Took my 89 for a Ride with Start Your Engine in the Tank

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpecOps13

Reaction score
Finally getting caught up after my short absence... I got the tank in my 89 run down to a little over 2 gallons. So , I dumped the 4 ounces of Start Your Engine in. Their minimum recommendation is 2 oz per gallon. Started the bike to let it warm up some while I finished getting ready for the ride. It took a short time and I expected the idle to increase but what a shock I got. With this stuff in in, it wasn't the normal 500 or so RPM's. The idle went from 1050 to nearly 4,000... Flipped the choke all the way off and luckily, it went back to a normal idle...

Rode the bike to my favorite marina, took a few pictures to show off the new set of Mega Scoops better that my previously posted pictures... Bike ran very smooth all the way... I decided to jump on the Interstate and try a couple red line runs in third gear. All was well ran like a sewing machine.

When I got off the Interstate, I had a total of about 25 mile from the time I left home. Figured, as well as things were going I'd catch a light and run the bike for all it's worth. Got that opportunity, nothing in front of me for about 1/2 mile.. Hit all the gears hard, saw the needle go past 3 O'Clock on the speedometer and chopped the throttle, coming down on the brakes and downshifting...

Made the turn at my corner, Bike was running like chit. I look down to see fuel running across the top of my newly painted left scoop. I hit the driveway and grabbed a rag out of my Explorer. Too late. where the gas had hit the paint it was like honey... Pulled the covers off and found that the number 2, front left carb was overflowing the vent tube at the left side of the air box....

I pulled the left side plugs and found that the color was just fine on both but the front plug was wet. Swapped the 2 and reinstalled them. Drained that #2 carb bowel and found one tiny, tiny spec in what came out. Obviously something made the float stick. Hopefully it was just a one time thing, something the Start Your Engine freed up or de-gooked..

Restarted the bike and it ran perfect. :bang head::bang head::bang head:

Anyway, I'll repaint the scoop, no big deal. But, I'll install a set of stock scoops for a while... Here's some pictures before the incident....:rofl_200:

Start Your Engine must be better than paint thinner.. The paint I used is normally pretty fuel resistant...:confused2:

Dave

Attachments

• SD Right.jpg
    SD Right.jpg
    382.5 KB · Views: 66
  • SD Right Front.jpg
    SD Right Front.jpg
    383.9 KB · Views: 47
  • SD Front.jpg
    SD Front.jpg
    460.8 KB · Views: 43
  • SD Left Front.jpg
    SD Left Front.jpg
    325.5 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
so this shit seems to work pretty well? i may try some in mine.

yeah..ive used it.seems to clean out the crud pretty well.
the reviews for the stuff are awesome.
T.

So it's called "Start Your Engine"?

Where'd you buy it?

Thanks.

Elimax

Any auto store or wally world should have it.

That stuff has a bunch of Xylene and other powerful solvents in it, not real surprising it took paint off almost instantly. I imagine it would damage a lot of plastics as well, so be careful not to spill/splash any when adding it.

I put a pull can of B-12 in my truck with about 1/8 tank left and I'll be damned if it didn't have more punch when I took it out. Like the throttle is really touchy now and the motor spins up a lot more than it used to.

It's kind of wandering idle was fixed almost instantly though.

SkullDuggery's been running good about 99% of the time, just wanted to get that extra 1% back. This stuff impressed the hell out of me when
the idle jumped way up as soon as some of it worked it's way to the carbs. Made me wonder if it had some of the properties of Nitrous.... :rofl_200:

Is that my old luggage rack on your bike, Dave? Those scoops are bananas, BTW!

SeaTownV-Max: Yes Brother. Thanx for the compliment. Have you had any luck finding those parts you need? They were out of my league or I'd have helped you out...

Did you find fenders yet, I did a search and saw that you needed a set? Think I have a spare rear since I fixed the one Rusty sent.

Back