Unfortunate VMax new owners

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took the weekend college course back in '83. We were given choice of ride, either a 250 Rebel or a endure style XT125. Beyond this, it's quite a bit different than the current curriculum I've been told. Yes, we had many of the same obstacles and maneuvers to complete with: slow speed cones, applying brakes in corners and at speed left/right or front wheelie stops that compare. I'm not saying that todays course doesn't offer great training, but when I compare full notes with newer riders, they can't believe what I had to PASS over... literally.
There are two obstacles I was required to ride that strike fear in some of the new trainees I speak with. One, was the large diameter gymnasium climbing rope snaked on the asphalt. This obstacle was placed within the slow speed cone maneuvers. We were required to follow the curves of the rope and drive both of our tyres over the 20-25' length of if it, all the while NOT putting our feet down. Keep them on the pegs or you fail. Slow speed, not fast either. Slip your clutch, keep your weight evenly distributed, and your ass lightly floating, wiggle wiggle. I recall it gave me the feeling of MONSTER tar repair strips. This rope obstacle freaked many trainees out as it slipped your bike left and right. Threatening, as it played havoc with your centre of gravity, throwing you and the bike off. I attribute this obstacle as to why tar strips on the roads don't phase me much.
The second obstacle that I find isn't used today is the teeter totter. It was a wooden narrow box platform, about a foot to foot and a half wide, maybe about 7-8 feet long and a foot to a foot and a half high in the centre. With the pyramid of the totter facing down, we were required to slowly drive up the ramp, using our rear brake stop in the middle, hold balance briefly as the totter canted forward with our forward momentum to touch down our exit ramp side, release brake, slip clutch and slowly drive off. Always under control otherwise we failed.
LMAO some of the failures on this obstacle were stellar! Some figured they could "quickly" maneuver over the totter at speed. They ended up launching themselves off like a ramp. Unless they were aware they needed speed and were to land on their rear tyre first doing this. LMAO. Evel Knievel style. Down hard on the front wheel, lost control and wiped out. Gosh I recall more than a few without proper clutch and throttle control landing hard, and thus failed the course. Some even made it to the pinnacle, but couldn't hold balance and literally fell off to the left of right a foot and a half down. Bike sometimes crashing down onto them.
I recall a cocky guy and his girlfriend on separate Harleys. She was enrolled in the course. Ooohs and ahhs chit chat from some of the students... yeah, not much. She ended up falling off the teeter every time, and failed the course. The boyfriend ended up in a heated argument with the instructors about how this obstacle was bullish*t and it needed to be removed.
They retained the teeter totter, as I went back for a couple of years after to watch the new student riders. A good choice in my opinion.
I swear by my rider training. Shhhh don't tell anyone I was under age by a couple of months when I took the course at about 15 2/3. Before the course, I'd never ridden a motorcycle a day in my life. Peddle bikes, yes, TONNES of them. Had NO clue what counter steering was either.
The training, and ALL of the elements I have seen, and applied on the street. Saved my ass for certain as I kept my cool while on the seat and under pressure.
+++100 to proper rider training before out on the street. Good rider training is not only about your awareness and others around your bike. It's also about being able to control your ride too, big size or small.

The course i took just in march was pretty good and informative, but I found it strange that they incouraged the use of the school supplied little 250's and 125's. I think there was even a line in the paper work that said something to the effect of more people pass the class if you use the provided bikes. Which looking back on the class, the low speed zigzag cones would have been much tougher on the vmax. It's nice that they want to give people endorsements, but it can deffinately lead to people riding who maybe shouldn't be, or at least shouldn't be riding bikes they can't control.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

You did it just as I wrote! Start out on a 100 cc enduro or dirt bike, move up to a street bike once you're confident about traction dynamics and acceleration/braking.

The Suzuki 500 Titan 2 stroke twin has to be one of the best of the '70's bikes for the street. Reliable, fast enough to be fun, and no bad habits. My neighbor bought one new, and I rode it a few times, I let him ride my 305 Scrambler Honda, and then my brand-new Yamaha 360 Enduro. One night we took them to the school field where there was a bit of a dip (or a rise, going the other way). It wasn't the football field or baseball diamond, just an activity field. Anyway, we spent some time going up the incline, and seeing how far we could launch 'em in the air. The 360 was easier to control, launch, and land (of course, that's what it was made for). My neighbor was pretty-impressed at the distance I could stay in the air. For those of you too-young to recall, back-then if you had 4" of rear-wheel travel, that was a lot. That bike was a lot of fun, nothing in performance compared to the long-travel suspension and power of today of course, but a lot of people started riding on 250 cc two-stroke Yamahas, Suzukis, and Kawasakis. The Hondas back then were 4 stroke, heavier and down on power compared to the two strokes. Of course there were smaller and larger engines from all the manufacturers, and the Suzuki 400 Cyclone, Kawasaki 360 Bighorn, and Yamaha 360 Enduro and MX put you as one of the stars of the local dirtbike scene. If you were really hardcore and raced, you might have had a Bultaco Pursang, Maico 250/400, Montesa Scorpion or 250VR, OSSA 250 Pioneer, ISDT, or Dick Mann Replica, or other bike, I'm sure someone will mention the Hodakas.

Latest posts

Back