Runnning like Crap!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OCVmax

Reaction score
All of a sudden my Max is running like crap! Rode to work today, and she feels like she cutting out every once in a while. Sometimes for a split second, other times for 2-3 seconds. Can't tell if its fuel or electrical. And at idle, keeps going from 1000 rpm down to 500 then back up. Where do I start. I have limited time and tools....so be gentle please!

I would start with electrical. Remove all four plugs and reinsert into cap. Set on top of valve cover so that they are grounded. Turn the bike over and make sure all four are firing...should see a crisp, blue spark.

Check the vacuum advance hose. It comes off the front left cyclinder on the intake right under the carb. Don't just LOOK at the hose, inspect it. A slight crack in this particular hose will create the same sort of issue. And us EASY to overlook because it such a simple thing. How do I know? Because I almost sold my Max over a $.50 hose.

If the engine ever spits or back fires thru the carbs it could have blew the air filter box off of one of the carbs. I had the same symthoms and it took a while to discover my air box had blown off one carb. The clamps that hold the air box on don't seem to hold very well. The screws bottom out befor you get a good positive, tightly fitted clamp on the carbs.

Back