VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This only happens intermittently (and, at night when it's dark).....I will notice sparking from the plug wire AND/OR the engine (valve cover) to the frame of the bike. Again, it's only on occasion, and it's from the #1 cylinder (left side, closest to rider?).
Has anyone seen that sort of thing? I've checked the wire(s), caps, etc. I never get shocked from it. I've checked the ground wire to the frame, too.
Any suggestions?

Also, anyone ever notice some oily buildup in bottom of airbox. Not much, just a little.

Other than that, I've had this 85 Vmax for a year now, and I'm exceedingly happy with it.

I use this forum often for guidance. I appreciate you guys being here. Thank you.

Your loosing spark for sure! I would replace your wires and caps or better yet, ditch the whole system and go with a set of Gannon's COP's!

Maybe the engine isn't earthed. Cant see any reason for a spark to jump from rocker cover to frame if the engine is earthed.
There's an earth wire connected to the crankcase just near the oil filler, which I think goes to the battery.

Your loosing spark for sure! I would replace your wires and caps or better yet, ditch the whole system and go with a set of Gannon's COP's!

Agree with Mr Maximus.
The HT current will always try to take the shortest route to earth and if it can avoid that tedious jump over the plug gap it will.

The sort of pyrotechnics you describe is the HT systems way of telling you that it either needs cleaning (unscrew the HT leads from the coils and plug caps and thoroughly clean) or replacing.

You may get away with just the wire but I'd also replace the caps.

If funds allow the CoP's are a good alternative.

This is a symptom of low voltage and your TCI box is acting up. I"ll bet this arcing only occurs after your bike has warmed up to the point where the fan has kicked on.

I chased this gremlin for more YEARS than I care to mention here, and nearly sold my Max because of it. New plugs. New wires. New caps. Added cover to the new wires. Quadruple-checked the connections between both the caps/wires and wires/coils to ensure proper fit. Ground wires removed, cleaned and retightened. Even cleaned the surface where the spark plug tightens agains the heads. NOTHING WORKED FOR ME.

That's when I first found this forum and began discussing the miss at below 2500 rpms and the arcing (arcing only after the fan turned on).

I had to fix my charging system to get better low-rpm voltage. When I did that, all the arcing cured itself. No more dying while stopped at a light, or in the driveway.
Made zero sense to me, but that is what cured my bike from doing it.

Thanks for the advice. I notice your 'squids' banner. Does it refer to the US Navy? I was a signalman (SM3) on the USS Thorn DD-988, in Charleston, SC from 1989 - 1993.
Are those real, or just a joke? I mean, I never heard of them, and the names are pretty funny.

Thanks for the advice. I notice your 'squids' banner. Does it refer to the US Navy? I was a signalman (SM3) on the USS Thorn DD-988, in Charleston, SC from 1989 - 1993.
Are those real, or just a joke? I mean, I never heard of them, and the names are pretty funny.

Unfortunately.....no.

I refer to squids because of my riding 'style'. I have been known to wear shorts, sandals, and a tanktop to ride. I've also been seen on public highways, where law allows, riding without a helmet. Shame on me!!! I also run a car tire on my Honda Rune and will most assuredly die by a flaming death - IF the shorts & sandal riding don't kill me first. :biglaugh:

Many ATGATT riders refer to that style as being a squid.

Latest posts

Back