Who has this 7 litre tank?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdfb42

Reaction score
Hi all, I am picking up my new to me Vmax this weekend and have read enough to know I want to make the tank larger immediately. I was wondering who all had the 7 litre tank from http://www.v-max-f-maerz.de/. (Part 754d).

I saw exactrep has a 6 litre for $1,275 and wh accessories has a 7 liter for $1,500.

The one I'm looking at comes in around $875.

Needless to say I want to save the $500 but haven't found anything yet (am I blind?) on people that have this one and their thoughts on install etc.

All thoughts and comments are welcome.

Thanks in advance

Thunder Manufacturing on their website advertises that they do custom tanks for a flat fee of $750.00. That sounds a lot more reasonable than some other prices I've seen.

Thunder Manufacturing on their website advertises that they do custom tanks for a flat fee of $750.00. That sounds a lot more reasonable than some other prices I've seen.

Really?! Any idea on any members that have experience using them?

Thanks!

There's another thread somewhere here where dash posted a link to their stuff I think. If I remember right, it was a pic of a bunch of different sport bike tanks. I bet if that company had a fake tank cover in hand they could start making them for us all.

The easiest way to get more gas is to call Tourtank. They're also not the same price as some of us paid for our whole bike...

I found a thread that listed the three I mentioned plus one for the new 1700s. But beyond that I haven't seen anything. And I haven't seen any comments or walk thrus on gen 1 gas tanks

If I'm not mistaken, Sean has a way to mod the stocker to hold more fuel. I believe that he cuts them in half and adds material to the middle and welds it back up. Couple that with a coat of Por15, and have a larger tank that will outlast the rest of the bike.

If I'm not mistaken, Sean has a way to mod the stocker to hold more fuel. I believe that he cuts them in half and adds material to the middle and welds it back up. Couple that with a coat of Por15, and have a larger tank that will outlast the rest of the bike.

I saw that on some random posts that is a few years old but he has no fuel tank section on his website. Wonder if he stopped or just did them so rare he doesn't list them

Sean's extended tank requires a 3 inch extended swingarm. There's just not space to expand the stock tank. I've been searching for alternatives for a while now. I'm going with a custom tourtank until I can get my extended arm.

There may be a way to make a 1st gen FZ1 tank fit. There are a number of aftermarket fake tanks that have a similar look.

Really?! Any idea on any members that have experience using them?

Thanks!

This is their page. A lot of the members of the 750ACE forums have dealt with these guys, and according to what I have heard, they do a lot more with tanks than just adding the pockets like shown on their site.
http://www.thundermfg.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=408
I would say give them a call, and see what they can do for you.

Sean's extended tank requires a 3 inch extended swingarm. There's just not space to expand the stock tank.

If I were to go this route, I would see if he could get even more capacity by going to a six inch over arm.

This is their page. A lot of the members of the 750ACE forums have dealt with these guys, and according to what I have heard, they do a lot more with tanks than just adding the pockets like shown on their site.

http://www.thundermfg.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=408

I would say give them a call, and see what they can do for you.

If I were to go this route, I would see if he could get even more capacity by going to a six inch over arm.

Thanks! Very much appreciated. I will be sure to share whatever I come back with in hopes to clear a few things up for everyone.

Here's the response I got from Joe at boxenstopp. Haven't heard back from thunder mfg yet

----- Original Message ----- From: "boxenstoppdaytona" <[email protected]>
To: "boxenstoppdaytona" <[email protected]>
Sent: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 10:57 AM
Subject: Re: Vmax 7 liter tank

HI Justin, sorry I forgotten to give you answare for your questions; both Gastanks will be connected by fuel lines and new Gastank have own Pedcock for open and closed. The Battery will stay on the original place you have not to move to other place. Airflow will be the same like before with original Gastank cover. Thank you, Joe
----- Original Message ----- From: "boxenstoppdaytona" <[email protected]>
To: "Justin" <[email protected]>
Sent: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 10:49 AM
Subject: Re: Vmax 7 liter tank

HI Justin, thank you for your e-mail. The 7 Liter Gastank cost Euro 768.00 if you change in US Dollar $ 1078.00 plus shipping $ 65.00. Gastank is very easy for install and coming with all of hard ware you will need. Have you any question send some e-mail or call me. Phone: 386-226-2077 Thank you, Joe
----- Original Message ----- From: "Justin" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 10:04 AM
Subject: Vmax 7 liter tank

Good morning Joe,

I was on the vmax forum and many had good things to say about you and your business. I am getting my first vmax this weekend (a 1st gen). I was looking at the 7 liter gas tank to replace the faux tank cover. I have yet to talk to anyone that has done this mod themselves so I thought I would ask you what you know about it.

Is it bolt on with some tubing work to connect to existing gas tank?

What do we do with the battery?

Do this restrict airflow to the airbox?

Any and all information would be helpful as I am trying to increase the range of my vmax without doing any major cutting or modifation that take away from the stock look. (The passenger seat replacement is NOT an option).

Thanks in advance
Justin=

Here is the response from thunder mfg:

Good afternoon Mr. Xxxxx,

The only thing we do with gas tanks it set them up to accept NOS bottles - one on each side.

Joyce Rollins

24825 N, 16rh Ave
Phoenix, AZ 85085
623-869-7154
On 7/22/2014 6:41 AM, Justin wrote:
I was informed by a member of the vmax forum that you are able to make a tank to create more capacity. If so, I would like to hear more of what you have to offer. I am open to replacing the current tank with one that uses more open space to create additional capacity as well as replacing the faux cover with a real gas tank. Please let me know what you offer and what your experiences have been as I am looking for more capacity but want to avoid any major cutting and modification.

Thanks
Justin

I guess things have changed... friggin shame too, cause if they can do all the cutting and welding involved to install those pockets, then they should EASILY be able to make an auxillary tank. Yeah... They lost a potential customer in me. If they DID do custom stuff like I was under the impression that they did, then after getting that done, I would have been willing to make efforts to get stuff from them. Even if it meant adapting things from other rides that they DO sell stuff for.

But... since they do not... I have ZERO reason to do business with them.

I guess things have changed... friggin shame too, cause if they can do all the cutting and welding involved to install those pockets, then they should EASILY be able to make an auxillary tank. Yeah... They lost a potential customer in me. If they DID do custom stuff like I was under the impression that they did, then after getting that done, I would have been willing to make efforts to get stuff from them. Even if it meant adapting things from other rides that they DO sell stuff for.

But... since they do not... I have ZERO reason to do business with them.

The only thing I can think of is seeing what size nos pockets could be utilized on the faux tank cover and have them put an 1/8"hole at the bottom of each pocket for the fuel line and utilize the coyote tanks instead of nos tanks and get extra mileage through tanks mounted that way and chrome the tanks for a different look.

Sounds like a stretch but could be interesting.

The only thing I can think of is seeing what size nos pockets could be utilized on the faux tank cover and have them put an 1/8"hole at the bottom of each pocket for the fuel line and utilize the coyote tanks instead of nos tanks and get extra mileage through tanks mounted that way and chrome the tanks for a different look.

Sounds like a stretch but could be interesting.

There would not be room... the air box underneath would be in the way

Back