Power loss

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poolio

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was out letting the vmax breathe 10k rpms, brought it up to some good short bursts of speed. Bike ran great. Pulled in to get gas and when I drove off felt like it wasn't revving as quick. Still running good just lost some performance. Any suggestions? Spark plugs are new, air and fuel filter are new also. Could a stuck float cause this?

Try changing them to be sure since they are cheap. BUT, i'd suggest looking at the oil (with an oil change). The symptoms are common for a spun bearing failure which is not good. Hopefully this is not the case (if it is I have a few options available).

A stuck float will overflow the vent and get gas everywhere. The timing is not adjustable and cant' change. A vacuum leak or spark failure could cause a power loss. The CDI box could be failing and or other electrical gremlin so you for sure what the check that first.

Thank you for your time Sean and your advice. This forum and the people on it have made my vmax purchase that much better. Whatever it is it will be found and fixed. Love this bike never ridden anything like it. Has a few flaws (handling) im addressing. Im hoping it is electrical. I will be draining the oil after work tomorrow. Praying it's not all sparkles. I know I was really on it and it never skipped a beat before stopping. The oil will tell all I guess. Thanks again. I'll post what I find tomorrow

Possible you got some bad gas Pooli? put a little Seafoam in it, burn it up and refill again somewhere else maybe.

Do a quick check of your fuel filter after leaving that station.

(It would have saved me $170.00 bucks in towing fees, and countless hours cleaning the underground garbage that got sucked into my tank 2 seasons ago).

The new uni air filter deteriorated and got sucked into my carbs! Can this cause any damage? Will it just burn out? Changed oil and replaced air filter. Running better, I believe some of the foam is still in there

It's starting to clean up. What a dummy I feel like. Should have just bought a K&N. Watched your front end video with your daughter I believe Sean. Great vid.

Back