Problems with the oil level light/sender

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxout1200

Reaction score
Anyone else experiencing problem with the oil level light staying on? My 09 low oil level light has stayed on twice while riding the bike. Oil level is ok in window. I will have it checked by dealer when I change oil at 500 miles. Might be bad mojo having the first problems with the 09 at 120 miles!

I would take it straight back to the stealers and have it checked!! Don't risk it - it ain't worth it! If something's actually gone wrong in the motor you DO NOT wanna wait until 500 miles to find out.

Just my 2 cents, that's what I would do.

Drive it till blows up the cases this way you will get a new engine under warranty instead of them dicking around with it for the next 2 yrs..
You have to remember,, no one has any expierence on working on these GENII engines..
Blow it up and have a new engine crate shipped from Japan.. Thats my idea.

Mine did the same thing. Oil light comes on and stays on even if I don't start the engine. The only way to get it to turn off is to turn the key off for about 10 minutes and then it is fine...
It only happened once, and I think it happened from me turning the key off and on repeatedly. (Gas fillup ,Checking odo, then got a call, started, another call, shut off, etc.)

Mine did the same thing. Oil light comes on and stays on even if I don't start the engine. The only way to get it to turn off is to turn the key off for about 10 minutes and then it is fine...
It only happened once, and I think it happened from me turning the key off and on repeatedly. (Gas fillup ,Checking odo, then got a call, started, another call, shut off, etc.)

could be a bug of the first gen of the gen 2's...

if that ends up being their biggest flaw... thats not bad.

Well that is the only thing I have noticed out of the ordinary so far. Everything else is spot on. Fuel mileage seems to probably be around 30 to 35, however, I am getting about 18 or 19... I'm hitting the bike pretty hard for the break-in.

I'm not worried about it hurting the engine. It has oil in it. Oil level sensors on yamaha sport bikes have had similar problems. I think they may just stick during cold weather. If the sensor is malfunctioning the oil light is supposed to flash 12 times in rapid sucession. (self diagnoses) Mine dosen't do this which leads me to believe the sensor is ok but the float may be sticking for some reason.

Mine did the same. I only have 50 miles on it. Oil level sensor is on the very bottom of the pan to the rear. I talked to my dealer and he mentioned that the R1 glitches every once in a while as well. An air bubble gets trapped and causes the sensor read incorrectly. Again, this is what he told me. My light eventually went out...

Back