vmoa?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mikemax04 said:
It doesn't seem like a member friendly organization. They have their chain of officers, but each individual has to do his own organizing. If you don't buy a lot of aftermarket parts from the vendors they have listed, there is little need to be a member. The lurking mode works best on their lists and asking questions like what oil brand to use, how much air pressure to run in the tires, what's the best sounding exhaust system out there and so on. There are many good guys that hardly ever post for fear of being laughed at by a few. I think there are almost as many members quitting as there are joining the VMOA.

I think in some aspects you are right about the usefullness of being a member or being on any of thier boards.
The Houston board on the other hand has allowed me to meet maybe 35-40 other Vmax riders that I would otherwise never have met. We have tech days, a few rides now and then and best of all a fall and spring rally/ride to the Texas Hill Country which is like Texas version of the Dragons Tail. I have made a lot of friends through the organization, and trying to find friends to ride with around Houston that don't ride slow harleys is pretty dang hard.

I haven't really spent anytime on any other of the boards so I can't really relate to the issues y'all are discussing in that regards, Nor have I ever been to any of the really big Northeastern events and prolly never will.

Maybe it's Just a southern thing in regards to the attitudes:cheers00:

KRL0215 said:
I agree completely. That is one of the reasons why this site started...to give Vmax owners a real forum for discussions. I have personally posted links and descriptions of this forum on the Yahoo groups and almost none of the guys come over. So say its not dial up friendly and others say its not as easy. I think many of them just dont want to feel like they are starting over at a new place and thus losing any power or influence they have over the current set-up.

And still others are affraid to change anything so they stick with that outdated message board.

Well I'm a noob, and I have been in the yahoochats for a few months now. And I agree this forum is alot better than having to deal with email forums.
Mind if I stick around here for awhile?
I just set up my nifty new profile.

Here's an idea.
Why not ask Steve Jasse, to place a link to this forum on the VMOA homepage, like he has for the yahootech/chat groups?
I would love to have found this site earlier than I did.
I most likely would have picked this site for info over the yahoo. Simply because it's organized better. And now that I've been in here for a day or two, I have not seen any of the petty bickering that goes on in yahoo. And I like that it's not allowed in here. I joined the VMOA to learn about my Baby, not listen to people complain about and argue with other people.
I printed out a few cards and I keep them on my bike for when I run into other VMax owners that aren't aware of the VMOA. I had the v-max.com address on them as well as the yahootech on the cards, but I'm changing the cards to have v-max.com and vmaxforum.net on them.

:rockon00:

82ndCowboy said:
Here's an idea.
Why not ask Steve Jasse, to place a link to this forum on the VMOA homepage, like he has for the yahootech/chat groups?
I would love to have found this site earlier than I did.
I most likely would have picked this site for info over the yahoo. Simply because it's organized better. And now that I've been in here for a day or two, I have not seen any of the petty bickering that goes on in yahoo. And I like that it's not allowed in here. I joined the VMOA to learn about my Baby, not listen to people complain about and argue with other people.
I printed out a few cards and I keep them on my bike for when I run into other VMax owners that aren't aware of the VMOA. I had the v-max.com address on them as well as the yahootech on the cards, but I'm changing the cards to have v-max.com and vmaxforum.net on them.

:rockon00:
That's a great idea Cowboy. U the MAN! Since it was your idea in the first place, we elect you to go on one of the lists and suggest it to all the members of the VMOA gang. Let us know how receptive they were to this idea.

I wouldn't even bring it up on the vmoachat or vmoatech lists since they're not sponsered by the VMOA. I'd either go straight to Steve Jasse or I can post a message to the VMOA directors list. Steve Jasse's email is on www.v-max.com.

maleko89 said:
I wouldn't even bring it up on the vmoachat or vmoatech lists since they're not sponsered by the VMOA. I'd either go straight to Steve Jasse or I can post a message to the VMOA directors list. Steve Jasse's email is on www.v-max.com.
I was joking Mark. No way in hell will they ever change what they have now. It's not in some members interest to have a democratic forum. The attitude of "if you don't like it here, go somewhere else" is in no way a sign that the members have ANY control or say in the club they are sponsoring. Dictatorship is on the way out and people want to have a say in what they put their money in. There is only one reason the VMOA and the Yahoo chat/tech lists are not considered as one entity, and that is CONTROL. No way could any member suggest something and then have the administrator go along with it like Buster does. I could go on, but unless others can see through the fog, it matters little. My membership is due to expire soon and like so many others before me, move on to greener pastures where comradery is not just for those in the small pack of control freaks. There are two sides to every disagreement and that is a MUST HAVE in a democratic society. I have no need to lead and surely don't want to be led. There are those that can think for themselves when more than one viewpoint is presented.

I agree. My membership is up in January and Im not renewing. Ive heard from the New England regional director that the VMOA is working on a new website though.

There's actually two websites. We'll soon be voting on which design we're going with.

It's not so much the websites as it is some of the attitudes on there. The Yahoo lists are crude and disorganized with not much chance of finding anything in the archives, but that is no big deal. As long as the same handful of members have control, nothing will change. They are the masters (techies) that know all about the Max. After 22 years, they still haven't figured out why the carbs give us so much trouble and on what it lies. Sea foam, carb spray, some prayers, but no idea what needs to be done to make them less fussy. I don't know either and don't claim to be a technician on the Max, but a good carb man would definitely know why and what to change. Old man Don is the smartest they have and gets a lot of criticism from those he taught. It's a wonder he puts up with them and hasn't moved on himself. There's a lot of good info to be had on the old Max, but what's going to happen when the new FI Max appears?

Mike, the yahoo groups will never go away but it sounds like there will be tech/chat lists on the new website...I'll believe it when I see it. Even Yamaha doesn't really know why the stock carbs are so finnicky.....maybe Mr. Mikuni knows. I just know I rarely have problems once they're dialed in...mainly because I ride the bike almost everyday.

What's going to happen when EFI comes out if ever? People will start to bitch about servicing inverted forks. :)

maleko89 said:
There's actually two websites. We'll soon be voting on which design we're going with.

Oh, they're already done? That would explain why Kelvin didn't contact me after he emailed me.

turbostang said:
How long does it take to get a membership # once you have paid the fees? I am almost a week now and have heard nothing.

I was just about to ask that same question, I guess my few days isn't so bad then....

Last edited:
it can take a few weeks. Doesnt matter for me anymore and I just traded the max in.

KRL0215 said:
it can take a few weeks. Doesnt matter for me anymore and I just traded the max in.

Trader (read traitor) :red ass: Just messing with ya.

maleko89 said:

This is exactly what I had in mind.
I'll be glad to send Steve Jasse an email this weekend when I get some time.
It's officially on my to do list.

turbostang said:
How long does it take to get a membership # once you have paid the fees? I am almost a week now and have heard nothing.

I got an email confirmation after about 10 days, then I got my member packet about 4 weeks after.

Latest posts

Back