Unfortunate VMax new owners

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
An entry I found on another website:
Originally Posted by Lassen Forge
I remember going to the local Cycle Salvage years ago, they had a Yamaha V-Max with exactly 9.2 miles on the odometer that met the same fate - except the saddle of the bike was where the front of the car in that picture was...

The kid who had just bought it new was 19. Needless to say, he didn't make it to 20.

I remember going to the local Cycle Salvage years ago, they had a Yamaha V-Max with exactly 9.2 miles on the odometer that met the same fate - except the saddle of the bike was where the front of the car in that picture was...

The kid who had just bought it new was 19. Needless to say, he didn't make it to 20.

And another post:

There was one of those around here, back when they first came out. A V-Max T-boned a car with 4 people in it. He killed all 4, in addition to himself.

The 'killer' reputation continues. :confused2:

That's awful!
I hate hearing that.
I guess this comes down to inexperience (not enough seat time on any bike) and lack of respect for the machine he's riding.
My son's have been riding since they were 5 and around my Nova for 16 years.
My car is in the 575/600 hp range and they drive it all the time. They know what it's capable of if their rt foot is too heavy!
When I bought the Vmax I was a little nervous too as I've never ridden one before.
So UNTIL I learned it's pro's and con's, I took it easy and know when I can play and when I shouldn't.
Now that doesn't account for if a car pulls out in front of ya or going too fast when you shouldn't be.
And this is coming from a guy who's car will out accelerate his bike.

An entry I found on another website:
Originally Posted by Lassen Forge

And another post:

There was one of those around here, back when they first came out. A V-Max T-boned a car with 4 people in it. He killed all 4, in addition to himself.

The 'killer' reputation continues. :confused2:

I think its good many states require motorcycle safety courses now in order to ride a motorcycle. Heck maybe they all do now, I dont know. I do know there was a time when Mississippi didnt. I remember being amazed at how many riders I would talk to who had no idea about counter steering. They went from dirt bike to street bike without really understanding the concepts of counter steering and throttle control. Then I just think riding a motorcycle has a higher learning curve than driving a car. There's so many reactions a motorcycle ride has to make in a split second that are often completely opposite of what our instincts think we should do because of the physics of how a motorcycle behaves.

The motorcycle safety courses aren't full proof by any means. But at least they give them the starting tools to understand the physics of a motorcycle and how it behaves are unique compared to other vehicles they may be familiar with driving.

Here in Oklahoma you DONT have to take the MSF course, BUT.....if you do that counts as your driving portion, and written portion of the exam. Then you just take the course completion paperwork, and go the the DMV and pay (I believe 10 dollars) to have the motorcycle endorsement added to your license.

Had I picked up a Vmax in 85 when I first wanted one I may not have made it either. Age and wisdom sure make it easier to respect the machine. I do remember the stories about the Vmax buyer having a shorter life expectancy. Folklore I'm sure but the bike made enough of an impression on enough people to kick off stories like that.

Had I picked up a Vmax in 85 when I first wanted one I may not have made it either. Age and wisdom sure make it easier to respect the machine. I do remember the stories about the Vmax buyer having a shorter life expectancy. Folklore I'm sure but the bike made enough of an impression on enough people to kick off stories like that.

When I first started chatting with my present GF. She wasnt a GF then, but just someone that I enjoyed chatting with, and I had mentioned that I was looking at buying a Vmax. She told me that she also used to have one (which gave us more to chat about), and one of the things that she IMPRESSED on me, was the first time that I DID NOT respect this bike, it would kill me.

It her terms, it is a "proper" motorcycle (that likes to stretch arms), but it is a killer when I dont respect it. Ive never forgotten it.

My son learned to ride on Godzilla. I warned him that the bike can outrun his reaction time.. He got onto a long straight road and ran it up into the boost. Scared the crap out of himself, but he did it fight. Found out what the bike is capable of on a straight road, not leaned over in a curve.

He took a Gen2 for a test ride at Thunder a few years ago. He came back smiling, but did say that the bike was sick.

Licensing in the US is a joke. European countries almost all have a graduated licensing program, and much more intensive requirements before allowing a "unlimited" bike license. You can't just duck-walk a Rebel through a figure-eight big enough to park a tractor trailer in and get a pass to hop on any bike you want.

I'm probably one of the few that got their Max in 85. Mine actually an 86 model in 85. They sold my purple 85 from under me ! I pushed that bike as far as my limits took me and got scared just a handful of times and mostly while rolling with the sportbikes. To this day I know when I need to adjust my VBoost or carbs synched. You can just feel it when it isn't ripping like it should. Hell, people get killed on 250s so it all boils down to common sense and some luck. So maintain your bikes safe and have fun !

I'm probably one of the few that got their Max in 85. Mine actually an 86 model in 85. They sold my purple 85 from under me ! I pushed that bike as far as my limits took me and got scared just a handful of times and mostly while rolling with the sportbikes. To this day I know when I need to adjust my VBoost or carbs synched. You can just feel it when it isn't ripping like it should. Hell, people get killed on 250s so it all boils down to common sense and some luck. So maintain your bikes safe and have fun !

I was one of the lucky ones to have bought an '85 in 1985 and have had 8 so far-I have done all my own work except for some custom ordered parts.:clapping:

I'm probably one of the few to have sat on an 85 when I wasn't even 1 year old. Lol

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Licensing in the US is a joke. QUOTE]

I agree with that.

I took the BRC motorcycle course through MSF. It was offered for free, through the Commonwealth of PA.

Everyone in the class left with a license.

During class, I noted MULTIPLE students that hadn't a clue on how to ride a motorcycle. They couldn't coordinate their hands and feet. They got confused on which lever was the clutch, and which was the front brake. They couldn't accelerate from a stop with and fluidity.

I will say it was entertaining watch some of these folks attempt to come to a stop and stall, or pull in a clutch and no breaks and try to stop with their feet. Or, have their feet hanging off the pegs for 30 yards before the get to the stop.

I believe I told the story here before about the visitors to our class. It was a married couple. Husband and wife with matching Harleys. One of the instructors went over to greet them as the other stood back and told us that the wife had completed the course last year and now they ride together.

They were maybe 60 yards away from us chatting and the wife just fell over. She picked the bike up and fell while trying to do it. The instructor helped here pick it up the second time. She got on the bike, collected herself for a few seconds and toppled again. The husband was berating here the entire time... The third time, he helped her pick it up. They sat for a few minutes and then were on their way.

I said to the instructor as he returned "She passed the class??"

Wow, that's a scary story! That woman had no right to be on a bike, sounds like she never should have passed that class. What about her longevity, falling in traffic and some twit on the cellphone, texting or talking, runs over the top of her?

I took the Experienced Rider class, and it was a good way to spend the time, fun to see what others did in the drills.

Years ago I was attending a shop event, and a woman on a Sportster which looked very new, was exiting as I entered the parking lot. The entrance to the parking lot was on a bit of a slope going down, so the woman would be going up as she exited. Then she would be at a stop sign to turn rt or left. Her husband/boyfriend was on a dresser, and was waiting for her at the stop sign. She timidly exited the parking lot, and tried to negotiate the uphill approach and right turn to the stop sign. She was able to make the turn out of the parking lot and to pull up to the stop sign, and then she toppled-over while stopped. I don't recall her being trapped under the bike, I think she rolled away from it as it fell sideways, probably a good thing for her as she could have snapped her leg under the bike if she tried to throw-out her leg to attempt not-falling. She was in one of those H-D spaghetti strap tops, so I'm sure she got some minor road rash. Other people ran over to her and helped he to get the bike upright. She was able to stand up ok, so I don't think she was hurt much, but I'd bet that she's probably had other spills. Man, what makes people think that they can safely operate heavy motorcycles without learning on something smaller first?

Licensing in the US is a joke. QUOTE]

I agree with that.

I took the BRC motorcycle course through MSF. It was offered for free, through the Commonwealth of PA.

Everyone in the class left with a license.

During class, I noted MULTIPLE students that hadn't a clue on how to ride a motorcycle. They couldn't coordinate their hands and feet. They got confused on which lever was the clutch, and which was the front brake. They couldn't accelerate from a stop with and fluidity.

I will say it was entertaining watch some of these folks attempt to come to a stop and stall, or pull in a clutch and no breaks and try to stop with their feet. Or, have their feet hanging off the pegs for 30 yards before the get to the stop.

I believe I told the story here before about the visitors to our class. It was a married couple. Husband and wife with matching Harleys. One of the instructors went over to greet them as the other stood back and told us that the wife had completed the course last year and now they ride together.

They were maybe 60 yards away from us chatting and the wife just fell over. She picked the bike up and fell while trying to do it. The instructor helped here pick it up the second time. She got on the bike, collected herself for a few seconds and toppled again. The husband was berating here the entire time... The third time, he helped her pick it up. They sat for a few minutes and then were on their way.

I said to the instructor as he returned "She passed the class??"

The training I got for my M license was quite good. A practical course was set up and every rider had to skid once during the course. Plenty of crashes and dumps there too. They assumed you knew nothing about riding, and it was true of many there.

The MSF I took about 5 years ago was pretty good. Went up to the community college and had 2 days in class and 3 days on course with a Rebel. Everybody passed the written. Even if you didn't you did. 4 out of the twenty failed the maneuvers. One guy dropped the bike on the accelerate-to-2nd and stop in X amount of feet. Another guy didn't even attempt the swerve. Just rolled straight through, cones everywhere. The one girl got too many points, her demise was the right turn obstruction avoid. She went left and didn't stop...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First day of the MSF course I took they did the introductions of everyone. There was a guy there who was taking the course because he and his wife just got one of those loaded Harley trikes for his 60th birthday. The MSF course had little 250s for the students to use. First part was the "duck walk". Instructor was good and made sure folks understood about using the clutch. First shot at the duck walk and the guy with Harley trike popped the clutch and panicked but he wouldnt let go of the bike and wouldnt pull in the clutch even with everyone screaming CLUTCH! the little 250 drug him across the parking lot and crashed him into the trailer the student bikes were brought in. He suffered some pretty severe injuries including a nasty compound fracture in one of his legs.

Day 2: Another accident but not nearly as bad and another student kept stalling his bike -- not kidding at least 100 times.

By Day 3 it was just two of us left out of 8.

Wow, that was a no-skills group! People who cannot perform competently don't belong on the road. Sounds like they actually did what they're supposed to do in that training, weeding them out.

The people will whine, "how am I gonna get experience if I don't get my license?"

I am a firm believer in learning on the dirt before you try for an asphalt license. You can learn on a 100 cc bike, and learn fundamentals of clutch operation, marginal traction, skidding/braking, approach/avoidance of objects, and basic equipment evaluation prior to a ride. Also, the use of protective gear, and why it's important.

There are fewer places to ride offroad today than when I got my first dirt-capable bike, almost 50 years-ago. That makes it harder, also, most people don't have pickups for transporting a dirtbike. Still, I think that setting up a dirt riding program for novices would help them to learn more-quickly, and then help them to transition to street riding.

First day of the MSF course I took they did the introductions of everyone. There was a guy there who was taking the course because he and his wife just got one of those loaded Harley trikes for his 60th birthday. The MSF course had little 250s for the students to use. First part was the "duck walk". Instructor was good and made sure folks understood about using the clutch. First shot at the duck walk and the guy with Harley trike popped the clutch and panicked but he wouldnt let go of the bike and wouldnt pull in the clutch even with everyone screaming CLUTCH! the little 250 drug him across the parking lot and crashed him into the trailer the student bikes were brought in. He suffered some pretty severe injuries including a nasty compound fracture in one of his legs.

Day 2: Another accident but not nearly as bad and another student kept stalling his bike -- not kidding at least 100 times.

By Day 3 it was just two of us left out of 8.

Started on a 75 Kawasaki 100 endure in the dirt. Once I learned, I titled it and rode it back and forth to school. (Meanwhile I started racing motocross) and went from the little Kawasaki to a titan 500 Suzuki two stroke I dug out of my neighbors back yard. From there I eventually ended up with a 90 gsxr1100 and the an xs1100. Eventually ended up at the max. I think starting out small and OFF road is what helped me progress and become a better rider. Although I have riden about every type of bike and owned many fix and flips, I do truly like to familiarize myself with MY bikes and learn how they act. I can ride anything, but I could really pilot that gixxer.

Latest posts

Back