Backrest/Luggage Rack

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MtnMax/Magniac

Reaction score
I've made a few items for metric cruisers. I've had my Max a few months now, and I made some brackets to adapt a backrest and rack from another bike.
My rack is solid 6061-T6 aircraft grade aluminum, not hollow tubing like OEM racks which are rated for 6-10 lbs, and it can support much heavier loads. I have the same rack on a Magna which supports a 24-lb (wet) auxiliary fuel tank which has been mounted for 2 years and over 10,000 miles with no problems.

Attachments

• P1000627.JPG
    P1000627.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 444
  • P1000629.JPG
    P1000629.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 395
  • P1000630.JPG
    P1000630.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 404
Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, no drawings, but I can make more. Send me an e-mail if interested:
doval66 at comcast dot net
Personaly im not using stock seat and do not have posibility to install those things on my bike.
I was just curious how its construced and posting the drawnings here may be useful to some gyus who wanted something like this.
Thanks for willing help anway, if you could make them and post here im sure many folks will be appreciated. :punk:

Jdk203
It is the aircraft grade.

I haven't seen the aftermarket seat, but I'm pretty sure the brackets will work regardless of what seat you are using.

im interested in a backrest, it looks like a honda shadow or magna sissy bar,

do you have to drill anything?

whats ur price?

LOL, you had your chance! I actually have another one on hand (nicer then the one that was on the bike when you got it) and I think I have one coming in too that will be available. The oem backrest I will guarantee is stronger then the one he made. BUT, the rack he makes is larger and still looks good. The OEM is not hollow tubing by the way.

Depending on his price though it may be a very good option since these things are getting harder and harder to find since Yamaha discontinued them. Looking at anywhere from $400 and up for one.

Sean

I can come up with a price in a day or two. To clarify, most OEM racks are hollow tubing, not the backrests. I made the rack originally as a replacement for my Magna because I mounted a 2-gallon aux fuel tank on the stock rack, which broke after a few months. When I bought the Max, I wanted a backrest and rack for it as well, but couldn't find anything for a reasonable price. So I used a stock Honda backrest (solid bar stock, not hollow, BTW) and made the rack (CNC-machined from 1/2" Aluminum plate & polished) and fabbed the mounting brackets from steel plates which mount to existing bolts under the pillion. It's very strong. If I make them to sell, I can price with brackets and backrest, or brackets and rack, or all 3. I'm not looking to get rich, just want to make a couple of bucks while helping.

The OEM one is not only expensive, but it looks like a pain to take on and off because it replaces the grab bar. when i go to bike shows(every weekend) the sissy bar has to come off!!!!!

The OEM one is not only expensive, but it looks like a pain to take on and off because it replaces the grab bar. when i go to bike shows(every weekend) the sissy bar has to come off!!!!!

get the virago grab bar to fit in its place.

Correct. The easiest way to swap them is to get another fender, grabrail, and turn signals. Then swap the whole mess. The rentec bar is quickly removeable too. I can send someone one lower chunk if we need proof it's not hollow like many cheaper racks. That's partly the reason they were expensive even when available new.

Sean

Correct. The easiest way to swap them is to get another fender, grabrail, and turn signals. Then swap the whole mess. The rentec bar is quickly removeable too. I can send someone one lower chunk if we need proof it's not hollow like many cheaper racks. That's partly the reason they were expensive even when available new.

Sean

no offense sean, i'd hardly consider the renntec quickly removable. it has to be slowly taken off as it really fits right in there. plus you have to have a spare set of hardware laying around as the bolts are all different sizes. you then either have to move your directionals or mount them to your plate. its easier than say swapping out an OEM grab bar for sissy bar b/c u don't have to remove it from the fender but takes a lot longer than HAC, moving an oem backrest for a virago bar or removing the corbin backrest.

I may be incorrect and that the HAC may be the one I am thinking of. I usually just use the OEM bar. I think it's funny to whoop on the other bikes with the sissy bar sticking up in the air. Nothing more humiliating for the other bike. Plus you never know when you will need to hit the gas and since I tend to ride a passenger a lot I would eject them from the back pretty quickly.

Sean

I may be incorrect and that the HAC may be the one I am thinking of. I usually just use the OEM bar. I think it's funny to whoop on the other bikes with the sissy bar sticking up in the air. Nothing more humiliating for the other bike. Plus you never know when you will need to hit the gas and since I tend to ride a passenger a lot I would eject them from the back pretty quickly.

Sean

agreed. thats why i keep it. i like my girl in one piece!

heres the pic of my renntec (and your new directionals installed) which btw are much brighter, thanks again, let me know when u get the other bulbs in.

Attachments

• 2010-02-21 15.10.58.jpg
    2010-02-21 15.10.58.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 173
OK, got some numbers, and it looks like this. I can supply the backrest w/mounting brackets for about $230, or the luggage rack w/mounting brackets for about $140, or the backrest & rack combo w/mounting brackets for about $350. Probably seems high, but it's a one-off build, not a production item. Cutting, bending and drilling the brackets is a pretty time-consuming process, and then they have to be powder-coated. They could ship about 10-14 days after the order is placed. If there was any further demand, this could probably be improved by making several at a time. Any takers?

Last edited:
Back