First Time racer

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sprockets

Reaction score
Ran my 93 vmax at the drags for the first time last wednesday at eastern creek raceway in sydney. Did a best of 11.8 116mph. Got the bug now and wanna get down to the low 11s or even the high tens. Any tips? The bike is completly standard at the moment

Ran my 93 vmax at the drags for the first time last wednesday at eastern creek raceway in sydney. Did a best of 11.8 116mph. Got the bug now and wanna get down to the low 11s or even the high tens. Any tips? The bike is completly standard at the moment

Get some more seat time in and work on your launches and 60' times. when they drop so will your e.t.

Also score yourself a fork strap, for the front end. that will aid in the launches.
http://www.orientexpress.com/produc...ce=googlebase&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=gb

And give this a good read, I'm sure you'll get something out of it. It's how to launch a Vmax by Dale Walker.
http://www.vmaxoutlaw.com/tech/launching.htm

Thanks, my 60' times were around 2.0 most of the day. Gotta replace the back tyre was struggling for traction a bit

new tyre and strapped front should help with that lol. Any tyre that people recommend? Got a hard as nails qualifier on at the moment

also is it worthwhile goin to a full system and jet kit? Probably wont get down a huge amount wid that mph thats all. Does it make much of a difference? sorry for the dumb questions lol

also is it worthwhile goin to a full system and jet kit? Probably wont get down a huge amount wid that mph thats all. Does it make much of a difference? sorry for the dumb questions lol

A 170 couldn't hurt.
A full system with a jet kit will wake up your bike. I use a Kerker 4-2-1 and a Morley's muscle jet kit.
I can definately feel the improvement in the bottom and midrage. especially the midrange. I've got a little over
a thou in the pipes and jet kit.

Attachments

• Morley Kit.jpg
    Morley Kit.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 31
  • P1030128.jpg
    P1030128.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 37
Gday Sprocket.
I'm running at the Goldenstates this Friday at Kwinana Motorplex over here in Perth. Good to see another Aussie keeping the dream alive mate!
Like they all said, practise, practise, practise. Bloody good fun.

Drop the rear tire presure down to about 13 to 15 psi .I usually bring the front tire up to around 45 to 48 psi . lower the forks in the trees and strap it. Wire you a toggle switch to kill the head light either in low or high and run it with light off.(soldier the electrical fitting).If you are spinning and you got a stock seat , it works great and alows you to slide your weight more to the rear or front if lifting the tire.(the notched out seats do not alow you to move your weight where u need to) You got to get the bike to launch either at the v boost or near to it if you want to be fast. The stock max is nothing compared to the bikes the guys are running so yu got to really do a nut check on the launch.I also us my right foot on the passenger peg to help me stay on the bike with the stock seat. Once i droped to high 1.30s 60 ft with no bar i had to make a addition back brace that slides under the tank lift section of the seat. sorry typed so sloppy JOHN

Hey modnrod, got a mate flyin over to race at the goldenstates this weekend. Would be goin to if i didnt have so much on. Gonna try a new rear tyre and droppin through the tripples next time im out. Hopin to get out next week but depends on cash as im half way thru buyin a house and movin

Gday Sprocket, good to hear some of your guys are coming over, we're friendly until the 1st round, and the air is great!:biglaugh:

I can't wait! I haven't done a National meet for years. I don't expect to get past the 1st round to be honest, but it will be cool to see all the guys again, more a social outlet for me, and hey, you never know I might send some long-bikes home. If the 1st one doesn't get me, usually the 2nd or 3rd will......:bang head:
I'm looking forward to seeing the Pro Stock bikes especially, none over here, all the big boys here run from Competition straight into Fuel bikes.

What's your mates name?

Use the shortest (many times the smallest) tire that will let you hook up. A good condition 150/90 (stock) size tire will hook up just fine. Even better would be to get a 17" wheel conversion and then run a low profile slick (there is only really one size to get anyway). You can actually run a street 17" shoot out tire and hook incredibly well too. The shorter tires give you a better ratio for accelerating.

Then as noted you can strap the front end, remove un-needed weight, and get a good header/jet kit.

I've been 10.98 on a stock engined bike with Kerker, our Jet kit, 170/60/17" tire on Kosman wheel, my 220lb body, and all other stuff still on the bike (nothing removed to save weight).

I went 11.40's on my 2005 with bald tire and spinning. Look for low 1.70's to high/mid 1.60's to have good 60 foot times for a mostly stock bike. 1.30's is for bikes with a ton more HP and usually slicks and bars. To do that without those is VERY good.

Sean

At the moment the bike is completely standard, exhaust jets and everything. I weigh about 90kgs (200 odd pound) proll stay wid the 150 to keep it nimble when corner carving. gonna get something stickier tho and strap the front, Then looking at a full system and jet kit when i get a bit better. Anything reccomended.My mate is Craig Bonwick i work with him he is running a fuel bike

Forgot to say modnrod, good luck, and dont worry about where u come as long as your out there having a go

I could sell you a Kerker, Comp Baffle, and one of our Jet Kits.

Sean

Gday Sprocket.
I don't know Craig as a mate, but know his face well enough, good to see all those boys make the trip over, long hike.
And yeah, for me it's for fun this weekend. You really gotta have the "eye" if you know what I mean when your on a streeter against long-bikes, and I only get to race a few times a year, so I don't!
Last meet ran a few 1.78/1.80's with an off-idle launch pretty easy with the IRC 150/90x15, and super-smooth on the drivetrain, you can run that stuff all day with a bit of practise, and enjoy the crap out of the day without stressing about riding home when you're done. Have a good go mate, it's very addictive.........

Back