Yamaha FZ-09

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnc1go

Reaction score
I have been looking into the FZ-09 as a first bike for my son. I sat on one the other day and it felt good. Anyone else have any thoughts on this machine? From what I'm reading, I think it would be a good starter bike and fun and I could easily talk my kid into letting me ride it.

If your Son is very mature and not one to use the power available before lots of experience, it may be a good starter bike. But it's kind of big IMHO. It is a better choice that the R6 in a lot of ways. I just sold my FZ8. It had a very comfortable power band, no surprises. It was also capable of 145 mph in a few heartbeats. The FZ9 is most likely capable of 150-155. Again, Is your Son That Mature?:confused2:

When all the magazines love it for being a wheelie monster... Think twice. Gladius or older sv650 will have all the fun, and he'll really get to feel like he's riding it - not along for the ride. Great resale, aftermarket, and easy track conversion, too.

When all the magazines love it for being a wheelie monster... Think twice. Gladius or older sv650 will have all the fun, and he'll really get to feel like he's riding it - not along for the ride. Great resale, aftermarket, and easy track conversion, too.

+1 .....Great starter bike......and a great bike overall for someone at any riding skill level. Does everything well, is fun to ride and inexpensive.

I have an 03 sv650s and I'm a pretty big guy. The sv650s is a blast to ride and has been extremely reliable. I think it is a really nice looking bike also. There are a lot of sv forums that are on parr with this one. Lots of parts available. Virtually limitless modifications. Even at over ten years old I would not hesitate to take it on a long ride or carve the local canyons. Good luck.

Here's a pretty long review of the bike from a guy who bought it. He sort of points out his opinions on the negative things that most reviews gave the bike(suspension and fueling). It's over an hour long review but to sum it up -- its a hell of a bike for the price.

I always sort of shrug with the term starter bike. Simply because I think it comes down to one's skill and control more than a bike IMO. As long as the rider has the maturity to understand never push beyond their skill. But I've always been sort of a "jump in the deep end" sort of person. I mean my "starter bike" was a VMax after all :).

http://youtu.be/SUG1witLFmA

My roommate bought one this winter, I've driven it a few times. While it's fairly light and slim, and has great low end torque, I wouldn't really label it as a beginner's ride. The biggest problem for a new (or experienced) rider is the ridiculously twitchy throttle response, something I've noticed on a lot of newer Yamaha sportbikes.

It's electronically limited to 132mph, which it hits effortlessly. I have no doubt it would do 150+ without the nanny cutting in.

On the same token, it's on a totally different planet from the vmax in terms of handling, brakes, and stability. As reviews have noted the suspension isn't stellar when really pushed hard, but 95% of the time it's comfortable and composed. For the price it's a tremendous bang for your buck.

There's already a few shops working on ECU reflashes to disable the speed limiter and soften the response a bit.

I have to agree with what everyone here has said about the new Yammie triple not being a beginner's bike. Heck, with the right work, it would make for a decent trackday bike even. But for a new rider, maybe the Ninja 650 would be a better choice, or even the 500 Ninja, if the prospective rider is of smaller size.

You can start out on any bike you want. If you have a little common sense and respect the machine and own up to the shortcoming of your skills its a non-issue.

I believe that starting on a small, nimble, and somewhat slow bike is better for a couple reasons. You will have more confidence, you will learn how to ride to the full potential of your machine and you will sharpen your skills much faster in this type of scenario versus having a bike you're afraid to throw around and go WFO on.

You can start out on any bike you want. If you have a little common sense and respect the machine and own up to the shortcoming of your skills its a non-issue.

I believe that starting on a small, nimble, and somewhat slow bike is better for a couple reasons. You will have more confidence, you will learn how to ride to the full potential of your machine and you will sharpen your skills much faster in this type of scenario versus having a bike you're afraid to throw around and go WFO on.

I was also gonna say something similar. I had some work done at Johnny Cheese's shop. He held a record for a Texas Mile run with his '98 busa for a while. He said a busa is a great first bike. Just leave the light. short shift into 5th gear and put around. it makes plenty of torque to do whatever you want and an accidental handful of throttle will not kill you. As you get used to the power, do all the same in 4th, 3rd, etc. Eventually you'll learn where the power is, and how to modulate it accordingly. The biggest problem with "fast" bikes for new riders is that they can get to a place way beyond their abilities pretty fast.

I'm sure we've all been in situations on our current bikes where this is true, as well. You can't push the envelope if you don't know where the edges are.

I'd still go used for that inevitable parking lot tip-over or other stuff, but if you've got the cash, do whatever you want.

The first bike I ever owned was a 1985 V-Max :) The FZ-09 would be easier to manage. I really would like to own one myself.

I sat on the bike at the Motorcycle Show and have read several tests. I don't like the styling but it is what most "standards" are looking like now. I do love the specs though. Especially the light weight. I did read they are thinking about bringing out a sport touring version. That is one I would look at. They will probably have the fueling bugs fixed by then also.

A good starter bike because it is so light and nimble, to goes exactly where you want it to. Bad because this bike takes throttle control. Stay in "b" Mode. It really does like to lift the front end even under non WOT! I'm loving it! Put about 70 miles of twisties on mine yesterday. Really fun.

I have been looking into the FZ-09 as a first bike for my son. I sat on one the other day and it felt good. Anyone else have any thoughts on this machine? From what I'm reading, I think it would be a good starter bike and fun and I could easily talk my kid into letting me ride it.

I would get him a 175cc Dirt Bike . You learn all there is to know on dirt and it probably won't kill him.

Started on dirt also 35 Yes ago. The riding position on the FZ-09 Reminds me of my yz 80!

+1, you can learn a lot about how to handle a bike in the dirt. Plus you don't have cages running you over if you make a mistake.

My first new bike was a real icon of the breed, a Yamaha 360 Enduro, w/reed-valve induction. It took me less than a half-year to turn it into a dirt-only playbike and true enduro/hare-scrambles mount. I still have it. As I have mentioned before here, riding on the street is a piece of cake compared to offroad riding or racing. Learn the dirt, and pavement is easy. I think it's the best way to learn to ride.

I also have been following w/interest the FZ-09, same HP as the average Gen I stock, but over 100 lb less, and modern suspension, fueling, and brakes. What's not to like?

I started out on a 95 Suzuki RM125 dirtbike and crashed and burned alot! Upgraded to an 86 Honda XT600 enduro, hit the streets and was hooked. Upgraded again to a 99 Suzuki Katana 600, then sold it and finally bought my 85 Max that I had wanted for 10 years. I would love an FZ-09 for an everyday bike now.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

My first bike was a YZ80 when I was 12 it was much fun and helps with future street riding, no doubt. I want to thank everyone so far for the input and as of now, this wheelie tendency of the FZ-09 makes me think that my kid isn't responsible or skilled enough yet to handle such a machine. I think it's a nice bike and I've listened to the exhaust note the thing makes with a 2 Brothers full exhaust and it sounds really cool to me, so I'm gonna working hard to pay down some debt this summer and hopefully next year, pick up a used one at a good price.

Back