Yamaha vs Star branding

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redbone

Reaction score
I have been looking at the Yamaha site for the last year and seeing the separation of the two brands. I would like to guage your feelings on the Vmax being moved to the Star brand. Is the badging that important to you? What would your response be if someone asked you if you own a "Star Vmax"? What is the strategic importance to Yamaha by including the Vmax with the Star brand?

I don't have an answer but it does seem almost like they are splitting the company into two separate brands.

Maybe they think that "Star" sounds more American and they are using that brand to compete against Harley. IMO, Yamaha has always been a big player in performance bikes, ATV's, and PWC and that's what they are marketing under the Yamaha Brand.

I'm not a marketing expert but doesnt GM do somewhat of the same thing by having Chevrolet, Buick, Cadillac, Olds, ect? I think they all have a different target market.

All of that said, I would rather see the Vmax stay under the Yamaha brand.

I for sure think it originated as an attempt to allow people with imitation harleys not to have to have "Yamaha" on the side of their bike; possibly giving it some market advantage.

In the case of the Vmax I think it's just plain stupid and don't see how it provides any marketing advantage; Everyone out there see's "Star" and except for the Royale knows it's a Vtwin and the most serious copy of a Harley yet with the single pin crankshaft, pushrods and rocker arms etc.

Most people don't have a clue the Royale is a V4 most of the time, hell, except for those that know what a Vmax is most often they take one glance at the Max and think it's a Vtwin also, till they hear it fire up and sometimes not even then,,,,,

I think Yamaha should have been proud enough to Badge it as a Yamaha and make the claim to future glory under Yamaha badging and not Star; It's certainly not going to be competing with the Harley or imitation Harley crowd, unless they totally redesigned the prototype to look like a Warrior or something, which I hope like hell they didn't do.

I much prefer the strretfighter/naked bike look to yet another cruiser looking bike that's going to be percieved by those not in the know as yet another pathetic attempt to infringe on the "Harley Mystique"

In the end tho' don;t care if they badge it as Yamaha, Star, or cheng-ding-phuk-dong, .....

I want one,,,,

I just hope this whole conversation isn't a hypothetical one....

Rusty

once you start modding the bike-how much is left that still says yamaha anyway? scoops-replaced, side covers-replaced, rear fender-replaced, all engine covers-replaced. i think the only place left on mine would be the headlight mount lol.

odieoh24

I'm just concerned if the parts will be easy to find oversea.
Yamaha has a lot of distributors, will it be the same with a "star" brand ?

Latest posts

Back