The Mains have an effect on the Pilot circuit!!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RagingMain

Reaction score
This might seem a little strange or might be old hat to some of you but...
I have been tuning the carbs and went for a nice long ride today with Mark's A/F meter ziptied to my bike, shhh dont tell him, and was running 13-13.5:1 while crusing down the highway.

Thought to myself, self, this here is a little rich so when I get home I will change my mains.

Well at idle I was also showing about 13.5:1 sitting at lights and just light cruising.

I went from 155s to 150s and wouldnt you know it my idle mix went up to 14:1

Now I know the only place that fuel enters the entire carb is through the mains but I always thought that the pilot screw being so small would be the limiting factor. Guess I was wrong, changing the mains will have an effect on your pilot circuit as well.

Now you know and knowing is half the battle :punk::punk:
Cheers.

i always assumed but had no evidence. was it enough to hear a difference? i doubt it eh? something only those with an a/f meter would be able to tell.

i always assumed but had no evidence. was it enough to hear a difference? i doubt it eh? something only those with an a/f meter would be able to tell.

Nope you couldnt not hear a difference either in idle sound or speed.
Exactly something only an a/f meter could pick up on.

Back