR forks are gonna be ~2" shorter than your Vmax's w/the VMax's relaxed geometry vs. the steep geometry of the VFR. You probably have an electronic speedo on the VFR. The axle, I would bet your left and right nuts, is 'way-larger in diameter than our designed-in-1982 bike's. It most-likely is not as-simple as "switching bearings!"

Even w/the downtubes fitting our triple trees, you can probably come very-close to matching this VFR fork in use by fitting a set of Gold Valve Fork Emulators, or RICOR Intiminadors, a set of Race-Tech or Progressive Suspension fork springs, and definitely a set of radial tires. No-need to mess w/the Honda parts from the VFR, no mismatching front wheel, if you choose to use the VFR front wheel to solve the bearing issue. And when you go from a high-profile VMax 18" tire to a low-profile VFR 17" front, even-more problems in geometry and lowering of the front end. There-goes your cornering ground clearance.

It just isn't worth-it, and there are many ways to get to about the same place w/what is already available. Of course, this is only my opinion, and if you really have your heart-set on doing this, write it up as you forge-ahead, we all like tales of overcoming obstacles (w/pics!).

Back