v boost erratic in operation

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diddly squat

Reaction score
some days my vboost works and others, it doesn't.
i cleaned all my connections and i still have this problem.

is it possible the controller box might have an internal short that would cause this to happen?

i noticed that when i turn the key, the initializing sound only has 2 sounds, as opposed the the three i seem to remember.
i looked under the scoop and the boost linkage is moving when i turn the key, and seems free when i move it w/a long screwdriver. just seems like the initializing isn't complete like i remember it. :bang head:

It's common for the solder connections in the black control box to get "loose" try wiggling the wires and or squeezing the box. if that makes it work then you might want to heat up and remelt the solder to get a good contact again. This will require you to strip off some of the sealant.

Sean

+1 one to what Sean said - it sounds like dry joints in the controller box. The three sounds should be 1 - fully open valves, 2 - fully close, 3 - take up boost cable slack.

By what you said I think the initializing sequence is incomplete, pointing at the controller.

well, i noticed the lid was loose on the controller box, so i tie wrapped it tight and then got all three sounds, although the last one sounds kind of sluggish.
still no vboost.

ya the third sound is shorter than the first two - just a small movement of the cam as it takes up cable slack.

It's obviously initializing fine.. How are you telling it's not kicking in? Watching it over 6k rpm on stand on neutral, or a feel thing riding?

You most prolly need to open that controller box and refresh the soldering..

i'm going by feel as i'm riding.
inside the box is a see-through yellow substance that everything is encased in.
how do i get to the soldered part, or is that visible underneath the base of the box if i pry the inner guts out of the box bottom?

As Sean said, you will need to strip off some of that sealant to get to the connections. Another easier way would be to try replacing the box first - there may be one going cheap on eBay or someone might have one here (Kyle's breaking an '05 - sure he has it so ask him).

You should also check if it's working with the bike in neutral on the center stand - rev it quickly (after warming it up) to above 6k, and if you remove the carb 'H' cover on either side you should be able to see (with a flashlight if needed) the boost cable actuating the valves.

so that is the sealant he was talking about, ok.

may just look for another box.

thanks for all your help, bud!

Latest posts

Back