VMAX DISCONTINUED WORLD WIDE AFTER 35 YEAR PRODUCTION RUN - VMAX MEMORIAL THREAD

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattness

Reaction score
"With deep consideration of evolving global market trends and regulations that limit production volumes on certain models, the following Yamaha models will be discontinued after model year 2020:
YZF-R6
VMAX
WR250R
SMAX

Yamaha understand the iconic history of these models. Regarding the future, Yamaha is continuously looking at new ideas and concepts to support and expand the market, as well as enhance our customer's experiences.

Customers have been directed to contact their local Yamaha dealer on the remaining model year 2020 availability of these discontinued models."

Motorcycle.com is what pops up when typed in Google.

Seeing how much cbx1000 and z1 sell for, I wonder if it is a good investment?? I've got storage for about 4 of them.
Screenshot_20201118-140051.png

hmm looks like I'm too late; just had a look at Yamaha Europe and 2 dealers and no mention of Vmax.

We've heard this on and off for many years...hopefully this is more of the same...but who knows...
I've never seen it in print before. Even when I was buying a Vmax in July of 2007, I was wondering whether or not to wait for the 2008 or go ahead and get a 2007 because there was no official word of any kind what was going to happen.

Climate change extremist killed the machine, and soon they will kill all performance vehicles. The MT10 SP is a great alternative although chain driven and has a lousy seat and higher off the ground. Of course with end of production comes harder to get spare parts, tech support, and after market parts,,,and that only gets worse as time goes on.

hmm looks like I'm too late; just had a look at Yamaha Europe and 2 dealers and no mention of Vmax.

It hasn't bee available in Europe for several years because it did not meet their new emissions standards.

Climate change extremist killed the machine, and soon they will kill all performance vehicles. The MT10 SP is a great alternative although chain driven and has a lousy seat and higher off the ground. Of course with end of production comes harder to get spare parts, tech support, and after market parts,,,and that only gets worse as time goes on.

I can agree with your statement 100% and laugh at it at the same time. Here is why....The 1981-1983 Yamaha Virago.....Uses Hitachi carbs. When I got the bike, the first winter I had the bike, the carbs cracked. Thats when I started doing serious research about the carbs. In 1984, Yamaha went to Mikuni for the Virago line up. In 1985.....besides the introduction of the greatest bike ever to come from Yamaha, Hitachi stopped making parts for the carbs. 2 years after the end of the Gen 1 Virago....you pretty much were pooched from getting new parts for the carbs. Today...its nearly impossible to find good carb bodies. CV diaphragms are more valuable than the most precious metals and gems on earth. Last time I saw a diaphragm(1.....bike normally needs 2) up for sale, it was a couple hundred dollars. This is the reason why my Virago does not run at the moment. 38 year old carb with 100K on it, that rubber is holier than the pope on Easter Sunday.

There is a website here that queries the govenrment database to return the number of vechicles given the make/model.
There are about 210 x Vmax 1700 so quite rare; (I've never seen one on the road) and about 700 x Vmax 1200.

Let's all come up with a pact that we aren't gonna modify our gen 2s anymore.
We've gotta make these parts last

I can agree with your statement 100% and laugh at it at the same time. Here is why....The 1981-1983 Yamaha Virago.....Uses Hitachi carbs. When I got the bike, the first winter I had the bike, the carbs cracked. Thats when I started doing serious research about the carbs. In 1984, Yamaha went to Mikuni for the Virago line up. In 1985.....besides the introduction of the greatest bike ever to come from Yamaha, Hitachi stopped making parts for the carbs. 2 years after the end of the Gen 1 Virago....you pretty much were pooched from getting new parts for the carbs. Today...its nearly impossible to find good carb bodies. CV diaphragms are more valuable than the most precious metals and gems on earth. Last time I saw a diaphragm(1.....bike normally needs 2) up for sale, it was a couple hundred dollars. This is the reason why my Virago does not run at the moment. 38 year old carb with 100K on it, that rubber is holier than the pope on Easter Sunday.
You mean like these? I have these for sale.
Yamaha Virago carbs.01.jpgYamaha Virago carbs.02.jpgYamaha Virago carbs.03.jpgYamaha Virago carbs.04.jpg

Looks like the 10 vmax 1700 gen 2 crate motors I own are going up in value. They are complete with ECU and available.

This is why I just bought my 2020 on September 28 (along with a 2020 ZX-14R, which could be next on the chopping block).

Its a good thing that I have extra parts for the 2011 on the shelf. I wonder If the spare Catalytic converter will be worth anything? LOL

Back