Possible vmax purchase

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all! Been on the forum perusing things for a while but only posted one other time. I got a lot of good info on that post and I appreciate it a ton! The last time I posted, I was looking at purchasing a 1988 vmax and wasn't sure it was worth it. I got a resounding no on that one. I didn't end up buying it either so the forum helped out a lot!

Ok so fast forward a few years. Same bike, same owner, now he wants to do some trading for this bike. So now I'm asking the vmax forum this, how much is it worth? Deets on the machine are as such. It's an 88 vmax. Has 68,000 miles on it. Does not run. Needs fork seals, carbs gone through, tires, blah, blah. Overall it's in what I would classify as "poor" shape. Does have a clean and clear title though. I'm a certified Auto mechanic/tech at a gm dealer, and I have worked on this guys junk several times in the past, so I will probably be trading primarily labor for it. What do you guys think is fair for a bike such as this?

$500, only if it has papers and the engine readily turns-over, without a 'box of rocks' sound. It needs everything. Having a Yamaha dealership do the carbs will probably cost you $500 in labor. That's what you tell him, and parts are extra.

OK, what's shop rate around there, about $120/hr for mechanical repairs at car dealerships? What does the mechanic make, of that, $50-60/hr? That would be 10 hours @ $50/hr. Go 'by the book' for whatever labor he wants.

Here's one in Seattle advertised in Oregon, 41 K mi. new rear tire, fork seals, asking $3500. a 2002. I don't think he'll get that-much.
https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/mcy/d/everett-2002-yamaha-vmax/7098130973.html

Last edited:
I'd agree. $500 max for something you can't verify it's running condition. I have a nice 99 that would be cheaper (at $3k) in the long run and a running bike you would have near you would also likely be a better deal unless you just get lucky with the repairs.

That's where I was at as well. The bike does need a lot of work to get it back in rideable shape. I called around to find out some labor cost to fix the bike(knowing I would be doing the work) and out of ten shops I called, only one would even work on it. And he was saying at least a grand to make it run and ride. So I was figuring that into my thoughts as well. I like projects like this bike. It needs work, which means I can repair it and learn more about the bike that way. Plus I like the ressurectio. From the dead sort of thing lol. I'll talk to the guy and see what he wants me to do labor wise, if it's too much, I won't do it. I know he has a v65 he wants to get running, well, 5 actually. But he wants one nice one he can ride.

Hi! I also want to buy vmax but its whitout vboost, because im from europe. This vmax which i want to buy is 98 hp i guess, i want to know how fast this bike can go? seller told top speed for this bike is 185km/h(its 115 miles/h i think) at 6k rpm. is that ok for this bike than at top speed 185km/h rpm is 6k, and rpm does not increase?

The website was very-slow yesterday and not-accepting new posts, I had a long one addressing this, and I finally close-out without being able to post.

What I said was, call several Yamaha dealers by you and ask them what it would cost you to do what you want, i.e., have an operable bike to-ride, safely. My contention was, 'good-luck finding anyone even-willing to accept the job!' Why? Because it needs all parts of the bike to be addressed, if it's going to-be operable, and safe. My estimate was $2000+ in parts and labor, at which-point you've exceeded the value of the motorcycle. In today's market, probably by a factor of three!

Dealerships don't want to take on a job like this, only to-have the sticker-shocked owner abandon the bike once it's done. Even if they take title on a mechanic's lien that's another several hundred dollar expense to add-to the bill. Then they cannot sell it for what they have into-it, even with their wholesale pricing on parts and labor. That's why they don't want to take the job!

Sure, you might be-able to get the bike running, just-by cleaning the carbs, and using a jump-start, or a donor battery from another bike. That's what I would do, if it was something I bought for my 'willingness-to-pay' price. Just the bare-minimum needed to see that the engine runs, it doesn't have a bum starter, 2nd gear is OK, it doesn't overheat, the shift segment doesn't need replacement, and the valves don't need to be adjusted just to get it to start and to run. Hot-soak starts are accomplished. Now, to try a spin down the road, you need the tires to at-least hold air, hopefully they aren't showing cords! I've seen plenty of bikes riding-around with cords-showing, it's easy to-spot, especially if the bike you're watching is stopped and starts slowly, in traffic.

Now, you at-least need the front brakes to be working, for a test-ride. That may require a disassembly and cleaning of the front brake master cylinder, a flushing of the brake lines, possibly a disassembly and cleaning of the calipers, and re-assembly/ bleed of the system. That's pretty-much just time, if a thorough clean will get things back operational. I've found that probably half the time, a rebuild master cylinder kit doesn't work, now you've spent, what, $35? If the bike's been sitting for say, 3+ years, it's possible that the fluid has crystallized, maybe you can disassemble the master cylinder, clean it, and return it to service, without needing to rebuild it. That's something to try, before throwing-in a rebuild kit. If the master cyl. is truly-bad, and the piston is frozen into the bore, I'd bite the bullet and buy a new OEM master cylinder. They aren't cheap, but what's riding on them, expecting them to work faultlessly, every-time? Yes the complete master cylinders on ebay are tempting and cheap, I'll stick with OEM, thanks. ronayres.net for OEM front brake master cylinders is $134, complete, not including lever. Buy 12 washers for the hydraulic hoses, $2 each, prevent leaks on reassembly. Two at the master cyl banjo bolt. Five at the splitter, two each at the two calipers, and three spares for when others run and hide from your butterfingers. Throw some WD-40 or CRC 5-56 on the handlebar levers' pivot points, the brake foot pedal, and check the throttle for snapping-closed, smartly to closed-position. Same-for the choke enricheners, they need to close fully, you can 'eyeball' them, and if operating the choke lever doesn't close them fully, use a wand and shoot some lubricant on them, and work the choke lever up & down and watch to see that they all free-up, so now they both fully-open for starting, and fully-close for riding.

OK, let's say you got at least the front brakes done. Let's say the tires hold-air, and cords aren't showing. Let's say, you have the engine running, it doesn't overheat, and no issues to its starting, idling, and revving, stationary. Now you can try a spin around the block to check for shifting (fingers-crossed on NO 2nd gear issues). On the basis of this work, you should be able to determine what needs to be done, to be able to make a budget of expenses, and to proceed with returning a bike to the road, on-budget.

Hi! I also want to buy vmax but its whitout vboost, because im from europe. This vmax which i want to buy is 98 hp i guess, i want to know how fast this bike can go? seller told top speed for this bike is 185km/h(its 115 miles/h i think) at 6k rpm. is that ok for this bike than at top speed 185km/h rpm is 6k, and rpm does not increase?

Member dannymax may be able to tell you what changes are done to limit the rev's. I think it may have something to do with the CV carbs' slides being limited in movement. I think they are taller, so if you cut-off the extra height, they can travel further, consume more fuel, and rev higher.

Sean Morley [email protected] can probably supply you with the VBoost manifold, the stepper motor for the VBoost to operate, and if it needs-it the correct wire harness for a VBoost equipped engine, or what additional wiring is needed to make it work. He ships overseas to Europe. Used USA wire harnesses aren't usually expensive. Sometimes a manufacturer will have one harness for multiple (countries) sales markets, and some wires are not used, but it's cheaper to produce just one harness for all countries, and only-use the branch circuits you need. Truthfully, I don't know if that is the case with Yamaha.

The USA market bike was rated at 145 crankshaft horsepower, which usually on a dyno, works out to 110 RWHP, or thereabouts. Some, a bit-more, some, a bit less, but that should get you over 140 mph pretty-quickly, and if you're a glutton for punishment, top end was supposed to be 149 MPH, USA. The highest reading I ever-saw in a magazine test on a dyno was 119 rear wheel horsepower (RWHP), and about 10% less than that, for the lowest. That's a considerable variation, more-than you would expect for a precision machine.

Last edited:
Fast enough to get a ticket.

Ok guys, reviving an old thread, but the deal is done. The max is in my possession!!! So it's actually an 89. Don't think that means much haha. It needs quite a lot of things to be sure, and I'm taking a hell of a chance on it, but I figure worst case I can part it out and recoup my money for the most part on it. Looks to be mostly stock. The only aftermarket thing I can see is a k and n filter, and the corbin seat. What does the group think? I'll send more pics when I get them

Attachments

• KIMG0747.JPG
    KIMG0747.JPG
    240.8 KB · Views: 27
Care to share what he got in-return for your acquisition? If it's your original 'labor provided,' and you're doing it for say, ten hours, that's a good deal! Since your skill-set puts you in a position to split the cases, if you have-to, following the Yamaha shop manual, http://vmoa.net/VMX12-Service-Manual01.pdf
I'd just concentrate on first getting it operational, as it sits w/o putting anything into it, other than what you need to make it run, which would to-me, be a battery, a new fuel filter, getting the gas tank cleaned, and your labor. You don't even need an operational fuel pump, if you're just trying to make the thing run, you can use an auxilary tank, mounted with its bottom about at close-to 6 ft above the ground. Any less height than that and you may-not have enough 'head' to pressurize the carbs adequately.

The bike looks decent, don't buy anything for it until you get the engine running reliably. It has a sissybar/backrest, a Corbin seat, the crash/case guards, and it doesn't appear to-be a rusty, crusty, pile o'junk. Hopefully, your mechanical skills will allow you to get the engine running in short-order. Once it runs reliably, then you can see about things like a toasted 2nd gear, which requires case-splitting. You can just shift-past 2nd gear, if you want-to, to have it capable of road use. If the tires are > 4 y.o., that's a replacement I'd do. Tires are important on these bikes. Grabbing a handful of throttle turning a corner on old, dried-out tires can cause the rear to quickly slide-out, and if you're not-suspecting it, you may drop the bike. Even from a stop, in a straight line, the bike easily can power-wheelie in 1st/2nd gears.

You have the early two-pick-up coil igntion (OEM 1985-'89), the smaller diameter downtubes, and single opposed-piston brakes (OEM 1985-'92). When you decide to replace the downtubes, consider upgrading the triple trees and downtubes/sliders to the 43 mm downtubes and double-opposed piston front brakes, stock on the 1993-2007 Vmaxes. Forking by Frank is one place to source new downtubes, much cheaper than OEM. The 43 mm downtube forks, while only ~15% larger in dia., offer an improvement over the 1985-'92 forks. The brakes' mounts for the later forks, @ 100 mm o.c., are better brakes than the (I think either 82 or 84 mm o.c.) early brakes. The front wheel fits both styles of front ends, same for the brake lines, the splitter for the brakes, the front brake master cyl, etc., making it a relatively easy way to upgrade your brakes and forks. It's all bolt-on.

Post-up what you find in your work, we like stories and pics, lots of pics.

I like Ron Ayres Motorsports Yamaha in N.C., I look at partszilla too, but Ron Ayres is usually a bit-cheaper. Also Sean Morley has OEM parts, and if you buy from him, you get his knowledge and experience to coach you through issues. dannymax for carb rebuilding, and CaptainKyle for almost-anything, including used OEM parts and other work, are also good resources. Welcome to the club.

Last edited:
Worked out with no money changing hands. Did some work on a couple of his cars and a couple of his bikes. I think the deal was quite fair. What you said fire-medic, is exactly what my plan is actually haha. I'm gonna clean the carbs, change the oil, clean the fuel system, and see what the motor sounds like. Then if it all sounds good, take it on a short ride and see how it all shifts, make sure no 2nd gear issue, then go from there. The fact it's completely stock is a positive In my mind. Looks like whoever was riding it maintained it well and didn't hot rod it too much. Fingers crossed lol

And tires are a must for sure, same with the brakes and such. But I agree, need to make the engine run first. Would be a waste of money to put new tires on the bike if the engine is blown

Thank you very much for the info!! You mentioned the brakes and I noticed on this bike the front and rear rotors have a pretty serious lip on them, which makes sense for the miles. So when I get that far the rotors are going to need to be changed. I also noticed that there seems to be a plethora of options for rotors and such, but only for the 93 and up models. After reading what you said, that makes sense. Also, when installing new forks, only the downtubes need replaced?

Thank you very much for the info!! You mentioned the brakes and I noticed on this bike the front and rear rotors have a pretty serious lip on them, which makes sense for the miles. So when I get that far the rotors are going to need to be changed. I also noticed that there seems to be a plethora of options for rotors and such, but only for the 93 and up models. After reading what you said, that makes sense. Also, when installing new forks, only the downtubes need replaced?
No, you replace the entire slider and downtube ass'y, along with the top and bottom triple trees. There are a number of YZF 750/1000 calipers which fit the 1993-2007 VMax fork-spacing of 100 mm o.c., and also the predecessor to the YZF, the FZR 1000, the last two years of which had USD forks and the Sumitomo 'six-pot' brakes (three pairs of opposed pistons).

The OEM '93-'07 complete front forks/triple trees aren't hard to come-by. Just be-sure that your downtubes are perfect (no corrosion whatsoever!) because if they aren't, the Forking by Frank downtube replacements are probably about $400 shipped. You might think, "why don't I just fix the 43 mm downtubes I just bought, of their corrosion?" Yes you can if you had a Brough Superior or some venerable racebike with history (BTW, Broughs used girder front ends, not telescopic, which didn't come into use until after WW II) but the cost to do that will have you considering the OEM replacements ($263 each, you need two, of course) 2006 Yamaha V-MAX 1200 (VMX12V) Front Fork | Ron Ayers a bargain! Incidentally, I often mention Ron Ayres Yamaha in N.C. as a worthy supplier of OEM parts, because when I check-around they usually beat other suppliers I may investigate. However, at today's pricing partzilla came in $13 per downtube cheaper, but you need to look at shipping costs to get a bottom line price, delivered. Yamaha Motorcycle 2006 OEM Parts Diagram for FRONT FORK | Partzilla.com It does pay to check prices among competing suppliers.

Our '93-'07 front discs are 298 mm dia, you I believe can fit 320 mm discs, which is what the FZR and YZF 1000 used for their two-opposed pairs of pistons calipers or the Sumitomo three pairs opposed pistons from the '93-'94 FZR 1000. Maybe Sean will weigh-in on that (using 320 mm instead of 298 mm)? He also offers a six-piston Suzuki conversion, complete w/mounting brackets, to fit the late-model 1993-'07 VMAx 43 mm forks.

Last edited:
Back