weight

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJ RJ RJ

Reaction score
guys i have researched this again and again as well as read everything i could on Busa performance, zx14 performance (weight, dimensions, wheelbase, gearing, power etc) vrs the max.

I gotta say all i can see here is a weight issue and nothing more.

(In fact...i still wonder where all that weight is coming from... anyway..)

i will be eagerly waiting to see in the coming months what a full exhaust system weighs and other takeoffs....

At some point someone will run a quarter with a slick too or at least better rubber than the battleaxe.....

Down the road...its gonna be a lot closer , me thinks...

(In fact...i still wonder where all that weight is coming from... anyway..)

i will be eagerly waiting to see in the coming months what a full exhaust system weighs and other takeoffs....

At some point someone will run a quarter with a slick too or at least better rubber than the battleaxe.....

Down the road...its gonna be a lot closer , me thinks...

I am no engineer, but I'm guessing the weight is: #1, driveshaft; #2, engine block; #3 exhaust; #4 ABS. Cosmetic aluminum, etc fits in there somewhere. I think a V-four needs more metal than an inline of the same size.

I agree it will be much closer with some mods, hopefully just a slick tire, but once you modify the Vmax I think you need to compare it a modified ZX14, then it gets complicated.

So far, only about 18 miles and I'm happy. It requires little or no spool-up so it will casually give the screamers a run for their money. It's sedate enough to haul ass without begging for tickets, too. It does haul ass.

I got a real close up look, laying on my belly, at the new Vmax exhaust...

It has a "collector box" underneat just like the old one does, but to me it looks no where near as heavy as the huge collector on the gen 1.

The cans themselves I bet are not as heavy as they look....

I trimmed 20 lbs off my gen 1 with a different exhaust...

At 680 lbs wet I bet the Gen 2 won't go under 640-635 lbs wet with the low fuel indicator showing unless you started pulling stuff off that would change the "Look" of the bike.......

I do think a new exhaust will put in the 9's tho just on the 15-20 lbs weight savings alone......

The two side engine hangers and front engine hanger are made of heavy cast steel. Evidently yamaha tried to use alloy for these hangers but where unable to attain the necessary rigidity. Its carrying larger radiator and coolant capacity and more engine oil. The Front fork tubes must be much heavier also.

As far as I'm concerned, the weight is perfect. I like the extra beef on rough roughs. I am not a cornering nutcase like some of u.

There is one over-riding weight factor which I hope to be the case. The entire bike may be 10-20% overbuilt, with a greater reliability and lifespan. I have trouble believing that all of the displays, etc, will last that long, but I hope the mechanics are overbuilt to that degree. It would allow engine mods that don't break the bike, though the compression ratio makes me wonder whether that is possible.

I am no engineer, but I'm guessing the weight is: #1, driveshaft; #2, engine block; #3 exhaust; #4 ABS. Cosmetic aluminum, etc fits in there somewhere. I think a V-four needs more metal than an inline of the same size.

I agree it will be much closer with some mods, hopefully just a slick tire, but once you modify the Vmax I think you need to compare it a modified ZX14, then it gets complicated.

So far, only about 18 miles and I'm happy. It requires little or no spool-up so it will casually give the screamers a run for their money. It's sedate enough to haul ass without begging for tickets, too. It does haul ass.

Latest posts

Back