Restarts then stalls after initial warm up

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1929fordtudor

Reaction score
First post here but longtime Max owner. I purchased a 2012 gen 2 with 1500 miles, cat delete, and power commander. Here’s the problem I’m having. I will start the bike, let it warm up and ride about a mile to the gas station. After I fill up and try to restart, it’s starts and stalls immediately. It will continue to do this until I twist the throttle on startup and hold it at high rpms for about 15-20 seconds and then it’s fine. Every once in a while it will even do it after an hour ride then restart. Very confusing to me. I’m used to the gen 1’s. Thanks for the help.

First post here but longtime Max owner. I purchased a 2012 gen 2 with 1500 miles, cat delete, and power commander. Here’s the problem I’m having. I will start the bike, let it warm up and ride about a mile to the gas station. After I fill up and try to restart, it’s starts and stalls immediately. It will continue to do this until I twist the throttle on startup and hold it at high rpms for about 15-20 seconds and then it’s fine. Every once in a while it will even do it after an hour ride then restart. Very confusing to me. I’m used to the gen 1’s. Thanks for the help.

2 things come to mind for me. Throttle bodies that need to be syncd, and do you know if the ECU has been reflashed as well as the power commander? If the ECU is stock, I wonder about the fuel settings, that is in the power commander.

I’m not sure if the ECU has been reflashed. How can I tell?
I did take it to the shop and had it dyno tuned. He did make some adjustments to the fuel settings he told me. It was popping on deceleration pretty bad before and this helped. I did have the problem before I took it in.
From what I’ve read on here it seems like the factory didn’t do a very good job syncing the throttle bodies. I’ve rebuilt and synced my carbureted vmaxs numerous times but have never messed with throttle bodies. My first FI bike. Time to do some research and figure out how to do the sync.
Thanks for your advice

I’m not sure if the ECU has been reflashed. How can I tell?
I did take it to the shop and had it dyno tuned. He did make some adjustments to the fuel settings he told me. It was popping on deceleration pretty bad before and this helped. I did have the problem before I took it in.
From what I’ve read on here it seems like the factory didn’t do a very good job syncing the throttle bodies. I’ve rebuilt and synced my carbureted vmaxs numerous times but have never messed with throttle bodies. My first FI bike. Time to do some research and figure out how to do the sync.
Thanks for your advice

Same exact procedure with TB's. 4 ports to connect sync tool and 4 screws to adjust. There is 1 screw that is marked in red. They recommend not adjusting that one - it is the reference body, just adjust the other 3.

So I pulled out my sync tool Saturday and checked the readings. I let the bike warm up, turned it off and hooked up the gauges and when I went to restart it did the same thing. Starts and stalls immediately, starts and stalls immediately, start and hold throttle partly open for several seconds then it’s fine. Checked the gauges and they were all four spot on. Very strange.

If you have a laptop, install the Dynojet software on it and connect to the PCV. You can then download the map and also view the what's going on when the bike is idling.

It may be that fuel is being pulled at startup causing the engine to stall. There is an option for adding startup fuel. This is just a guess of course, but the PCV controls all the fueling so it is suspect. If you can take a photo of the map from your PC screen it would be helpful. You might just need a slight tweak to the map which is easy to do.

What is the reference throttle body pulling for vacuum on your guys gen 2s.

I think all 4 are sitting at 20mmHg.-22mmHg

I think this idiot adjusted the wrong screw and now I'm not so sure my shit is right.

Back