Value of a 1997 ?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

invalidsession

Reaction score
Hey guys. I've been offered a 1997 VMax. Under 12k showing. A couple of cosmetic modifications and a 4/2 Kerker exhaust. The bike is nice but as yet unridden. What's a ballpark on value ? I paid $3500 last year for an 07 with 15k. Thoughts would be appreciated

Prices have gone up.. Maybe $4k to $4.5k.

Depends on major issues (2nd gear) and how much brunt rubber is stuck under the rear fender.

Opinions, like mileage, varies.

Prices have gone up.. Maybe $4k to $4.5k.

Depends on major issues (2nd gear) and how much brunt rubber is stuck under the rear fender.

Opinions, like mileage, varies.
Second gear? ya mean the part where ya have to crack it open and put a washer/shim thingy in the transmission to make it behave?

I suspect the value isn't much different from your '07 price. It's all-about the condition. If it's clean, runs well, doesn't jump-out of 2nd gear on hard acceleration, and needs no battery, no tires, no brake pads, nothing but gasoline, yes, it's worth $3500. On the other hand if it needs all those things, has crash damage, and yes, it jumps out of 2nd gear, I wouldn't give you $1,000 for it.

The '85-'89 had the analog 2 head ignition pickup, '85-'92 had the small front brake rotors, smaller dia downtubes, sliders and triple tree, and 2-piston calipers. After that, there wasn't much in the bike that was different, so a '97 has almost the same equipment as an '07. Yes there were a few minor changes, but essentially the same bike.

A motivated seller who wants to get his money out of it probably would offer something close to that on a negotiation. If he comes down from $3500 to $3K and you come up from $2750 to $3K I think that would be okay for the two of you. Happy Hunting good luck.

I will concur, that prices for it seems, all bikes have jumped 30 to 50% in the "asking" prices. I don't know if this is a majority of wishful thinking, overall inflation, rises in fuel prices? It seems that prices for parts and shipping has jumped as well. I'm no economist but I do watch the used bike market pretty close.
I am seeing the VMAX come in at 4500 to 7000 now depending on condition and location but I also see those bikes stay on the market for long times. Harleys seem to sell the fastest.

I will concur, that prices for it seems, all bikes have jumped 30 to 50% in the "asking" prices. I don't know if this is a majority of wishful thinking, overall inflation, rises in fuel prices? It seems that prices for parts and shipping has jumped as well. I'm no economist but I do watch the used bike market pretty close.
I am seeing the VMAX come in at 4500 to 7000 now depending on condition and location but I also see those bikes stay on the market for long times. Harleys seem to sell the fastest.
I Forget Where You Are?
Phoenix?

Harleys ALWAYS sell quicker and better good bikes or no, they have name recognition. VMax is a great bike, but in the end they are still yamahas, which overall I believe to be a better made machine (as the old ad used to say) doesnt necessairily translate to the used market

I suspect the value isn't much different from your '07 price. It's all-about the condition. If it's clean, runs well, doesn't jump-out of 2nd gear on hard acceleration, and needs no battery, no tires, no brake pads, nothing but gasoline, yes, it's worth $3500. On the other hand if it needs all those things, has crash damage, and yes, it jumps out of 2nd gear, I wouldn't give you $1,000 for it.

The '85-'89 had the analog 2 head ignition pickup, '85-'92 had the small front brake rotors, smaller dia downtubes, sliders and triple tree, and 2-piston calipers. After that, there wasn't much in the bike that was different, so a '97 has almost the same equipment as an '07. Yes there were a few minor changes, but essentially the same bike.
Vmax in the uk, good spec going 4k plus and going up quickly

Mine was $3200 with 17,000 miles. Only thing previous owner did was install cobra exhaust tips. I think I've had it about 4 years now.

Mine was $3200 with 17,000 miles. Only thing previous owner did was install cobra exhaust tips. I think I've had it about 4 years now.
If you want to have an oem level of engine performance, remember that by installing a standard Yamaha megaphone exhaust you will gain close to 20 horsepower over what a cobra 4 into 4 will give you. It has been shown time and again that adding an aftermarket exhaust to the OEM exhaust pipes doesn't add power and in the case of the 4 into 4 cobra it will cost you probably 15 rear-wheel horsepower. However some people prefer the looks of the Cobra so if that's what motivates you enjoy the ride.

Last edited:
If you want to have an oem level of engine performance, remember that by installing a standard Yamaha megaphone exhaust you will gain close to 20 horsepower over what a cobra 4 into 4 will give you. It has been shown time and again that adding an aftermarket exhaust to the OEM exhaust pipes doesn't add power and in the case of the 4 into 4 cobra it will cost you probably 15 rear-wheel horsepower. However some people prefer the looks of the Cobra so if that's what motivates you enjoy the ride.
I didn't like the sound of the Cobra's. I have Delkevic mufflers on it now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back