Water Pump Replacement Questions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NM_MAX

Reaction score
A few days ago when I was changing the oil on my bike I noticed that there was a small amount of coolant that had leaked out from the drain plug on the water pump housing. The plug is tight and the coolant seems to be weeping after the engine has gotten nice and warm.

I'm guessing that the pump is due for a replacement. I was wondering if someone could tell me how difficult a job this is. I have basic mechanical skills, I was able to replace the pump and radiator on my ford ranger. I am wondering how this would compare in terms of difficulty.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

If you are able to read a manual and have basic mechanical skills, you can rebuild the waterpump.

If you don't have a manual, go to links icon above and search vmaxoutlaw - they have a service manual you can download, buy the waterpump seal kit and you're all set.

Good Luck

:cheers: Mike

If you are able to replace the waterpump on your ford ranger you are more than capable of handling it on a VMAX.
Its not that big of deal to replace the waterpump. Lookl at what bolts hold it be organized on how you lay parts you take off, and reverse the procedure with the new water pump.
You may want to download the service manual at OUTLAWVMAX.COM

Of course there is a legal copy of the manual for viewing on the VMOA site too.

Sean

NM Max, make sure you ordered the water pump gasket and the cooling tube o-rings (2). I just went through the same thing two months ago. Bought the assembly from Bike Bandit. The bike is metric, so you'll need metric hex head sockets to put on a torque wrench. You do have to drain the coolant fluid and the oil. Make sure you turn the valve on the radiator hose to close. Last piece of advice, use permatex black gasket maker. I didn't the first time and the damn thing leaked. I had to order another gasket and used the permatex and it hasn't leaked since. Keep the old assembly for a future rebuild and replacement. Oh yeah, beer helps also. :cheers:

Latest posts

Back