Tank rust

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcmem8

Reaction score
Hi fellow maxers,
I took my tank out because when I drained my carb bowls a few weeks ago I noticed rust coloured particles in the fuel plus one of the bowls (front left) wouldn't even drain. Anyway I bought a KBS rust repair kit for fuel tanks but I dont see much rust in the tank just a couple of small surface rust spots.
How bad does the rust need to be before it will cause a problem or could the particles I saw be coming from somewhere else?
Thanks lads:punk:

As soon-as your overflow tubes start spitting gas from a rust particle holding the float valve open. Doesn't take much.

There is an electrolysis process you can do yourself which will clean your tank, simple & cheap, I have never done it but I am getting ready to try it for a DT/RT-1 gas tank I just got. It's solid, but has rust inside.

Indeed it doesn't take much to screw up the carbs - very little rust dust is needed to stop the needle valves from sealing. Also you may no 'see' much rust, but there are many blind spots.

Many recommend a tank treatment that's looks like a silver paint, I can't remember the name of it but basically you clean up the tank, put that stuff in, roll it all around to coat every surface, let it dry properly and Bob's your uncle - no more hassle.

Do check all your fuel tubing and the fuel pump as well - it's very easy to dismantle and blow clean. Then you should be good!

Indeed it doesn't take much to screw up the carbs - very little rust dust is needed to stop the needle valves from sealing. Also you may no 'see' much rust, but there are many blind spots.

Many recommend a tank treatment that's looks like a silver paint, I can't remember the name of it but basically you clean up the tank, put that stuff in, roll it all around to coat every surface, let it dry properly and Bob's your uncle - no more hassle.

Do check all your fuel tubing and the fuel pump as well - it's very easy to dismantle and blow clean. Then you should be good!

+1 Time for a tank treatment and carb cleaning for sure.

The system Naughty is referring to is the POR-15, I used it recently on an XJ tank and it worked perfectly. Just follow the directions to the letter and you won't have any more rust problems. :punk:

Edit: Not saying that is the best price but it's the stuff you want to use:

http://www.advanced-rust-protection...een=PROD&Product_Code=CTRK&Category_Code=Kits

Great thank you very much gents, thats all I needed to know.
This forum is so helpful, where I live the bike shops wont even work on an "old" bike like mine and Vmax's are rare here.
You guys always give me the answers I need.
Thanks heaps:worthy:

Evapo-Rust. Treat it, drain it, fill it, forget about it. Next best thing since sliced bread. Available at Harbor Freight for about 30 bucks a gallon, but it is reusable, I normally get 4/5 tanks out of a 5 gallon bucket. I'm telling you, I swear by this stuff, the metal looks like new when it's done! Only takes 24/48 hours, although I have soaked some tanks a week for REALLY stubborn rust. Try it out, you'll be glad you did!

Evapo-Rust. Treat it, drain it, fill it, forget about it. Next best thing since sliced bread. Available at Harbor Freight for about 30 bucks a gallon, but it is reusable, I normally get 4/5 tanks out of a 5 gallon bucket. I'm telling you, I swear by this stuff, the metal looks like new when it's done! Only takes 24/48 hours, although I have soaked some tanks a week for REALLY stubborn rust. Try it out, you'll be glad you did!

Cheers mate I will write the name of that stuff down it sounds really good.
I already bought a KBS tank repair kit but I will try that stuff next time.

I used the KBS kit on three tanks including my current Max and it has held up great. Just be patient and follow the directions carefully.

I have cleaned and lined more than my share of tanks over the years since I work on vintage and just old bikes. The absolute best stuff I have for is Caswell Gas Tank Sealer its a 2 stage kit that runs about 100USD but it is damned worth it.

www.caswellplating.com

A few times I just rinsed out tanks with muratic acid. It takes rust right off and leaves you bare metal. Then I rinsed it out with water and let it dry. The lining kits are probably better, but muratic acid will work if the metal is solid.

A few times I just rinsed out tanks with muratic acid. It takes rust right off and leaves you bare metal. Then I rinsed it out with water and let it dry. The lining kits are probably better, but muratic acid will work if the metal is solid.

You need to closely-monitor the use of muriatic acid and for heaven's sake do NOT pour it down the drain when you are done w/it! It will clean your tank. I first tried it back in the 1970's on a Kawasaki H1 500 triple tank, it worked great. Remember, you add acid to water to dilute the acid, NOT the other way! It's always a good idea to wear rubber gloves, total body coverage, including goggles and to have a charged water hose at arm's length too.

Back