Rattle Can Paint

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had good luck with DupliColor "engine paint with ceramic-good for 500f"
It is available in 3 shades of black.
Most of the parts painted have been aluminum, but some have been mild steel, or stainless steel.
Regardless of the metal, I always rough up the surface with aluminum oxide sandpaper - 220 grit if painted flat black, 400 if gloss.
If using a cleaner, use a compatible product from the same brand of paint being used. Lately, I've avoided cleaners altogether, but avoid touching the parts after using the sandpaper.
I also always heat up the spray cans, using a hairdryer or heat gun (careful with this ) and the part to be painted. This also blows off any dust on the part. Not a lot of heat - probably less than 100f
Then one or two coats of sandable primer(usually DupliColor flat black), heating the part between coats. After 1/2 hr, the topcoat goes on, again after pre-heating, and heating between coats.
If the parts are small, they go on an old baking pan, then are placed in a pre-heated oven, 250f, for 20 minutes, then allowed to cool while still in the oven.
Whether luck or good management, using this procedure has given good results. I've never had a problem with the paint flaking off
Cheers!

Thanks for the advice. I used Duplicolor products, trying to stay consistent. The problem still lies that the primer will not adhere to the metal. I did not use any special products to clean, because I know there can be issues with residue. My patience has run out and time. Better to have pro do what I want.

Heating stuff up in an oven helps. It.burns off any thing that didn't get cleaned off. Touching stuff with your hands before paint is a no no too. I wouldn't use the oven in your kitchen if I were you, unless you already cured powder coat in it. In which case you gonna die. Death by wife.

Heating stuff up in an oven helps. It.burns off any thing that didn't get cleaned off. Touching stuff with your hands before paint is a no no too. I wouldn't use the oven in your kitchen if I were you, unless you already cured powder coat in it. In which case you gonna die. Death by wife.

Good advice.
I did get caught. She didn't kill me, only because I haven't finished all the house renovations.
But she did beat me around the face, with a cast-iron pan.
People tell me that I'm not as pretty as I used to be.:confused2:

Well, I don't' have to worry about death by wife! Wasn't the first kind of surgery 'cast iron', before plastic surgery?

Back