Whatcha Got, What'd you have and Whatcha working On....?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patate657

Brownsville, tx
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let's start a new Thread. I like the stuff I see being done here. I like to see hands on Projects. Not only are they nice to look at, but gives people ideas. Thumb's up for 'gentsvmax' ride. 👍 Saw it the other day, Beautiful!
Let me start the ball rolling with my latest project, that's almost done. Just waiting on better looking complete exhaust, side covers and handle bars.

This project I call Da Boss and Da Lil' Boss
DSC09965 (3).JPG

I like purple, the PPG Mystic flip-flop color-shifting paint they used on the SN-95 Mustangs is neat stuff. They only used it for a couple years.

Mustang Mystic paint 1996.jpg

Last edited:
Re flip paint. Used to see it on nissans back in the mid 90s, not seen one for years.

I remember reading about LCD based paint that changed colour with temperature, never saw that used, probably because it was eye wateringly expensive.

When Ford used the Mystic paint on the Mustang, if you had bodywork to do, you could only buy enough from PPG to make the repair on whatever was damaged. You couldn't buy enough to paint another vehicle. Ford had an exclusive deal with PPG to be the only manufacturer using it during the duration of the agreement. GM and Chrysler had to wait.

I've owned some small bikes along the way, and still have some today. I have two Superhawks (attach. #4, example of a Superhawk, not my personal bike in the pic, but the same model) awaiting attention, a name familiar to those of you at SS age, and they are not the V-twin 1000cc sporbikes. There was a time, this was the largest displacement motorcycle Honda built, until the arrival of the 'turtle-tank' CB450 parallel-twin with the torsion-bar springs for valve actuation (pic of the Japanese-market instrument nacelle, w/the distinctive 'paired' tachometer and speedometer needles, and the odometer/speedo in kilometers, and another pic of the Japan-market CB450 w/low bars and small signals, and devoid of side plate markings), in Japan these were used for police traffic enforcement. When the CB450 was released in England, in 1965 the racing authorities soon 'outlawed' the CB450, because it was so-far ahead technologically-speaking, of the U.K. marketplace domestic products of similar, or larger-displacement. In the 1960's, a 450/500 cc bike was pretty-close to being a 'big-bike,' maybe not as-big as the mighty Ironhead Sportster, a screaming 883cc V-twin that was to be feared in any two-wheeled showdown of the day. The Triumph Daytona 500 won the Daytona 200 race twice (1966, 1967), when the rules allowed 750cc side-valve engines and 500cc OHV engines, which favored bikes like the side-valve H-D KRTT, with its larger displacement, which actually beat the OHV-engine Triumphs, before the arrival of the mighty Honda SOHC 750-4, and before Triumph and BSA released bikes (Trident and Rocket III, respectively) that had essentially the same engine, with minor changes. Indeed, Triumph released probably the first 'chopper-styled' production motorcycle, the famous Hurricane. Craig Vetter, he of the fairings company, made the prototype, under contract with Triumph USA, which acted independently of Triumph (NVT Ltd, U.K.) to commission its construction. Once it was done, (interestingly, it used the BSA 750cc triple cyl engine, instead of the Triumph Trident engine; it just looked 'right' with its cylinders canted forward 15 degrees, instead of the Trident's straight-up, vertical orientation for the cylinders) Triumph USA sent it to the U.K., and it was approved for production. Unfortunately it was about 50% more-expensive than a Triumph twin of the same time, and they were marketed for a brief time. With its small gas tank, it was a 'TT' bike (tavern-to-tavern) and the riding position put the rider into the airflow, a tiring 'hang-on' position not conducive to extended stays in the saddle, which the small gas tank didn't allow, anyway.
Triumph TRX 75 Harricane (motorcyclespecs.co.za)

I had a Kawasaki CSR305, another parallel twin which like the 250cc/450cc Rebels, was sized for a younger, lighter-weight rider, and not-really any sort of enjoyment on an expressway, where they had no-business being.

One smaller bike I did enjoy, was a KZ440 which was a cut-above the standard small-displacement bike. It was belt drive, and disc brake, 6 speeds, transistorized ignition, mag wheels, it really was a premium bike. I bought it from the original owner, and it bore the selling dealership's decal (in MO) on the chrome rear fender, the front one was chrome too, definitely a premium bike. It still had the toolkit, also. It needed a new advance mechanism (mechanical advance, transistorized ignition, things were slowly-changing) and after the usual, dead bike servicing (new battery, rebuild/clean the disc front brake system the carburetors, gas filter, replace the pleated paper air filter, lube everything), it ran fine. It was a flip. I heard from my friend who sold it for me, that the new owner soon wrecked it on Miami Beach. The pic is not my bike, but it's the same model. I happen to like the gas tank lines, I've seen it used in custom bikes.

The last pic is of a rare early-1970's Honda factory paint job, this on a CL350 (also available for the CL450) and it was named the 'Flying Dragon.' They came in a variety of colors, and it was a seldom-seen treatment, available as a dealer-installed accessory. Sets came in four colors: gold/purple, silver/purple, green/purple and blue/dark blue. Here's some additional info on the Flying Dragon paint codes and numbers:

The part numbers follow Honda convention, with each set of digits having specific meaning. For example, the 1973 CL350 sets all utilize the same base part code, 06171-456-810. The first five digits represent the “function area” of the bike, in this case the fuel tank. The second three digits represent the model fitment, 1973 CL350 K5. The final three digits represent the Flying Dragon option. For a 1973 CL450, the second three digits are 347 (the official Honda model code for a 1973 CL450 K5), with the rest the same. Finally, each color combination has its own unique two-letter designation: SM (gold metal flake base), SN (silver metal flake base), SP (green base) and ST (blue base). Confirmed set part numbers are as follows:

1972-1973 CL350:
06171-456-810SM: Gold/purple
06171-456-810SN: Silver/purple
06171-456-810SP: Green/purple
06171-456-810ST: Blue/dark blue

1972-1973 CL450:
06171-347-810SM: Gold/purple
06171-347-810SN: Silver/purple
06171-347-810SP: Green/purple
06171-347-810ST: Blue/dark blue

The technique was probably very-similar to the hydro-dip of today, except the vintage parts are nearly 50 years-old, and we all know what usually happens to desirable vintage bike parts' values. "Mr. Customer you have-to pay!" 🤔:oops:😖

Kawasaki 1982 KZ440G1.pngHonda CB450 1965 Japan market instrument.jpgHonda CB450 1965.jpgHonda 305 cc Superhawk.jpgHonda ad 1961.02.jpgHonda Flying Dragon optional factory paint CB350.png

The last pic is a pic of my '82 KZ440G1 Sport. Though the LTD's outsold the standard and the G1 Sport, the G1 Sport is a better highway bike. This is the bike, 'as-purchased/non-running.' It had compression, it would turn-over on the starter, and had oil in the sight-glass, no crash-damage evident, and 8K miles on the odometer. The headlight/taillight and turn signals worked, despite the 'lazy' right-rear turn signal laying-down on the job.
Kawasaki KZ440G1 1982.jpg

Last edited:
Let's start a new Thread. I like the stuff I see being done here. I like to see hands on Projects. Not only are they nice to look at, but gives people ideas. Thumb's up for 'gentsvmax' ride. 👍 Saw it the other day, Beautiful!
Let me start the ball rolling with my latest project, that's almost done. Just waiting on better looking complete exhaust, side covers and handle bars.

This project I call Da Boss and Da Lil' Boss
View attachment 76985
Well Thank You Sir! As usual the beginning of spring brings out the "projects"
and "I'm gonna get that running this year" jobs for the guys I deal with here in Denver.
Among the latest are not one, not two, but 4 of those three wheeled ATC's that were deemed too dangerous and are the owner's new obsession.
These things are not cheap, some going for three times or more the original purchase price.
These four are all Honda's, a 250R two stroke, two are 350x's four stroke and a 200ATC also four stroke, aside from the latter of the litter they are all absolutely quick, fast and powerful Beasts!
That is a 71 Chang Jang BMW 750 sidecar there in the foreground, I just put the reverse gear set in....finally.
20210511_181418.jpg
Another spring project is a really clean 85 VMax belonging to a guy that followed me around in his G-Wagon on one of my jetting test runs.
I pulled into a Circle K to see whats up with him and he jumps out of the Benz
going crazy about my bike and that he's also got one that hasn't run since 1990, 1990 WOW!
That was last year, now last week she breathed her first breaths since being given up for dead cause of that little wire going to the starter solenoid,
yup, it got unplugged, he couldn't find it and gave up on her........all the lost time, what a shame.
I also went through the carbs, all new parts, a new spin-on oil filter mod, fresh oil and new tires, He is now a VERY happy local Vmaxer for me to cruise with.
IMG_08161.jpg20210509_120245.jpg20210509_120315.jpg
That poster is sales poster from a dealership here in Denver that was selling VMaxes new back in 85, way cool. Also shown is the G-wagon I mentioned and his Viper, nice toy box there.
patate657, yea da bosses are two, beautiful, clean machines there, which motor in that challenger?

6.4L, Cervini Ram Air setup and Wild Boar mufflers. Diablo predator Tune, Deleted resonators. 3" pipe all the way thru to 4" outlets. Barton Shifter for fun.:)
Motorcycle puller for the hurry-up days... 😜
DSC08374.JPG

Enjoy the sounds, the day when cars and bikes go electric is getting closer.

I envisage that one day it will only be possible to see a petrol engine car/bike at a rally, a bit like steam rallies (I guess you have them on your side?), but luckily not in my lifetime.

Working on my vMax today. Doing an exhaust swap. Not a Biggy. 'SO FAR!' Seems though like the oversized rear tire gets in the way now for everything. But easy to remove. Once I'm ready for a fuel tank swap, doesn't look like a big deal ether. I gotta give the Yamaha Engineers a double thumbs up. Seeing the way the exhaust is setup amazes me. I've decided to leave the secondary header pipes where they are and not mess with them. "THAT looks like a pain!' Anyway they look okay.
You think your bike's clean, then you start taking it apart.....:oops: Kinda like picking up a Lot Lizard in the Dark....

Attachments

• P5280002.JPG
    P5280002.JPG
    230.6 KB · Views: 12
  • P5280004.JPG
    P5280004.JPG
    257.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Back