Rotor resurface/cleaning

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnCandyass

Reaction score
Hey all. All of the sudden my rear brake started squealing like crazy and I noticed how bad the wear is. I am going to go ahead and rebuild the caliper and get new pads but what is my best option to fix this rotor. Scotchbrite didn't touch it so I will move on to sandpaper next if that is recommended.

Thanks for any recommendations

Attachments

• PXL_20240521_123822778.jpg
    PXL_20240521_123822778.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Buy a new one. It's 50 bucks.

Other than that, you're better off leaving it alone and letting the new pad wear into it.
Well the ebc rotor is a bit expensive. It's got plenty of meat so I'm gonna give it a shot sanding off what's on there. It's been good for about a year and all of the sudden this must have happened within the last month.

Again, NOT advisable. You'll in all likelihood do far more damage trying to sand it smooth than simply letting the new pads wear in.

After all, you have no way at all of being even remotely precise.

gotta agree with Parminio here….unless you have a way to chuck it up on an actual rotor resurfacing machine you’ll do more damage than good.

They’re not that thick to begin with…

it’s your bike tho 🤷‍♂️

It is excessively thick on those EBC's and if there is a local shop with a surface grinder they can get them back flat. But, the pads will seat into the groves and be ok if you leave it as is.

It is excessively thick on those EBC's and if there is a local shop with a surface grinder they can get them back flat. But, the pads will seat into the groves and be ok if you leave it as is.
Yes Sean I should have mentioned it was a MD2068. I made the post while I was at work and have been taking it apart awhile ago. Piston was pretty much stuck cockeyed and mashing the pad into the outer rim. After a much more aggressive scour with scotchbrite it's much less noticable. Back side looks fine.

Note brake drums and rotors have cast into them a maximum width (drums) measured across the drum's diameter, not the width of where the shoes contact. The disc will have a minimum thickness. If you can find a shop to resurface them, you may find there isn't much difference between buying a new Chinese rotor and the cost of having them re-surfaced. I'd say that if you have ridges so the surface across the rotor is very-uneven they should be replaced. Shaft-drive bikes and longer-wheelbase bikes get more use out of the rear brake than does a short-wheelbase sportbike.

They really are a disposable wear item. Use your buzz-box and make some yard art like CaptainKyle.

Latest posts

Back