The new steed!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks! I’m very happy with it. I had originally looked at an HD Breakout but the Indian was cheaper, has a lot more tech, and a bigger motor at 116ci. Plus I like the retro styling 👍
Me too, looks like a fatboy! 😁

You're gonna be spoiled riding that new bike around. The Indian dealer closest to me whose shop I'd been-in, has closed its doors. The closest dealer is over 40 miles away. I however, have the closed-shop's Indian t-shirt!

If I spent $20K on a new bike, I'd want it to shine, the matte paintjobs normally don't appeal to me, but that looks OK.

Several years ago, at Bike Week, my buddy and I spoke with Brian Klock of Klock Werks and they had a beautiful Indian they had customized, and were releasing. It was the Jack Daniels Special, and I liked the job they did.

Indian Jack Daniels Special Klock Werks.png

Here's a good resource to see what that lucky ba_tard Hijinx1812 is throwing-over his leg, now:
2022 Indian Chief Dark Horse [Specs, Features, Photos] | wBW (webbikeworld.com) One-hundred twenty ft/lb torque is gonna dig-you out of the hole, off the line, quickly!

Last edited:
In honor of the new bike, here's their recently-released 'Square-Four.' Now Ariel won't be the only one of that configuration. Interestingly, the same guy designed the Triumph parallel vertical-twin as designed the Ariel Square Four: Edward Turner.

Apparently they're after the nostalgia market.

Indian double engine.png

Last edited:
I like that, it looks compact. I thought air cooled engined died a couple of years ago due to emission laws?

The ariel square four had two pairs of in line cylinders with two crankshafts, the twindian looks to be v twin x 2 so not technically square? - it looks like a Allen Millyard creation. Is it a production model or a one of special?

I like that, it looks compact. I thought air cooled engined died a couple of years ago due to emission laws?

The ariel square four had two pairs of in line cylinders with two crankshafts, the twindian looks to be v twin x 2 so not technically square? - it looks like a Allen Millyard creation. Is it a production model or a one of (sic) special?

This is something much-older than me and I collect Social Security.

Throwback Thursday: Twindian, homemade V4 - Bike Review

Twindian – Twin Engine Indian Motorcycle (thekneeslider.com)

Last edited:
I'd expect that someone selling a $20K bike, would spend whatever it took to have it running, to make a sale easier. "Ran when parked," they aren't that-rare, (it's no Brough Superior, Vincent Black Shadow/Black Lightning, or Crocker) pretty-'cheeky' of 'em to throw that # out, w/o getting the bugger to operate. Bollocks, I say! From following auction results in the last few years, the British bike market for Post-WW II bikes is pretty-soft, and nowhere-near what it was.

It does look to be in fine shape. Show your trailer queen some of your TLC (and $) to demonstrate operability.

I recall in N. Miami FL back in 1974, at the Kawasaki dealer on N. Dixie Hwy (today, apparently that name is 'racist,' and rumor has it, they'll soon be doing business on Harriet Tubman Blvd.), they had a Vincent Black Shadow for sale, they wanted $5K for it, which was > a half-year's wages for me at my construction job at the time. I used-to go there to buy parts for my road-rocket two-stroke triple 'widow-maker,' and wonder about how someone could possibly afford to-spend that much-money on a motorcycle?

If you compare the CPI (Consumer Price Index) today to 1974, the Miami Kawasaki dealer wanted >$8,000 more-than this MI collector, for his non-operational Ariel, to take-home that Vincent twin. My AC contractor owned a Black Shadow, unfortunately, he died not long-ago, in an industrial accident.

1952 Ariel Square Four for sale on BaT Auctions - closed on September 27, 2019 (Lot #23,336) | Bring a Trailer BID TO $12,513 ON 9/27/19, no-sale.

No Reserve: 35-Years-Owned 1951 Ariel Square Four for sale on BaT Auctions - sold for $23,000 on March 1, 2019 (Lot #16,725) | Bring a Trailer SOLD FOR $23,000 ON 3/1/19

The auction catalog for the results below is an interesting document, auction in MI 2019.
1957 Ariel Square Four Motorcycle ML533 $17,325.00
1957 Ariel Square Four Motorcycle ML533 $17,325.00

PAGE2-8.indd (vanderbrinkauctions.com)
Let's put it this way: the range of vehicles and parts this guy had is an amazing collection. Take a look at the catalog. Everything from pre-WW II racers to 21st century sportscars. His collection is heavy on midget racers, which is a particular interest of mine. They used boat engines (ELCO), Offenhausers, air-cooled VW's, Crosley's, SESCO-Chevy's (a small-block split into two, to make an inline-four: SESCO Engines - Speedway Motors Museum of American Speed though they also made V-4's), and flathead Ford-based engines, it was an innovative class of racing, and at times, they demonstrated they were competitive with the F1 cars of the day!

Those of you familiar with Allen Millyard's creations, might think, "why, he's the greatest!" should look at Ron Hoettel's work, which was put-onto the racetrack, indeed, that was the raison d'etre for his designs. One of my MI friends owned a SESCO-Chevy midget engine circle-track car, the engine designed and manufactured by this genius. Take a look at this engine, and tell me what you think was the basis for it.

Can you imagine this in a motorcycle? A Boss Hoss, with even an aluminum V8, is well-over 1,000 lbs, can you imagine this engine (below) with 2.7 litres, at half the weight of the Boss Hoss, and probably capable of 200 HP/litre, in a bike weighing say, 500 lbs? That's a bit-over 1 lb/HP!

Hyabusa-based midget auto racer engine.jpg

Why, it's a

Mindblower speakers-Tenna-Charlie Callas.jpg

Last edited:
I had a Victory Jackpot, and other than it handling like crap due to its low and wide stance, It was a very well built machine. I would not hesitate to pick up on of the new Indian offerings. One of my uncles has toured all over the US on one of their touring models, he has nothing but good things to say about them. That's a good looking bike!

I had a Victory Jackpot, and other than it handling like crap due to its low and wide stance, It was a very well built machine. I would not hesitate to pick up on of the new Indian offerings. One of my uncles has toured all over the US on one of their touring models, he has nothing but good things to say about them. That's a good looking bike!
The Chief handles amazingly well aside from the short maximum lean angle. I’ve had to alter my riding style since I brought it home. My first day riding it to work I found the right peg feeler when I leaned in to bomb a right hand sweeper. I learned to ride on sport bikes so my natural style is either “spirited” or “aggressive” depending on if you ask me or my wife - lol.

The Chief handles amazingly well aside from the short maximum lean angle. I’ve had to alter my riding style since I brought it home. My first day riding it to work I found the right peg feeler when I leaned in to bomb a right hand sweeper. I learned to ride on sport bikes so my natural style is either “spirited” or “aggressive” depending on if you ask me or my wife - lol.
Yea, the jackpot has a 250mm rear tire and sits very low. I used to routinely scrape the feelers on left hand turns from a stop and even the 2-1 exhaust I had on some twisties. It was a cool bike that looked and sounded awesome, just handled like pig with very short legs! Polaris makes a great bike, I'm sure you will be very happy with your bike for years to come. If I'm ever in the market for a new bike, I will be looking real hard at Indian.

Back