Speedo wire ?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VMax-Mike

Reaction score
My speedo has a white wire with a green stripe That im told i can use for a signal to switch from launch mode to shift mode. Sitting still the bike will be in launch mode and when the bike is rolling the speedo has a sensor that will send a signal down the wire to the turn signal relay. This is all i have herd about this and before i splice the wire i would like to know more about how it works and will it work for my shift light.

That wire goes from the reed switch in the speedo to the turn signal relay. It basically senses when the bike is moving so will automatically cancel the turn signals after either 10 seconds or 490 feet...whichever is greater.

When will the wire get the signal. When the bike starts to roll or at 490 feet

My speedo has a white wire with a green stripe That im told i can use for a signal to switch from launch mode to shift mode. Sitting still the bike will be in launch mode and when the bike is rolling the speedo has a sensor that will send a signal down the wire to the turn signal relay. This is all i have herd about this and before i splice the wire i would like to know more about how it works and will it work for my shift light.

The latest version of the Ignitech TCI I am selling has 2 programmable outputs that can be used for a dual stage light.

One is a RPM shift light that van be programmed in 100 RPM increments to come on when the RPM setting is passed.

2nd new feature is a programmable output that is programmable to come on between two RPM's settings. It can also be tied into the throttle position sensor (TPS) or Vacuum sensor for a logic table.

I attached a screen shot of this function showing RPM light coming on above 10,000 and launch light coming on between 4000 & 4500, then coming back on at 9000. This is 1st attached picture. This can also be set not to come back on at the 9000 RPM if desired. All these RPM numbers I am showing are user selectable in 100 RPM increments.

The mode power output 2 can be set to a single RPM # and when this # is exceeded the attached light will come on. This is shown in 2nd attached picture.

I believe these two outputs are a ground signal and the light or other device is connected to this pin and other side hooked to 12VDC battery. I will know for sure when I get the new version units I have on order in a week or two.

Gary

Attachments

• Output screen 1.jpg
    Output screen 1.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Output screen 2.jpg
    Output screen 2.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 5
I might go with a spark box in the future for rev protection. But for now I will use a signal from the clutch switch or the speedo wire to the turn signal relay if it will work. What i need to find out is will the white wire with green stripe get a pulse when the bike starts to move or will it take 490 feet and than send a pulse. ****For Dual Mode Shift Light Install, see below****
Will this work? Connect the white wire of the shift light to the green wire with white stripe, coming from the turn signal cancelling module located under the left faux air scoop. (With ignition on, this wire has a pulsating voltage when the front wheel is turning due to a reed resistor in the speedo cable housing; no pulse when sitting still.) I no the wire color is wrong at that is a red flag to me.

I might go with a spark box in the future for rev protection. But for now I will use a signal from the clutch switch or the speedo wire to the turn signal relay if it will work. What i need to find out is will the white wire with green stripe get a pulse when the bike starts to move or will it take 490 feet and than send a pulse. ****For Dual Mode Shift Light Install, see below****
Will this work? Connect the white wire of the shift light to the green wire with white stripe, coming from the turn signal cancelling module located under the left faux air scoop. (With ignition on, this wire has a pulsating voltage when the front wheel is turning due to a reed resistor in the speedo cable housing; no pulse when sitting still.)

The wire you are refering to White with green tracer is hooked to a reed switch as previously mentioned. One side of this reed switch is hooked to ground and the other, in the VMax wiring, only goes to the turn signal cancel unit.

The reed switch cycles every revolution of the speedometer cable by means of a magnet in speedo head that rotates past this reed switch. so for every revolution of the wheel, the speedo cable turns about 3 revolutions. So in turn for every revolution of wheel, the green wire will receive a momentary pulse to ground.

It would take a timing circuit to trigger a relay or another circuit to determine when bike was moving at a given speed.

Also there is the possibility this pulse is fast enough to hold a relay up while wheel is turning. You could also do what is called snubbing a relay, which makes it slow release by placing a capacitor across the coils. This would probably allow a relay to hold up while wheel is turning.

Attached picture shows schematic cut of this reed switch (speedometer sensor)

Gary

Attachments

• Speedo sensor.jpg
    Speedo sensor.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 10
So if the bike is on the line sitting still and the raptor shift light is in launch mode and i let the clutch out to start the bike down the strip just as soon as the tire rotate's one time it will be sending a pulse down the wire correct. I dont see anything stoping the pulse from going down the wire

So if the bike is on the line sitting still and the raptor shift light is in launch mode and i let the clutch out to start the bike down the strip just as soon as the tire rotate's one time it will be sending a pulse down the wire correct. I dont see anything stoping the pulse from going down the wire

That's correct. As soon as bike moves, pulsing starts, as the bike speeds up, the pulses speed up.

At some point they reed switch may actually not pulse, but stay in a steady closed state, due to it can't open and close fast enough. Somewhat like valve float at a high RPM.

Gary

I would need the pulse all the time or it would go back into launch mode wouldent it. I need to find out if the pulse is always there when moving.

I am not sure if this is a normally open or a normally closed reed switch.

I tried to check it on my Venture. It has a butt connector in this circuit on the models with cruise control. But I can't reach this connector since I put the Vboost & VMax air cleaner on it.

I really don't know what the circuit is you are trying to control with this, what you are referring to as launch mode.

It will probably be important to know if this is a normal open or closed circuit. Someone with a speedo head could check this. Be sure to rotate speedo cable and see if it pulses open or closed.

Gary

Back