Sitting Tall Haha Ha Ha Ha

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the Busa and Kawi boards, practically everyone is laughing at it !

Too bad, as I had high hopes for this generation !!

Of course, why wouldn't they laugh at it? The competition is always going to talk shit about a bike they don't own, especially a bike that will either destroy theirs performance wise or give them a run for their money. What else would you expect? There are things that could stand a change on this new version but what bike doesn't have it's disappointments? If you're basing your opinion on what the competition is saying then the Vmax clearly isn't for you and you should just join their group!

Isn't that the way they built the first vmax, from the parts bins of other models, venture, virago, maxims - Atleast this time they have a completely new motor - Yamaha has always done this with their bikes, snowmachines, etc... I have an RX-1 sled that has the R1 engine in it.

To me, it should have kept the price down by doing this, but I think Yamaha is getting gready on this new vmax - $21,999 Cdn msrp is alot of $$$ for a parts bin bike. that is too bad tho - will have to see what the future holds as far as pricing goes.

Mike

That is the general approach to build a bike is use what is available, but if you read all the articles on the 2nd Gen, they started on it in 1996! That's 12 years of planning! To me, it doesn't look like a bike that went through 12 years of planning and design, IMO.

However, in light of the current economic situation in the US, I don't think an $18,000+ Jap bike will be a big seller. Once the initial buying frenzy cools down the overpriced Max will be collecting dust on the dealer showroom floor.

The 2nd gen will no doubt attract attention at bike gatherings but I bet the small talk will be more negative than positive. There are just too many "faults" that will be picked apart by other motorcyclists. Even on Max specific forums the bike receives a lot of negative comments. On the Busa and Kawi boards, practically everyone is laughing at it !

Too bad, as I had high hopes for this generation !!

There are many cruisers on the Yamaha list that are 20000 bikes here in Canada, par dollar to us and they are selling...i see them all the time on the road....18,000 for a jap bike is reality.

Sport bikes are targeted at kids....they are priced to compete for the meager income of a young 20 something boy. They don't make as much profit on them. Ever wonder why HD prefers to stick with cruisers? it knows that a 9000 dollar sport bike is a money loser...thats why.

And in that spirit I can tell you the kawi and Busa sites are filled with young guys whose opinion means nothin....and isnt relevant because they will always diss anything that is more than they can afford...

The only Fault this new bike has, will be a bad quarter mile time...if that comes to pass..... for 25 years people accused the old max as being heavy too....with an outdated crappy suspension and bad brakes, flimsy chassis....
They corrected that... so...????

There are many cruisers on the Yamaha list that are 20000 bikes here in Canada, par dollar to us and they are selling...i see them all the time on the road....18,000 for a jap bike is reality.

Sport bikes are targeted at kids....they are priced to compete for the meager income of a young 20 something boy. They don't make as much profit on them. Ever wonder why HD prefers to stick with cruisers? it knows that a 9000 dollar sport bike is a money loser...thats why.

And in that spirit I can tell you the kawi and Busa sites are filled with young guys whose opinion means nothin....and isn't relevant because they will always diss anything that is more than they can afford...

The only Fault this new bike has, will be a bad quarter mile time...if that comes to pass..... for 25 years people accused the old max as being heavy too....with an outdated crappy suspension and bad brakes, flimsy chassis....
They corrected that... so...????

I hate to tell you but the Harley guys at least down here in the states are laughing at it too they are asking on their boards what is it,so if its not geared at the cruiser crowd and not the sportbike crowd who is not laughing at it.the I want it because its a Vmax crowd? that crowd is pretty small.

"The only fault this new bike has will be a bad quarter mile time"??? what good is it then??? thats why the max was born? for $20.000 Ive got 197HP but I get wipped in the quarter by a handful of bikes that cost $ 8000.00 less with less HP but I still have 197 HP? who's laughing at who?

hercules and everyone else too, lets relax a bit and see what it really does before we get all excited or upset:biglaugh::bang head: . we can hope it is fast and handsome till we see real tests and see one in person. by the way im sure it will beat almost all 1st gen max out of the box no matter the mods[some highly modded exceptions]. price is high but so is gas:damn angry:. the 85 model was the most expensive bike they sold except the venture at the time so it is very similar in price comparitively:ummm:. i cant afford one now either but i wish i could.:th_angelic008:

I hate to tell you but the Harley guys at least down here in the states are laughing at it too they are asking on their boards what is it,so if its not geared at the cruiser crowd and not the sportbike crowd who is not laughing at it.the I want it because its a Vmax crowd? that crowd is pretty small.

"The only fault this new bike has will be a bad quarter mile time"??? what good is it then??? thats why the max was born? for $20.000 Ive got 197HP but I get wipped in the quarter by a handful of bikes that cost $ 8000.00 less with less HP but I still have 197 HP? who's laughing at who?

um are you new to the whole vmax history? i mean seriously the whole "its not a sport bike its not a cruiser" deal has been going on for ever..... its NEVER been a mass market bike man.... forget the new bike here, the old bike had the same philosophical issues of not fitting in.... so yes the crowd is very small.... it always has been.. i had to order my max in 2006.... you never see them on dealer floors.....

A far as my comment about quarter would be its only fault..
im sorry but you misunderstood me...
let me be more precise...
If the bike has a great quarter mile time then no one will give a rats ass about all these faults we are nit picking about... thats its raison d'?tre ...
if it sucks in the quarter...therefore....that will be it true only fault.

by the way i have no hatred for Harley's or sport bikes: my point was price...

People are spending that kind of money on all bikes...jap, Italian and American... For instance...ducati lowered the price of its entry level sport bike to 17 and sells them so well it turned the companies profits around...

Star motorcycles has a few in that price range...more coming

We all know harley does and more.....

the suggestion that japanese bikes are economy bikes is just wrong.... Hyosun's are economy bikes....

I think Yamaha screwed up! but you all already know that,I also think George Bush is a moron along with Chaney and the whole white House staff and No I'm not a Democrat somethings are just common sense if you use common sense.

My thoughts are I can go get a Busa, put a 250 or 300 on the rear,nice paint job with chrome frame even turbo charge or supercharge it for 20.000 now thats a no brainer to me! I don't want to hear about inflation and the cost of fuel and all that.Where is your 20.000 grand going? is it the "high tech motor"? the sportbike like frame? I at least could understand if it were all chromed out that would make a little more sense [chroming is expensive and time consuming] 20.000 for a Jap bike I can take apart with an Allen wrench just does not cut it for me! IMHO!!!

My thoughts are I can go get a Busa, put a 250 or 300 on the rear,nice paint job with chrome frame even turbo charge or supercharge it for 20.000 now thats a no brainer to me! I don't want to hear about inflation and the cost of fuel and all that.Where is your 20.000 grand going? is it the "high tech motor"? the sportbike like frame? I at least could understand if it were all chromed out that would make a little more sense [chroming is expensive and time consuming] 20.000 for a Jap bike I can take apart with an Allen wrench just does not cut it for me! IMHO!!!

Well then, Herc, go buy a 'Busa, baby! They're waiting on you down at your local Suzuki dealer. The '08 'Busa is sweet. (Get the blue one.)

I'm not sure why this has got you so wound up. There's plenty of different bikes to choose from, and if Yamaha didn't make the new Max for you - well, there are other options. But damn, stomping on these guys' parade repeatedly. Life's too short for that, but whatever.

Well then, Herc, go buy a 'Busa, baby! They're waiting on you down at your local Suzuki dealer. The '08 'Busa is sweet. (Get the blue one.)

I'm not sure why this has got you so wound up. There's plenty of different bikes to choose from, and if Yamaha didn't make the new Max for you - well, there are other options. But damn, stomping on these guys' parade repeatedly. Life's too short for that, but whatever.

Dude as said before I had been waiting for the new max for over 10 years my first bike was a Yamaha DT175 then a Yamaha IT250 then a Yamaha 650 Special II and around 89 I had a Honda V65 magna then a 88 Vmax,I like many are disappointed more then anything with Yamaha's or Stars marketing BS you wait close to 15 years for the new max and they feed you a $20.000 price tag with the limited edition crap thrown in.year after year they kept saying next year.

They ought to have a little more respect for their following!!!

No doubt. Clearly you're upset with the new Max Hercules so I guess you might as well go with a Busa or a Harley or whatever. Maybe in another 20 years Yamaha / Star will be able to disappoint you again!

No doubt. Clearly you're upset with the new Max Hercules so I guess you might as well go with a Busa or a Harley or whatever. Maybe in another 20 years Yamaha / Star will be able to disappoint you again!

Boys, boys, boys, Hercules has only stated his opinions on the new max - just because you fellows don't agree, it doesn't mean you have to throw out the "B" or "H" words - Damn, he doesn't need a new max anyways - his is looking damn fine.

I think we are all getting a little carried away on a bike that most of us - except you ROB06 has not seen or touched yet.

Mike

And in that spirit I can tell you the kawi and Busa sites are filled with young guys whose opinion means nothin....and isnt relevant because they will always diss anything that is more than they can afford...

That statement is BS and you sound like those you are trying to stereotype. "They are young so their opinions are meaningless...":icon_rolleyes: Also I help admin a Busa forum and with the thousands of dollars they put into them for mods, they are not a poor mans bike.

Kiss ass!!! Vikings Suck!!!

LOL I guess the best thing to do is wait till this Gothic, heavy ass, expensive piece of++++ Vmax comes out before we speculate one way or the other LOL[I got mine in] its not worth getting riled up about.

by the way i have no hatred for Harley's or sport bikes: my point was price...

People are spending that kind of money on all bikes...jap, Italian and American... For instance...ducati lowered the price of its entry level sport bike to 17 and sells them so well it turned the companies profits around...

Star motorcycles has a few in that price range...more coming

We all know harley does and more.....

the suggestion that japanese bikes are economy bikes is just wrong.... Hyosun's are economy bikes....

Sure, there are bikes that cost a lot of $$. But try and find a Jap bike that retails for $18,000 msrp or more. (at least for the 2008 models...how much the '09's will go up has yet to be seen) The only one currently offered that costs more is the Gold Wing @ $19,600-$24,649 and that's before all the discounts now being offered. Other than that one, no Jap bike even comes close to $18K. Even the top BMW retails for under $15K ! The Max is priced thousands above any other bike in the Star lineup....except for the fully decked out Royal Star Venture S @ $17,600. In the unlikely event the Max becomes the 1/4 mi champ, it will still be priced way too high. People willing to spend MSRP and more for this bike are just adding fuel to inflation. Look how long we have been waiting for a new Max.....if enough people voiced concern over the price by not purchasing and waited just one more year...Yammi would have lowered the price to where it should have been all along !!

Back