Sputter

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm running C.O.P's and have bought 3 different sets and still same problem. Each of the times I have cleaned the carbs it has been a complete and total tear down of them including jet blocks. I will rig up something and try to check voltage while riding and let you know. Thanks.

Voltage results: off 13.03 -- Idle 13.95 -- 2000RPM and up 14.44 and steady all the way thru when it stumbles and sputters and same after.

I realize your bike is completely stock, but did you check the jet sizes and needle settings when you were in the carbs, to see if all of that is stock? If so, what about experimenting with main jet size, to see if that makes a difference in high-rpm operation?
I think that would involve going up a size , because of the bogging down at high rpm's, but as I said previously, I'm not a carb guy.
In any case, good luck!
You will eventually find and solve the problem, and
add to the wealth of info on this forum.:punk:

I do not know the jet size that is in it. I will take apart again and find out. I have just recently shimmed up the needles with no change. What is the stock jet size? Where is a good place to get jets? I think I'm also going to try a different fuel pump. jfeagins had mentioned that it could be a pump problem. I'm going to try that Mr. Gasket 42S that is mentioned on the forum in another post. Again I would like to thank everyone for there help.

I do not know the jet size that is in it. I will take apart again and find out. I have just recently shimmed up the needles with no change. What is the stock jet size? Where is a good place to get jets? I think I'm also going to try a different fuel pump. jfeagins had mentioned that it could be a pump problem. I'm going to try that Mr. Gasket 42S that is mentioned on the forum in another post. Again I would like to thank everyone for there help.[/QUOTE
Keep the faith, Brett. I'm sure the carb guys will chirp in, regarding jet size changes, and availability.
Cheers!

Time for another disappointing update. Installed the Mr. Gasket fuel pump with same sputtering results.

Ok, I'm going to try a larger main jet size next. Don't know how big to go but I guess I'll start here. Does anybody have a set of (4) 155 or 157.5 mains they want to sell?

Finally some good news. Long story short, I replaced a carb that had a frozoen A/F screw. That fixed that problem but created a new one. The replacement had an air corrector installed and I didnt realize it untill now. I removed it and it runs great.

I would like to Thank everyone for the help and ideas.

Finally some good news. Long story short, I replaced a carb that had a frozoen A/F screw. That fixed that problem but created a new one. The replacement had an air corrector installed and I didnt realize it untill now. I removed it and it runs great.

I would like to Thank everyone for the help and ideas.

Wow your bike is finally back to normal. I wish I could've helped you. I know this thread is going to help a bunch of people over time. You are a patient man I would've gave up a long time ago. :clapping:

First of all -- congrats on finally smashing that gremlin and now enjoying the full ride! But second of all, I want to sincerely thank you for keeping this thread updated. Newbs like me learn a lot from threads like this!

Latest posts

Back